Price Increase on NFLST for 2010 season

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm sure some of this is hedging their bets. They along with all the networks promised to pay the full amount to the league next year.....regardless of whether there's a work stoppage or not. Of course there is a bit of a recapture provision in there which lowers the amounts they pay in 12/13/14 but it's nowhere near the full 11 amount. The extra $45 probably helps cover the loss of revenue/interest in '11.

BOYCOTT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you can't live without sunday ticket I'd say boycott it. That price is like an arm and a leg to watch football. I think Directv should have some kind of competition in this area. I know it won't happen but I think people should boycott that steep price. In these tough economic times, don't pay for it. Let them feel the pain of not supporting such a steep price.

Unless you can't live without sunday ticket I'd say boycott it. That price is like an arm and a leg to watch football. I think Directv should have some kind of competition in this area. I know it won't happen but I think people should boycott that steep price. In these tough economic times, don't pay for it. Let them feel the pain of not supporting such a steep price.

So you would boycott watching your favorite football team for the year to make a point to D*, your only one out of however many ST subs.

The majority of the subs, sub because they cannot get thier FAVORITE FOOTBALL teams games.
Not gonna happen.

So you would boycott watching your favorite football team for the year to make a point to D*, your only one out of however many ST subs.

The majority of the subs, sub because they cannot get thier FAVORITE FOOTBALL teams games.
Not gonna happen.

Exactly. They also own the rights until 2014, so boycotting now really does not help competition.

I've subscribed to NFLST + SF the past 3 years. I don't regret any of those years, but it is a little stupid of them to raise the price when A: The economy blows, and B: Other providers are carrying the NFL RedZone channel. I am PRAYING that Cox strikes a deal with the NFL before this season, because then I can just go over to my dad's house (with the 58" Plasma w/ surround sound and 62" DLP) every Sunday to watch stuff. I need to call D* to cancel my auto renewal, and unless they offer me a sweetheart deal (which I won't be haggling for anyways) I'll gladly take the $400+ off my annual bill..

I do think that if I had the option between Sunday Ticket and $300+ back in my pocket and instead get red zone channel I would opt for the cheaper of the two. The DirecTV Red Zone channel is the best thing added to Sunday's since instant replay and I am glad more people can experience football that way with the NFL produced RedZone Channel. Provided my options though, I have no issue with the ~20/weekend I'm paying for several hours of football on Sundays for my wife and I + anyone else who happens to come by.

I could NEVER go to just the Red Zone channel after being able to watch MY game for all these years, and someone to tell me that now I would have to watch the Red Zone channel to get my Football fill ..... not sure what would happen, but it wouldn't be good.

Now if I was with another provider and had no other way to get more Football on my Sundays the RZC would be awesome.

I've subscribed to NFLST + SF the past 3 years. I don't regret any of those years, but it is a little stupid of them to raise the price when A: The economy blows, and B: Other providers are carrying the NFL RedZone channel. I am PRAYING that Cox strikes a deal with the NFL before this season, because then I can just go over to my dad's house (with the 58" Plasma w/ surround sound and 62" DLP) every Sunday to watch stuff. I need to call D* to cancel my auto renewal, and unless they offer me a sweetheart deal (which I won't be haggling for anyways) I'll gladly take the $400+ off my annual bill..

You can PRAY al you want but it's NOT happening.

D* has the exclusive contract till 2014, thats the next time that other providers will be able to show interest.

You can PRAY al you want but it's NOT happening.

D* has the exclusive contract till 2014, thats the next time that other providers will be able to show interest.

Didn't he mean he's praying for Cox to get the Red Zone? That's how I read it, I could be mistaken.

I think what will happen from this goes as fallows

1) Die-hards who it is life or death with buy it for them selves.
2) The price increase will cause friends to single up and split the cost among several pockets and more than likely will include sharing of boxes to other houses.
3) more party houses with 10 or so people watching a single ST package.

I agree it is only worth it to someone who believes it is worth it to them..

I don't so i do not buy it. I had initially planned on it when i switched but it is not worth it to me at these costs.

I have a question? how high would it have to get before the die-hards decide it is to expensive. $550 with SF, $650 with SF or even $750 with SF, because it will get there i will bet money on it.

I would be willing to bet it there is a work stoppage in '11 that '12 will be $100 more than this year maybe even $150 more to try and recover costs from '11.

I think what will happen from this goes as fallows

1) Die-hards who it is life or death with buy it for them selves.
2) The price increase will cause friends to single up and split the cost among several pockets and more than likely will include sharing of boxes to other houses.
3) more party houses with 10 or so people watching a single ST package.

I agree it is only worth it to someone who believes it is worth it to them..

I don't so i do not buy it. I had initially planned on it when i switched but it is not worth it to me at these costs.

I have a question? how high would it have to get before the die-hards decide it is to expensive. $550 with SF, $650 with SF or even $750 with SF, because it will get there i will bet money on it.

I would be willing to bet it there is a work stoppage in '11 that '12 will be $100 more than this year maybe even $150 more to try and recover costs from '11.

It's hard to say. In a years time if things are tighter $100 cheaper than it is now could be too rich for my blood. That's the tricky part about pricing. Raise the price on HBO 5 cents and reap profits or turn away so many over the principal of it? Same goes with ST. It's pretty cheap for what you get, as long as you are in a position to properly enjoy it.

Funny but I actually prefer the red zone channel to watching the ST games. I like watching my old home teams games but half of them are televised nationally anyhow.

With the regular ST games, I'll record what looks to be the 2 best games of the day and watch them time delayed so I can skip the commercials. Most of the time or or two of the good looking games ends up sucking, and since I'm watching them a few hours delayed I have no chance to switch over. In the meanwhile, 2-3 other games that you wouldnt think would be good end up being shootouts or having some great plays.

Record the RZ channel and watch that in real time or near real time, and you get everything as it happens.

Too bad DTV wont offer the RZ channel separately from NFLST, but maybe they'll have to if all the cable companies offer it and they get customer defections. Heck, the cost of NFLST and SF would almost cover a full years cable bill...

That its cheaper than going to the game really isnt applicable to most people, since they dont live near enough to a stadium. And at my age sitting out in 30 degree weather for four hours doesnt sound too appealing.

I'll call to cancel, if they offer me what they did this past year (<$200 + free superfan) then I'll keep it. Otherwise its a no-go. Its just way too much money to watch a sporting event for a couple of hours on one day every week.

I think I am going to go to my local bar every week now, this is freaking stupid, DirecTV and NFL ST ripping people off.
Who needs ST when you have Redzone HD really...
I bet you anything this upcoming year DirecTV will lose subscribers on ST because of Redzone and this stupid ass price increase.

For me its more than one day because i also enjoy watching the 25 minute "Shortcut" versions of the games that Superfan shows every monday.

I liked those too, but they move awful fast. You've gotta pay attention, which means they're not too great if you've had a couple of beers. The free NFL Replays go a little slower, do require a little fast forwarding, but they get the job done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)