Press release from DISH

wolfjc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Cincinnati
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Dec. 1, 2009 – DISH Network today issued the following statement in response to the public’s reaction over the company’s use of the words “Merry Christmas” in a TV commercial (YouTube - We DISH You a Merry Christmas
“Since being called a “Patriot” on last night’s edition of “The O’Reilly Factor,” (Pinheads & Patriots: 11/30 - Video - FOXNews.com), DISH Network has received an outpouring of both support and displeasure from people across the country over the use of the phrase “Merry Christmas” in a holiday greeting to our customers. DISH Network acknowledges and respects the diversity of faith in our country, but at the same time recognizes the overwhelming majority that celebrate Christmas. We cannot imagine that Americans of all faiths would not want to embrace the spirit of the holiday and join us in wishing Christian Americans a very Merry Christmas.”

It is good to see Dish getting something positive for a change.

Most of the time people worry about offending people who are not offended. Personally I love it I posted it to my facebook saying how cool it was for a big company to wish people a merry christmas

Most of the time people worry about offending people who are not offended. Personally I love it I posted it to my facebook saying how cool it was for a big company to wish people a merry christmas

Yes I am so tired of people complaining about being offended if you are offended just change what ever channel or what ever that is offending you and stop talking about it.
We are trying too hard to placate these easily offended folks we should just ignore them.

Last edited:
So basically Dish actually got some email/phone calls expressing displeasure at hearing the phrase "Merry Christmas"? I wonder how these people feel about the fact that the federal holiday is named "Christmas"? Can anyone imagine going to any other country and expressing displeasure about any of their holidays or traditions? I wonder what reaction you would engender.

I would take "Merry Christmas" over the meaningless "Happy Holidays" any day!
In other parts of the world where there are people of multiple religious faiths living side by side, they don't worry about getting offended or offending anyone. If Christmas is not your festival, you just ignore it or join it for the fun of it!

So basically Dish actually got some email/phone calls expressing displeasure at hearing the phrase "Merry Christmas"? I wonder how these people feel about the fact that the federal holiday is named "Christmas"? Can anyone imagine going to any other country and expressing displeasure about any of their holidays or traditions? I wonder what reaction you would engender.

I think what happened was after the commercial, FOX News inducted Charlie into its "patriots" hall of fame for saying Merry Christmas in the commercial.

Of course those who watch FOX News either love it or hate it, so DISH got a lot of email supporting them or hating them. I think the whole "why can't we say Merry Christmas anymore" is something drummed up by some people who wanted attention.

I say "Merry Christmas!" all the time during these time of the year, have not yet found anyone who was offended. People need to stop having imaginary enemies:)

But I must say, Charlie made a brilliant move on this one. He had the Dems, now FOX News on his side, and a whole lot of publicity to go with it. It can't be wrong. He never fails to amaze me with his shrewd moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)