Press Releases galore!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Barneypoo69 said:
My wife is going to kill me..."Honey, I need a new Dish & HD STB's & they'll also have HD-DVR.......please Honey...........WHAP!!...Ouch WHAP!!...thud"

Barney

You and me both -- I'm already going through hell trying to get her to agree to let me get a SC/BEV system for Canadian TV ("Whadda ya mean this DirecTV isn't good enough by itself!")

Barneypoo69 said:
My wife is going to kill me..."Honey, I need a new Dish & HD STB's & they'll also have HD-DVR.......please Honey...........WHAP!!...Ouch WHAP!!...thud"

Barney
ROTFLMAO!!! My thoughts exactly!

hopefully they will be running some sweet new customer promos. i am in tampa and lucky enought that will be one of the markets available at launch. what makes it even better is that this is around the time my commitment with dish is up. if the price is right, that is the nail in the coffin for dish network getting my money.

it is funny that everyone thought dish was going to be the only ones needing to upgrade. direct now will have the same thing. sweet to be a first time customer.

Barneypoo69,
In the same boat as you. I can just hear my wife now if I told her I was going to need to do all these upgrade. "Sleep tight, I sure hope no one pulls a Lorena Bobbit on you when you sleep." Eeeeyowzers!

Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal.

I hope primary includes WB and UPN.

And I sure hope that I didn't drop 1K on a HDTivo that I will only use for 1 year :mad:

I wouldn't be so quick to assume there will be a significant cost, or maybe not any cost, to do the upgrade. D*TV put huge $$$ for "customer retention costs" in their 2005 marketing budget, and I bet it's not for free toasters.

There are too many people affected, and D*TV's pattern of growth (which Murdoch is pushing hard) would be jeopardized. With the Billions in new satellites going up the next 4-18 months, I'd bet on D*TV coming through with a " business prudent" plan to make the migration as required.

My guess is the change will be done gradually in phases in the cities affected by the change, and promotional plans are already in place to address costs. Since they're doing 12 markets first, and then more, they can do this is stages (to string out costs to them as well). :D

Hart5150 said:
I hope primary includes WB and UPN.

And I sure hope that I didn't drop 1K on a HDTivo that I will only use for 1 year :mad:

I was thinking the same thing about WB & UPN being added. In my market UPN and WB both have an HD feed.

This is from the press release:
"Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal."

So we're just going to have to wait till "our" market is on the list to get the upgrades? How is D* going to broadcast MPEG2 to all its customers & the new offererings at MPEG4 for the folks they slowly up grade their STB's? Remember they say the MPEG4 starts mid year of this year.
More questions.....how about the bigger DISH w/5LNB's with multi-switches?
Sorry, just gotta get prepaired for the ....."Honey.......PLEASE?.....ducked on the 1st swing...whew!.....WHAP! THUD!"

The MPEG4 Receiver and new dish will only be needed when they rollout HD to your market, the national HD channels will still be MPEG2

BFG said:
The MPEG4 Receiver and new dish will only be needed when they rollout HD to your market, the national HD channels will still be MPEG2

Since I only need the oval dish w/3LNB's (to get my locals & HD programing) it sounds like we are going to have at least 2 dishes on our homes now for this year & next year "upgrades".
So folks now that have 2 Dishes (72.5 locals & oval for HD programing) will need 3 DISHES?

I think (as scott has talked about before) the dish will replace your current dish, not add on to it.

Sorry, last one for awhile.
Since I can get all my local HD feeds great by OTA, and the national HD will still be MPEG2, this "upgrade" I can do without. Keep my Sony HD300...(but I do want a HD-DVR of somekind in the future though-not this year though).

Barney

Edit: I guess I'll do as you say, wait for more details because acording to the news:
"The new standard in transmission and video compression is being demonstrated on an HD television set in the DIRECTV booth at CES, and will be used by DIRECTV to expand its video offer by launching hundreds of local and national HD channels later this year and in 2007. "
means MPEG4 will be used not only for locals but for national HD channels later this year.....
March I'm having Gregg ISF my HDTV.....I pray D* takes care of us (I know they will) also price increase in a couple months :(

Ok, well Then I'd suggest you just wait some more until we get more details from D*

Will someone please go to Las Vegas and ask them if my HD DRV is going bye bye in a year!!!! I just talked to D* Tech Dept. and informed them of the press release that I read, and she said call back in a week because as of right now the press release is just a press release and not reality..But it was nice of my wife to get me the HR10-250 for Xmas, just hope she doesn't have to get me another one next Xmas.

They dont even have all the local SD channels up yet. If DirecTv tries to charge their customers one red cent for the swapout you can GUARANTEE that customers will be dropping their service in swarms. Cable does not charge for swapouts when they have an upgrade, its included in the cost of their service. This could cause the programming costs to go up noticably though.

Not 100% true at all.

With cable its all rental, they count on long periods of you NOT needing anything new so they can make a killing in profit along the way and they get higher per month costs. So you are really paying for it all along.

If a user has shown a long standing relationship with D* they have proven that they will offer a very fair deal to get you all taken care of with minimal or no cost out of pocket. This can also mean an additonal year program commitment to the newest users; and that seems fair to get new hardware.

A DVR that can network the whole house!!! Plus I see it has caller id ( I love that) & it can mark certain parts of shows. That way I can tag all of Stewies lines on Family Guy.

I have to have that. I wonder if charges for the 2nd & 3rd Tv hookups etc. would still apply?

I can see a LOT of people not going for this one year commitment to get the new hardware. They will say that they didnt ask for the equipment upgrade and that they have already served their original agreement with the company and been with the company all this time and why they would need to have a one year commitment now. Many will just tell them to shove it. Others will understand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.