Price of milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Last week the price of milk went up where we live and the cheapest is almost $4 a gallon and the name brand is now over $6.29 a gallon. Is anyone else seeing this price increase on milk where they live at? Soy milk is now becoming an option considering that the price's are the same or now less and there are health benefits with soy milk so we are switching over.

Last week the price of milk went up where we live and the cheapest is almost $4 a gallon and the name brand is now over $6.29 a gallon. Is anyone else seeing this price increase on milk where they live at? Soy milk is now becoming an option considering that the price's are the same or now less and there are health benefits with soy milk so we are switching over.

All I can say is WOW. I am sure glad I don't have to deal with those prices. I just purchased milk today for $2.00 a gallon. It was just the store brand but that is all I ever buy.

DAMN Van...thats all I can say

Just bought 4 half gallon bags of milk at Kwik Trip for 1.12 a bag (4.48 for 2 gallons). If I wanted the jug version it was 2.69. (Kwik Trip is a Wisconsin, Minnesota & Iowa gas station chain)

Love using the bags...less waste and you get the free pitcher for it. For those who dont know, you snip the edge of the bag, pour it, twist it and on the edge of the pitcher there is a spot to slip the twisted end into to keep it fresh :)
Kwik Trip, Inc. - Eats & Drinks - Nature’s Touch

Iceberg - I miss the bag milk. I moved far enough south that there are no Kwik Trip (or Kwik Star in Iowa, since they didn't bother to register the Kwik Trip name in Iowa) close to me. There is actually a Kwik Star on the interstate about an hour from here, we pickup milk from there occasionally. It is nice to fill your crisper drawer with a few gallons of milk conveniently tucked away (we have 4 kids, so milk takes up a lot of space in our fridge!)

I LOVE Kwik Trip (Kwik Star milk)! I like the no drip rim on the jugs - never tried the bags. You also get a punch card and after 10 gallons you get $1 off. Also, if you buy gas and milk at the same time, you get 4 cents a gallon off. AND if you use their charge card, you get a 5% rebate on instore purchases and 3 cents off a gallon of gas. I live at Kwik Star :) I am there at least once a day as there is one a few blocks away from work and one on the way home from work. Now, back to drinking my Big Buddy :)

OH, and here in Iowa we have lots of dairy farms, but our milk is expected to go $5 a gallon real quick! It is now around $3-$ a gallon depending where you go.

You also get a punch card and after 10 gallons you get $1 off.
yep. Use that all the time

Also, if you buy gas and milk at the same time, you get 4 cents a gallon off.
we dont have that here in MN. Usually on SUnday I go buy milk, gas & a newspaper...no discounts :(
Now, back to drinking my Big Buddy :)

hee hee....love the big buddy :)

Holy schnikies! $6/gallon for milk? It's been right around $3 or so for a few years here. $2/gallon if you're willing to go inside a gas station. I guess the gas stations around here need some incentive to get people inside since most people pay directly at the pump.

Kwik Trip/Kwik Star is by far my favorite! Pretty much all of their food is good, donuts, you name it. They have really good and cheap bannanas and produce too. I guess it is kinda like a modern day neighborhood store :)

If prices haven't went up for you yet, they will. About a month ago, signs were posted saying milk was going up. So far, prices have went up about a dollar or so. Noticed on my way home tonight, gas has went from $2.89 to $3.19 a gallon for regular unleaded, I'm sure gas prices don't help the price of milk (anything for that matter).

But remember, the economy is doing great! LOL We haven't seen anything yet!!

The reason Milk is going up is because of the use of corn for ethanol. The price of feed corn has gone through the roof for feeding cows and hence the price of milk has to go up to compensate.

I second that prices when through root I was paying 2.45 now it is 3.45 and that is almost overnight, and people complain about gas prices :)

I remember paying something like $1.89 for a gallon of 2% from a Military Commissary not too long ago...a lot less than the $2.45 being charged by Costco. I picked up a gallon of milk from the other day and didn't pay attention to the price. I will have to look at the receipt when I get home.

It is $3.70 here, with name brand around $4

Whey is really expensive right now also, my son has a bottle calf for a 4-H project, and that stuff(milk replacer) is HIGH....

The reason Milk is going up is because of the use of corn for ethanol. The price of feed corn has gone through the roof for feeding cows and hence the price of milk has to go up to compensate.

THis is just plain wrong and being used as an excuse for a rise in price. The distillers grain off of the ethanol process is still used for feed grain for cattle. Figure out what it really costs in turms of grain to produce a gallon of milk. It is very little. If corn prices double, and they havn't yet, the cost associated with a gallon of milk would be at most a few cents.
The milk cow heard count is down, consumption is up both here and in foreign markets. This is a supply and demand issue.

Paid 3.79 / gallon for 1% store brand yesterday in Omaha

pennsylvania has a price law set by the milk marketing comission. i will have to see what it costs poer gallon, cant remember tha last gallon bought here. jen buys a little for coffee, i normally avoid any liquid with calories

I miss the $2.49 a gallon milk I got from Krogers and Miejers back in michigan. Im aware that the prices for groceries here are much more because alot of stuff is processed and packaged up north, even stuff thats grown down here and further south gets sent to the north and midwest ( sounds like a goverment run program doesnt it ).

Corn feeding cows is such a bad thing to do, its rough on their stomachs and causes acidosis because a cows stomach ph is nuetral as compared to our highly acid stomachs where we are able to easily digest corn a cow cant. Because of this corn diet there is now a strong link to feeding cows corn and ecoli 0157:H7 wich is the new form of ecoli that is coming up in the news again and again with outbreaks of contaminated vegetables.

It would be cheaper to feed cows a naturaul grass diet and it would not only be healthier for them but for us when it comes to the beef we eat from them and the taste is much better to. Things to consider with this new ecoli is that it can survive in the soil for several months and get carried into streams by storm run off, its also been found that some vegetable plants can take up the bacteria through the roots and the bacteria will reside in the leaves of vegetables like lettuce and spinach. The last two outbreaks were traced to these two plants and the contamination came from tainted water supplies so there needs to be a change in the industry.

( Aint it amazing the things you learn when you read alot? :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts