Prepping for HD, satellite question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scrib

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Eagerly awaiting the HD TiVo from Robert at VE. I already have the triple LNB dish and have two lines running into the SD TiVo that will be replaced. So I'm all ready to go.

Question about seeing the satellites. Right now, I am getting 90-95 signal on 101 and 90-95 on 119. Is there a 110 also that comes into play with HD? If so, will my dish need to be repositioned, or since I already see 101 and 119 very well, do I need to do anything?

Thanks!

I see all thre satellites, 101, 110 and 119. 101 and 119 are in the 90-95 range, but the 110 bird is 85-88 consistently... Is that OK, or does the dish need to be tweaked to get them all into the 90s?

Scrib said:
I see all thre satellites, 101, 110 and 119. 101 and 119 are in the 90-95 range, but the 110 bird is 85-88 consistently... Is that OK, or does the dish need to be tweaked to get them all into the 90s?
Perhaps someone with more experience can answer this better, but given that 110 is between 101 and 119, and the geometry of the problem, I'm betting that you couldn't possibly improve 110 without making at least one of the others worse.

Did you check multiple transponders? Perhaps the particular transponder on 110 is lower power. Or maybe the LNB for 110 has lower gain, or the multiswitch in the feed has different loss for that satellite.

Bottom line is that >85 is probably good...with obvious downside of seeing the impact of rain fade slightly sooner.

I believe the 110 satellite is expected to be replaced when the new sats go up. I think one of the existing sats is going to go in its place. So I believe the 110 is lower due to issues with the sat. I have the same issue at my house. 119 and 101 are strong and 110 is pretty weak.

Brewer4 said:
I believe the 110 satellite is expected to be replaced when the new sats go up. I think one of the existing sats is going to go in its place. So I believe the 110 is lower due to issues with the sat. I have the same issue at my house. 119 and 101 are strong and 110 is pretty weak.
I see alot of you guys dont know much and are probably new here so let me clear things up! First of all, if you have a 3 LNB Oval sat, you can get a excellent signal on all 3 sat locations in the 99% Range, I have even seen some people get 100% here in GA. I for one am getting 100% on sats 101 and 119 and 98% on 110. So yes, you can tweak your dish for a better signal with out decreasing your signal on 101 & 119. In fact its possible to improve them a little more but you must use penpoint precision when aiming your dish. Secondly, the above comment about a sat being replace is correct, however its not 110, The sat being replace is located at 101 degrees. I hope this helps and clears up a few things. :rolleyes: BTW, Hogarth is right your signal strength is pretty good as is and you shouldn't have to worry about much sugnal loss during a storm! Unless the MF is blown off the rooftop! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)