Premiun Plus Start-Up

Flinthill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
West Central Texas
I have read Stargaze and RADAR's A to Z Users Guide and it has been a great help in getting started.

I must have overlooked something because in the process of turning on the receiver for the first time and setting up the resolution, time, date, etc I must have deleted the three key files(channels, antenna & DVBS.dat). As soon as I had entered the config info I checked the File Manager to locate the three files. They were not there (or at least I couldn't find them). Could it be the factory didn't load them?

Before I turned on the power to the receiver for the first time I had connected it to the wired LAN. Thinking I could likely d/l the factory files and get a fresh start, I had it do an upgrade. However, still could not find the files. At this point I am looking for suggestions on where to locate and how to import these files.

Is it possible to import the channel list, or for that matter all three files, from one user with the same setup to another? My setup is straight forward: a receiver connected directly to a 22" stearable (STAB), single lobe (KU) dish with no intervening diseque switch.

Flinthill

I have read Stargaze and RADAR's A to Z Users Guide and it has been a great help in getting started.

I must have overlooked something because in the process of turning on the receiver for the first time and setting up the resolution, time, date, etc I must have deleted the three key files(channels, antenna & DVBS.dat). As soon as I had entered the config info I checked the File Manager to locate the three files. They were not there (or at least I couldn't find them). Could it be the factory didn't load them?

Before I turned on the power to the receiver for the first time I had connected it to the wired LAN. Thinking I could likely d/l the factory files and get a fresh start, I had it do an upgrade. However, still could not find the files. At this point I am looking for suggestions on where to locate and how to import these files.

Is it possible to import the channel list, or for that matter all three files, from one user with the same setup to another? My setup is straight forward: a receiver connected directly to a 22" stearable (STAB), single lobe (KU) dish with no intervening diseque switch.

Flinthill

If you haven't scanned the satellites yet, some of these files may not be displayed???? Never thought to look for them without a scanned channel list before. Since they are a file and not a folder, they may simply not have been created or generated yet.

I would just attempt to scan one satellite and then look again.

RADAR

RADAR
I'm probably not looking in the right place. I scanned in two satellites and went back to the "File Manager" section and still no indication of the basic files. The folders that were there are Movies, Music, Photos, TV Record, Download, Network. Each of the folders are empty. Any suggestions where to look???

Flinthill

I know of no place to be able to locate the files you want using your remote.

The only way to be able.(that I know of), to view these files is to use one of the editor programs. Maz3 or FileZilla. There are others some have mentioned but I only posted what I have used.

Flinthill,

Stargaze is correct. The files you are seeking are in the "root" directory and you cannot locate this via the remote control access. I don't know how to describe these files, but they are files perfectly which "run in the background" and "store information" and they are not accessible from the remote or front panel. You must use Filezilla or MaZEdit or some other related FTP client progam to access them. They are "hidden" from the menus that can be accessed via the remote.

RADAR

I was expecting to be able to view the data (.dat) files with the File Manager. But, that appears not possible. I did backup today onto a memory stick and the "CHANNELS.BAK" file was there, so that is some assurance the system is working properly. I went ahead and downloaded the "Toolbox Azbox HD 1.2" today but at this early point I'm more interested in getting the receiver configured than transferring and editing files.

RADAR

Well, the short answer is yes. The longer answer is more complicated.

At present the P+ is connected to a Foretec 22” steerable (STAB) Ku, HH setup. This setup is just for getting the initial configuration and satellites/channels set into the receiver. Once that is completed the box will be hooked up to a 10 ft. BUD using a Gbox to control the actuator. I will change out the two Norsat LNB’s (Ku & C) in favor of the combined LNBF unit.

Once the BUD and the P+ is working well together I will install a 1.2m (or larger) fixed dish pointed at AMC 21. The BUD and the fixed dish will be connected with a diseque switch and then to the P+.

I will reconnect the Coolsat 3000 to the 22” Foretec and it will camp semi-permanently on Telstar 14, 63 deg.

I am curious as to the reason for your question. Hope I haven’t bored you with the answer.

Flinthill

Last edited:
SETUP QUESTIONS

Can someone tell me what the 0/12V function is used for in the Premium + "Antenna Setup" menu?

Also, the same menu provides the option to turn on or off the power to the LNB. When would this utility be needed?

The "Advanced Scan"/"Modulation" menu has three options: DVB-S/QPSK, DVB-S2/QPSK AND DVB-S2/8PSK: Where do I find this information and what parameters determines which one is selected?

Thanks,

Flinthill

Flinthill,

I was curious about your satellite system as I was wondering if you wanted to experiment with the sat / channel list that I generated for my Ku H-H dish. If you are interested, let me know and I will post them for you. You would, of course, need to keep them separate from your own lists / files so they don't get mixed up.

Beyond that, now that you have MaZEdit (since you have downloaded the TOOLBOX), you will be able to view these files once MaZEdit is set up. I will provide some screen shots of MaZEdit so you can kinda get an idea of how to navigate around the menus.

Sorry, they are not in chronological order. I am not sure how to upload them and keep them in order. I may have to upload them one at a time.

RADAR

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_05 Nov. 02 10.59.gif
    ScreenHunter_05 Nov. 02 10.59.gif
    69.6 KB · Views: 178
  • ScreenHunter_10 Nov. 02 11.04.gif
    ScreenHunter_10 Nov. 02 11.04.gif
    88.8 KB · Views: 162
  • ScreenHunter_06 Nov. 02 11.01.gif
    ScreenHunter_06 Nov. 02 11.01.gif
    91 KB · Views: 147
  • ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 02 10.56.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 02 10.56.gif
    104 KB · Views: 148
  • ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 02 10.56.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 02 10.56.gif
    102.1 KB · Views: 160
  • ScreenHunter_09 Nov. 02 11.04.gif
    ScreenHunter_09 Nov. 02 11.04.gif
    82.4 KB · Views: 164
  • ScreenHunter_03 Nov. 02 10.57.gif
    ScreenHunter_03 Nov. 02 10.57.gif
    67 KB · Views: 131
  • ScreenHunter_07 Nov. 02 11.01.gif
    ScreenHunter_07 Nov. 02 11.01.gif
    97.6 KB · Views: 169
  • ScreenHunter_11 Nov. 02 11.18.gif
    ScreenHunter_11 Nov. 02 11.18.gif
    92.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
RADAR

Yes, I would certainly like to try your sat/channels list. I will back up my list before writing over them. I have only scanned in two satellites so it they wouldn’t be much of a loss. I haven’t installed MazEdit yet but your thumbnails look encouraging. Is there a way that I can print them out so I will have some reference when I start digging into it?

I’m having a little trouble reading the Azbox menus because I’m still using an old CRT @ 480i resolution. Have ordered a new TV and that should help these tired old eyes. The new one is an LED w/1080p resolution. :>)

BTW, I took your advice and changed the P+ to a static address. Do you think I need to also setup static addresses for all computers connected to the router? I also have the observatory connected to the router with a four port switch there. There are several computers connected to that switch. Do they also need static addresses?

It is coming up on New Moon this month and we are going to a dark sky site for a few clear nights of observing. (Haven’t had the telescope set up for nearly a month) I apologize, but during that time will be completely out of contact with the electronic world.

Your offer is very generous. Thank you.

Flinthill

Flinthill,

No, I don't know of any way to print these files out yet. I have been looking for something, too. I have tried the ordinary programs, like Excel, word, and other generic text editors. Nada.

I have found that it works just fine if only the AZBox is set up with a static IP address. It is much easier to leave all the computers and the routers as they are. I tried it both ways and both worked fine, but it was a pain to set up. I just leave all other devices set to use DHCP.

So, you are an astronomer? Cool! I always loved watching Jack Horhkeimer's "Star Gazer" on PBS! Remember... "Keep Looking Up!" :) So sad that he passed away. I also love to follow APOD.

As for the channel and sat files. I would open and set up the MaZEdit program and use FTP to transfer the three *.dat files to your PC (all_channels.dat, antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat). Then copy them to an external disc or thumb drive to save for your backups and delete the originally downloaded files from your PC. Deleting these files is necessary so that you don't mix them up with mine.

Then open the ACC program (AzBox Control Center) and set it up to communicate with your AZBox just the same as with MaZEdit. Then download the three files again, so that you can see where ACC wants to drop them. Then, delete those files and replace them with the ones I posted here (all three files are in the zip folder - so unzip them) and send them to the AZBox using ACC.

Once you have them sent over to the AZBox, you will have to go to the SETTINGS > TV CHANNEL > TUNER A > ANTENNA SETUP and scroll through all the satellites in the list and make sure that the LNB Frequency or type and all the switch settings, etc are correct for your system.

My system is setup using the linear side of the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF, so all sats have 10750 for LNB Freq. I also have NO switches configured, so that is all set to OFF or default values.

For my motor, I use USALS for every satellite except Hispasat (I use DiSEqC 1.2 for it). You will have to go into the SETTINGS > TV CHANNEL > TUNER A > ANTENNA SETUP > POSITIONER SETUP and open the USALS option and enter your own coordinates for latitude and longitude. You only need to do this for ONE satellite. That will change the same information for all the other sats (of course).

Have fun and "Keep Looking Up!"

RADAR

Attachments

• RADARS_AZBox_DAT_LISTS.zip
    48.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
RADAR

Jack Horkheimer was a tremendously respected individual in the amateur astronomer community. Over time he had underwritten many awards and programs for amateur astronomers, especially for young, budding enthusiasts. He will be missed and long remembered for his personality and contributions.

I downloaded the file so it will be ready for installation when I return. Hopefully the new TV will be here at about the same time so I can see what I'm doing. If this file works it will save an enormous amount of time and effort. I'll keep you posted.

Many Thanks,

Flinthill
+

RADAR

Jack Horkheimer was a tremendously respected individual in the amateur astronomer community. Over time he had underwritten many awards and programs for amateur astronomers, especially for young, budding enthusiasts. He will be missed and long remembered for his personality and contributions.

I downloaded the file so it will be ready for installation when I return. Hopefully the new TV will be here at about the same time so I can see what I'm doing. If this file works it will save an enormous amount of time and effort. I'll keep you posted.

Many Thanks,

Flinthill
+

Flinthill,

Regarding Jack Horkheimer, I was immensely impressed with him, with his style and his personality. His shows were so much fun to watch (albeit they were short), but they were extremely informative. I also loved the shows that Dr. Carl Sagan put on, "Cosmos". He is a character, too. Just like Jack! Heh Heh... "Billions and Billions of stars" :)

When you get around to utilizing the files that I posted, I am sure that you will appreciate them. I think my list is pretty good as far as completeness, but there are more satellites that you can possibly add as you go. I have some of satellites included (set up) between 30°W and 61°W, but I don't seem to be able to scan any channels from them. Once in a while, I get a feed signal that comes in with a % quality signal in the high 90's. But, when they aren't transmitting those feeds, I detect nothing. I think there about 43 Ku band satellites total. Around 28 to 32 of those actually have channels scanned in.

Hope you enjoy!

RADAR

SETUP QUESTIONS

Can someone tell me what the 0/12V function is used for in the Premium + "Antenna Setup" menu?

Also, the same menu provides the option to turn on or off the power to the LNB. When would this utility be needed?

0/12V is an optional A/B switch activator. Normally one uses it on a receiver that has only one IF input and a feed with two LNB outputs (e.g. C/Ku or H/V). The trouble with its use on an AZBox is it's tied to a satellite rather than a polarity or a band. Because my feed dictates I use one for C, I'm stuck at one C polarity per satellite.

There's no need for, and often it's bad for the equipment, to try to provide power to the LNB from more than one source, particularly more than one at a time. High block splitters commonly pass power only through one port to prevent this. If you use a power inserter (such as a Pico Macom SPI-14/18-2150 as I do, 4 altogether actually), there's no need for LNB power to come from any receiver.

RADAR

Well, the short answer is yes. The longer answer is more complicated.

At present the P+ is connected to a Foretec 22” steerable (STAB) Ku, HH setup. This setup is just for getting the initial configuration and satellites/channels set into the receiver. Once that is completed the box will be hooked up to a 10 ft. BUD using a Gbox to control the actuator. I will change out the two Norsat LNB’s (Ku & C) in favor of the combined LNBF unit.

Once the BUD and the P+ is working well together I will install a 1.2m (or larger) fixed dish pointed at AMC 21. The BUD and the fixed dish will be connected with a diseque switch and then to the P+.

I will reconnect the Coolsat 3000 to the 22” Foretec and it will camp semi-permanently on Telstar 14, 63 deg.

I am curious as to the reason for your question. Hope I haven’t bored you with the answer.

Flinthill

flinthill i highlighted something of interest to me. i am under the impression that the norsat lnb's are extremely good quality units. i am guessing your thinking is since the chaparral feedhorn they are connected to needs an old receiver to control the H/V polarity motor and you want to eliminate that piece of equipment from your setup. does chaparral make a feedhorn that does not need a polarity motor? maybe one of our fellow members knows. that way you could continue to use those outstanding quality lnb's. the only reason i am suggesting this is my recent negative experiences with the DMX741 lnb/feedhorn combo. it might save you some headaches.

My apologies to everyone for my belated response. We just returned from a trip into West Texas and some beautifully clear skies…just perfect for celestial observing. But, back to the real world of converting my old 4DTV/BUD system to something more current.

RADAR

The new TV hasn’t arrived yet and so will wait until then to install your file. I’m looking forward to getting the P+ into real operation. I was reviewing your post regarding your Invacom QPH-031 LNBF and was wondering what size dish are you using this with and if you can you receive the S-2 format?

MRMAZDA

Good to know now what the 0/12v option can be used for. I don’t think I need it right now but who knows what configuration will be next. Thanks.

BEAVS2112

Now that’s scary. I was within an hour of ordering one of the WS International DMX741U LNBFs when I read your recent post. Can you expand a little on the type of grief it has been giving you? You’re right, I rather not replace the Norsats, they are working fine but I also would rather not use a separate controller to adjust polarity. Do you know of any other manufacturer that makes a C/KU LNBF like the DMX741U? WS Int’l might have a corner on the market right now.

I just took a look at the Chaparral website and found a feedhorn (Bullseye II) that can accept the C and Ku LNBs and does not have a polorotor. You might want to check it out:
hzzp://www.chaparral.net/products/feedhorns/bullseye.html

I changed the first part of the address.

Thanks for bringing your DMX741 difficulties to my attention.

Flinthill

RADAR

I was reviewing your post regarding your Invacom QPH-031 LNBF and was wondering what size dish are you using this with and if you can you receive the S-2 format?

Flinthill

Flinthill,

I use the QPH-031 LNBF on just about everything. 75 cm Winegard, 1.2 M GeoSatPro, Primestars and Channel Masters of various sizes. And yes, I pull in all the various formats (which are actually a function of the receiver and not related to the LNBF).

RADAR

RADAR
The reason I was asking about dish size is to get a feel if my 22' (59 cm) Foretec will be large enough to successfully acquire the S-2 signals on AMC21. The receiver is the Azbox Premium +.

Thanks,

Flinthill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts