Preparing For DISH HD

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
Well, I don't know how long I'll be able to use the 811 receiver but I made the plunge and bought one. I'm only looking for the HD ch's so I just wanted to make sure of what I need.
I need the 110 sat and 61.5 sat for VOOM. I have an old style Directv dish that is already pointing towards 110 with a regular lnb in the 110 slot (legacy). I have my old VOOM dish still pointing at 61.5. So....take the output of the 61.5 and 110 and connect it to a SW-21 switch ...which will connect to my 811. Is that correct?

Ok....thanks for the link. My next question is about running the sw-21 output to a combiner to combine OTA and the DISH sig. I have way to many coax cables running around...so I would like to combine the signal into one coax. I would put the combiner after the output of the sw-21 switch ...correct? Then connect the output of the Dish sig to Sat and the OTA to Ant....then run the one coax into the house to the 811. A while back I had a problem using a combiner with my non-powered ota antenna. Does anyone combine the sig from an OTA Ant and a sat dish? What type of combiner do you use? Does it have DC pass?

yea, use a DIPLEXOR to combine and seperate the two different freq. Sat and OTA. There not much and I think you can get them at Lowes or some places like that. I'm not sure about using a diplexor with a Satellite signal and a Pre-amp powered antenna. I've never tried doing that. I just ran a seperate QS RG11 coax for my antenna to avoid the signal losses involved with a diplexor plus I have a Channel Master 7777 preamp and I didn't now how it would act with the diplexor and the satellite signal/voltage.

vinnyv07 said:
Well, I don't know how long I'll be able to use the 811 receiver but I made the plunge and bought one.
It will be nice to see you back at the VOOM21 Programming Forum. I will assume you will keeping D* and subscribing to the E* HD/VOOM Pack for a while. So far I have been satisfied with the PQ and very happy with the 942...just need more HD.

riffjim4069 said:
It will be nice to see you back at the VOOM21 Programming Forum. I will assume you will keeping D* and subscribing to the E* HD/VOOM Pack for a while. So far I have been satisfied with the PQ and very happy with the 942...just need more HD.
That's just what I am going to do. Since my family really likes Direct's offering and Dish allows subbing to just the HD...which is what I want...everyone is happy. Truth of it is, I really miss MonstersHD. I'm glad to be back.

vinny... I am really hoping that they add new content SOON! though. I'm not saying I'm going to drop it.. but the facts are.. it is the exact same programing as what they had when VOOM was trying to walk with the big boys!!!

Spike said:
vinny... I am really hoping that they add new content SOON! though. I'm not saying I'm going to drop it.. but the facts are.. it is the exact same programing as what they had when VOOM was trying to walk with the big boys!!!
I too am an old Voom'er who has finally gave in and signed up for Dish to get the HD channels again. I sure hope it's not ALL the same Voom stuff that I have already seen. I am also looking forward to the HDNets too.

Spike said:
What you say is true....but, I miss TNTHD for their movies on the weekends. Even though they have commercials and even though some stuff is upconvert. I use to watch alot of B ball and weekend movies on TNT. MonstersHD has had a small amount of new programming....but I still miss the ch alot. I have seen what MonstersHD has shown a ton in my life and really never get tired of watching those movies. So....I break it down to dollars and cents. Right now I'm paying 10.99 for Directv's HD pack. Yes they have ESPNHD2...but I really never watch it. Im not into College football....I do watch ESPNHD. So, for 20 bucks I will now get the VOOM HD ch's (10 of them) plus what I already have ...for the most part ...from Direct. So really it's costing me 9 bucks more a mth ...and I'm getting Monsters back and TNTHD back...two ch's I liked very much. Plus I get to flick around the others...to me it's worth the ten bucks more a mth. Plus I heard the PQ is better than the Direct PQ. I'll see....my receiver is coming on the 22nd. Dish is going to add ESPN2HD , so I feel the leader in HD right now is Dish. So...I'm going to send me HD $$$ that way.

vinnyv07 said:
Plus I heard the PQ is better than the Direct PQ. I'll see....my receiver is coming on the 22nd. Dish is going to add ESPN2HD , so I feel the leader in HD right now is Dish. So...I'm going to send me HD $$$ that way.
I have both... on my set E*PQ wins hands down, but I'm waiting for D* to catch up as I am waiting on some new UHD content and for NHRA to start back up on the duece...

VOOM HD to be bigger and better than before???

About a month ago, I wrote a letter to Mr. Dolan detailing how VOOM HD went from being a valued HD service to being one of near contempt after being moved over to Dish Network: endlessly looping and very little new programming. I received a very nice reply from a GM at VOOM HD Networks the following day.

"We have been working with our new distribution partner, Echostar, to transition VOOM to Dish Network's infrastructure. Within the next few months we will be expanding the channel lineup as well as the total program offering. You can expect the expanded offering by the beginning of the new year; our goal is for you to find it even better in quantity and quality than what you first experienced."

Anyway, we shall see...but I get the feeling there will be a lot to cheer about come January.

any chance of all this being available for dish500 folk?? i had voom and the 2nd antenna--then moved and couldnt put up the 2nd dish(not right away anyway!!)

mattyro said:
any chance of all this being available for dish500 folk?? i had voom and the 2nd antenna--then moved and couldnt put up the 2nd dish(not right away anyway!!)
Right now Voom is not on the 110 or 119 sat....so you need a extra dish to catch it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)