Premium VS Voom Poll

Would you rather the new premium channel additions or the Voom channels

• Total voters
Premiums cost extra. Voom WAS part of the package I still pay for now. All channels show repeats, at 15 channels of real 1080i, Voom wins for me. Although it'll probably not come back.:(
My thoughts exactly! I was never a big fan of nor sub to HBO, Starz, Encore, etc. (Altho' I did like Sundance a lot!) I watched during the freebee periods and never saw enough that would make me want to pony-up the extra $$. When the voom channels were (in my "deal" at the time) just another $5/mo. and HD selection was otherwise quite limited, that was a completely different story. If we had to pay for voom channels whatever it is that folks are currently paying for the HD premiums, then I might not consider the option now, especially with the growing selection of "free" HD national channels. If we could chose either voom or premiums without extra cost I'd probably still go with voom assuming the programming is essentially the same as it was before Dish pulled the plug...

yup.. kinda funny..... anyway.. I wouldn't really put too much stock into the poll.. other than that it is a poll for fun on a satellite forum. If either side wanted, they could raise their votes. Heck, I'm sure there are people voting that are not even subs to E*. :rolleyes:

Could be true but IMO this poll is very accurate. The poll starter should do this full-time.

Last edited:
I didnt find Jeffro34tx to be anti-Voom in his comment. I thought he was merely stating that this is an unscientific poll, and as such, people who dont give a rat's ass one way or the other could skew the poll either way just for fun.

And the poll is dead-on in one way...145 votes (Premiums) to 145 votes (Voom), at this moment... (Somebody should send these results to D*, E* and V*) :D

I didnt find Jeffro34tx to be anti-Voom in his comment. I thought he was merely stating that this is an unscientific poll, and as such, people who dont give a rat's ass one way or the other could skew the poll either way just for fun.

And the poll is dead-on in one way...145 votes (Premiums) to 145 votes (Voom), at this moment... :D

Your correct. I'll edit my post.

And the poll is dead-on in one way...145 votes (Premiums) to 145 votes (Voom), at this moment... (Somebody should send these results to D*, E* and V*) :D

Do you agree with Jeffro?

Your poll has insignificant numbers, but buy SatGuys community standards, it does reflect — there was and is a desire for alternative programming, and it was to their advantage when offering it; distinct, one of a kind programming, outside the mainstream, was, for a while, what helped Dish stand out...

I truly miss the diverse, commercial free programming, Voom offered... it was truly different, and not for everyone... I would have gladly paid $15 per month for the channels v $10.

"outside the mainstream" "different, and not for everyone" Most people won't pay extra for that. They will for premium channels. Since Dish in business to make money Premiums are the smart move for them.

Maybe you would pay extra for Voom, but when given the option to drop the voom channels and pay $10 less peole jumped at it. Enough for Dish to drop voom.

Do you agree with Jeffro?
I re-read his two posts in this thread, and I feel that he provided comments that indicate he put thought into his responses. I don't agree with everything he said, but certainly respect how he weighed each point he responded to.

And to the validity of this poll, we know this poll and any other on this site is not scientific, and that Voom fans could be over-represented, but Voom fans are a smaller part of of Satguys, and it is equally likely that Voom NON-fans could be over-represented in voting for either the Premiums or Neither. We'll never really know, unless we dissected who voted, and interviewed them to ascertain the motivation for their vote.

This thread, and all the other Voom threads need to be moved into the area that discusses bringing back 8 tracks...
I'm not a VOOM hater; I signed up for it 7 years ago when it was a stand alone service, and kept it all the way until it died recently...but, its dead and gone, and its not coming back...

C'mon people, VOOm is dead and gone, so do we really need more discussion on "what would you like to see on VOOM if it comes back"?

This subject has been beaten to death endlessly...can't we just let Voom die with dignity, and stop posting all this nonsense about what if and what might happen?

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN VOOM IS GONE LET IT REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread, and all the other Voom threads need to be moved into the area that discusses bringing back 8 tracks...
I'm not a VOOM hater; I signed up for it 7 years ago when it was a stand alone service, and kept it all the way until it died recently...but, its dead and gone, and its not coming back...

C'mon people, VOOm is dead and gone, so do we really need more discussion on "what would you like to see on VOOM if it comes back"?

This subject has been beaten to death endlessly...can't we just let Voom die with dignity, and stop posting all this nonsense about what if and what might happen?

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN VOOM IS GONE LET IT REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI - This poll, and thread, was started by an anti-VOOMer.

if voom would have converted over to mpeg4 they would probably still be on dish..instead they were dropped..this kinda like saying I hope they bring back the TRS-80...

As a subscriber to an HD-only package and, more recently, to HBO, Starz, and Cinemax, I would tend to favor the premiums over Voom. Voom was a good idea, but in my opinion, failed to deliver. I would definitely welcome back a couple of its offerings, GameplayHD and KungFu HD in particular, but only with a serious attempt to update the programming. I can only watch the 2006 Starcraft tournament so many times without getting bored...

I think that many people could agree that if Voom put more resources into original programming as well as updated syndication (shows from 2007, not 1967 please?), that it would deserve to get its bandwidth back.

I agree with maybe 5 channels but they need to put $ into programming. 15 is just too much to ask any provider to pick up. I'd be happy with their 5 most popular. See Spatch I'll meet you half way.

I agree with maybe 5 channels but they need to put $ into programming. 15 is just too much to ask any provider to pick up. I'd be happy with their 5 most popular. See Spatch I'll meet you half way.

I agree... some channels could have been combined as they served similar genres... The MPEG4 issue is a valid one, as well...

Their vision was, without question, bold and an excellent one... in practice, it was another. Voom programming was superb, for those demo's who appreciated it... I did.

Given Cablevision screwed up their DBS attempt, there's no reason to assume incompetence isn't at the helm, in relation to Voom. :no

Hmm, I wonder where I've heard this before?

It isn't that I dislike Voom. I dislike that Voom was over priced and over rated. They basically had about 5 channels worth of material that was stretched out to 15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)