Price Increase on NFLST for 2010 season

Status
Please reply by conversation.
anyone know what Sky Mexico charges for ST? im tempted to go that route. seems like my area has quite a few Sky dishes around so the signal can't be that bad.

All I got to say is that if DirecTV doesn't offer the Red Zone channel next year without ST, I'm going to seriously consider Dishnetwork. I'm tired of my buddies on Dishnet and cable telling me about how good it is. :mad:

Look, as a college football fan who buys the rsn and gameplan packages every year, you have to weigh this in entertainment.

From Sept to Lat Nov, every Sat my wife and I sit home and watch fball all day, cookout and drink beer. This is the entertainment for that 3 month stretch. What I spend per weekend on the showing is very SMALL.

Weight the $414 out over the season, if you are a big fan, and weight that out at 16 weeks. $26/week; for a fan, no big deal.

If I loved NFL like college, I'd pay it, but I watch neck car.

Wording Update in our system:

With a note that SF still needed for HD so the answer appears to be NO HD not included in that price.

With a note that SF still needed for HD so the answer appears to be NO HD not included in that price.

wow thats bad news! Bad news indeed!...one more person here who will not get to re-up. I mean D* is really pushing it with increases this year. The little increase for the HD DVR package in February I can handle, but going up almost $50 dollars for the Ticket is crazy.....At least in February I can pay the increase and have confidence in the new channel additions soon to come....just---wow?

Wow.... Bye Bye DirecTV. :(

U-verse includes red-zone in their $5 HD package which will suffice from now on for out of market coverage. No dish on my house, MRV and ridiculous internet speed.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks RZ is a good replacement for ST must be a fantasy football only geek. I've tried watching the channel and it is miserable, I want to see my team go down the field and score and actually watch a game, not live highlights.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks RZ is a good replacement for ST must be a fantasy football only geek.

You're wrong, but it's not really germane to the issue.

The cost of this package has gone from $179 to $314 in a span of 8 years. They have tacked on an additional $100 to see these games in HD.

I'm a D sub for the sole benefit of access to Sunday Ticket, they've simply gone too far. Its not about whether I enjoy Sunday Ticket or not, its about what I'm willing to pay for a product which is no better than it was 8 years ago at 45% greater cost, or nearly 60% greater to see it in HD.

Enough is enough.

You're wrong, but it's not really germane to the issue.

The cost of this package has gone from $179 to $314 in a span of 8 years. They have tacked on an additional $100 to see these games in HD.

I'm a D sub for the sole benefit of access to Sunday Ticket, they've simply gone too far. Its not about whether I enjoy Sunday Ticket or not, its about what I'm willing to pay for a product which is no better than it was 8 years ago at 45% greater cost, or nearly 60% greater to see it in HD.

Enough is enough.

Wait, what? Sunday Ticket no better than it was 8 years ago?

HD? Superfan? Claim not to use the features it doesn't offer, that's one thing, but to call it not better is just making your argument look silly.

It IS about whether you enjoy Sunday Ticket or not, cause really you can only speak for yourself.

Less than $25/weekend for several hours of any games of my choosing, in HD, or on my computer at my desk, or the red zone channel, and tracking my FF team via the on screen scores/player tracking widget, spending time with my wife rooting/for against our teams/rivals. Only feature I don't care for is GameMix in HD, but wife likes messing with that.

No better than it was 8 years ago? Really?

Read the rest of my post? What did I list that was available 8 years ago? The DirecTV produced Red Zone channel? The games in HD (were they even in MPEG2 then, which has since been upgraded to MPEG4?) Wasn't it just a bunch of SD games 8 years ago? Short Cuts or whatever those highlights are that people barely notice exist?

You know I am right and you're just being argumentative. If it's not for you then fine, your voice has been heard, feel free to move along and stop trolling the thread just to be negative, we get your point, it's not for you, and you think that watching the NFL's version of Red Zone is a substitute for watching any of 10-12 games of your choosing in HD.

In 2001 the only features that were part of NFL Sunday Ticket were games in SD and a schedule of those games at directvsports.com. Oh, and there were blackouts back then too. Probably the only thing that hasn't changed since 2001.

Read the rest of my post? What did I list that was available 8 years ago? The DirecTV produced Red Zone channel? The games in HD (were they even in MPEG2 then, which has since been upgraded to MPEG4?) Wasn't it just a bunch of SD games 8 years ago? Short Cuts or whatever those highlights are that people barely notice exist?

You know I am right and you're just being argumentative. If it's not for you then fine, your voice has been heard, feel free to move along and stop trolling the thread just to be negative, we get your point, it's not for you, and you think that watching the NFL's version of Red Zone is a substitute for watching any of 10-12 games of your choosing in HD.

In 2001 the only features that were part of NFL Sunday Ticket were games in SD and a schedule of those games at directvsports.com. Oh, and there were blackouts back then too. Probably the only thing that hasn't changed since 2001.

8 years ago, the price was $179. The SD picture quality was better. They didn't charge extra for what was in HD. To get all the "improvments" you mention, you now have to fork over more than $400. If you want to be a fanboy of this, then thats your choice. However, the basic Sunday Ticket package that has gone from $179 to $315 in a span of 8 short years no longer includes HD and now has blackouts, so no, its not a better product. To get the better product (HD given the rest of it is mostly crap - save for Red Zone) you now have to fork over more than $400. You're nuts if you think that equates to a better product.

In 2001 there were blackouts - it says so right here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011020205506/www.directvsports.com/NFLSundayTicket/

(more specifically here - http://web.archive.org/web/20011202122152/www.directvsports.com/NFLSundayTicket/Questions/ )

There also was no HD.

Try again. Me any many others get our $25/weekend (less since it's been trivial to get discounts/free Superfan). If that's too much for a Sunday's worth of football in HD among the other features that were NOT available in 2001, then move on and spare us the irrational hate.

"no better than it was 8 years ago" - Just wow. At least you have a point on pricing, but you've overstepped your argument quite a bit here to make your point. Instead you come across like a Sony press release clinging to percentages to spin your story.

In 2001 there were blackouts - it says so right here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011020205506/www.directvsports.com/NFLSundayTicket/

(more specifically here - http://web.archive.org/web/20011202122152/www.directvsports.com/NFLSundayTicket/Questions/ )

There also was no HD.

Try again. Me any many others get our $25/weekend (less since it's been trivial to get discounts/free Superfan). If that's too much for a Sunday's worth of football in HD among the other features that were NOT available in 2001, then move on and spare us the irrational hate.

"no better than it was 8 years ago" - Just wow. At least you have a point on pricing, but you've overstepped your argument quite a bit here to make your point. Instead you come across like a Sony press release clinging to percentages to spin your story.

Its 2010. In 2002 there were games in HD, not all, but some - and you didn't pay extra unless you include the enormous equipment costs we all shelled out to see it - then had to replace at an even greater cost. Also, as I said, the basic package is no different, yet today it costs 50% more and the blackouts were also not enforced. How do I know this? It was the first year in my new house and my local team sucked and couldn't sell out a game if their life depended on it so everyone was at my house watching them because the local channel was blacked out.

Spin enough for you?

So, as I said, what is so much better about the base Sunday Ticket Package from 8 years ago that justifies a nearly 50% increase in price? HD, SuperFan... Irrelivant. We're talking about the basic package here. The answer - Nothing. You you mean to tell me that a $17 a year increase is somehow justifiable for the same programing? You're nuts.

Last edited:
Still works out for me...6 of us plus guests now and then for my Eagles games, way worth it. Even if there are 8 of the Eagles games on national, that still leaves me 9 games. I understand the grief...but hey, bottom line, if it is worth it to YOU, get it and be happy or complain, or a bit of both. If it is not worth it to YOU, then hey, don't get it, be happy or complain, or both, but for the love of ....please don't anybody tell me what is and what is not worth it for ME!

Still works out for me...6 of us plus guests now and then for my Eagles games, way worth it. Even if there are 8 of the Eagles games on national, that still leaves me 9 games. I understand the grief...but hey, bottom line, if it is worth it to YOU, get it and be happy or complain, or a bit of both. If it is not worth it to YOU, then hey, don't get it, be happy or complain, or both, but for the love of ....please don't anybody tell me what is and what is not worth it for ME!

First, when did the eagles start playing 17 games, :D

Second, lets try and not nitpick or get close to starting a back and forth (this isnt directed at you J) lets stick to civil discussion, thanks guys!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)