Prime Tme Anytime

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
Is the Hopper smart enough to know that a sporting event went long and adjust to the starting times of the prime time shows. Is there any DVR on the market that knows that, say for example the NFL on CBS runs late and adjusts the record times?

Thats awesome, how does it know this? Does my 922 have a way to do this that I don't know about, this drives my wife nuts with her Sunday shows.

Not sure of exactly how. Some codes will be triggered, I assume. No, can't be done on 922. A Hopper/PTA exclusive.

Will it recognize if a game runs late like a NFL Sunday game on CBS or Fox that delays the start of normal programming until after 7:00?

Will it recognize if a game runs late like a NFL Sunday game on CBS or Fox that delays the start of normal programming until after 7:00?

I believe when this was asked to Scott, he said it would recognize the later starts

I believe what it is going to do is to automatically extend the sports event on a given channel, just as the DVRs do today, and then extend that channel's Primetime by the same length of time.

If the 922 is like my 722, you can extend the end time very easily. Press the DVR button 3 times, arrow over to the show you want to modify. Select Info/Timer/Options. You can arrow over to the End time and change it. Alternately, if you are watching the show that has syarted late, Press the Record button. You can then extend the recording time by pressing Forward.

I believe what it is going to do is to automatically extend the sports event on a given channel, just as the DVRs do today, and then extend that channel's Primetime by the same length of time.
No, the Dish DVRs today automatically default an added 60 minutes on to live sports timers, but they don't know when the event actually ends. It'll be interesting to see if/how it will know exactly how many minutes the prime time programs have been delayed on a given night.

My theory would be that it/Dish monitors the starts of each show starting the block. So, let's say Good Wife is 45 minutes late to start, then it adds 45 to the end of the block. Just a wild guess.

I think the OP was not worried about the sporting events. I think he was concerned about shows that were pushed back by sporting events. ie all the CBS/FOX shows that are delayed after football.

To Dwarren, Yes. That's what we've been talking about. The OP asked about the following programs

No, the Dish DVRs today automatically default an added 60 minutes on to live sports timers, but they don't know when the event actually ends. It'll be interesting to see if/how it will know exactly how many minutes the prime time programs have been delayed on a given night.

I really do NOT think it will. Until some one actually uses one and proves me wrong I say PTA will record only from 6 to 10 CT on Sunday so if the programing is delayed like it is about half the time you will miss the end of the 9 pm show unless you setup your own extended timer.

What about PrimeTime Anywhere? Will it add 90 minutes to the 8-11 (eastern time) block to account for any overruns in sports, awards shows, presidential addresses, etc.?
Sports, yes. Presidential addresses...don't know (good question, though). Awards shows...they replace shows, not delay them. Not sure about what amount of time or how it is applied.

People keep mentioning EXTENDING the block for delayed programs, but what really needs to happen is the START of the block needs to be delayed...otherwise the stored program titles will not match the recorded content.

I really do NOT think it will. Until some one actually uses one and proves me wrong I say PTA will record only from 6 to 10 CT on Sunday so if the programing is delayed like it is about half the time you will miss the end of the 9 pm show unless you setup your own extended timer.

That is what my original post was. Is the Hopper an "intelligant" DVR that would automatically add 42 minutes to the CBS prime time shows only, if football ran 42 minutes late. There has to be something encoded in the signal that triggers other things like commercials, local news ads promoting comming up at 11 and so on. My original post was to hope that you could set up prime time anytime once and not have to worry about manually adding time to the timer. Scott seemed to indicate it would, which would be pretty cool in my opinion.

If the show carries the trigger instead of time then it'll be fine. I am just excited that I don't have to setup priorities etc to all of my timers. Because discovery or history channel for example always reruns later in the night, I always have my shows from the big 4 take priority over all else. And I have a 722k and it sorts out fine. It must be the show that sets the trigger. I dunno. I can't wait to get my hands on one and tinkering...lol.

It would be great if there was some "intelligence" built into the timers for PTA. Since it only works with HD feeds, I wonder if anyone who know about this could comment if there are some additional information tags in the Hd feed that might be utilized to form the basis for programming some intelligence into the system.

I suspect that it will just be basically a rehash of current methods. A 90 minute extension if there is a sports event. Just like currently when recording on Sunday nights CBS for example I always record the show following the one I want. In the case of PTA, I will probably have to set a timer to record the 11 - 12 PM show just in case. I am prepared and hoping to be surprised by the Hopper, however.

I can't wait to get my hands on one and tinkering...lol.
Imagine how much more these boards will explode once we all have one or two in our hands reporting our observations, complaints and wows. These multiple threads on the hopper are nothing compared to what they will be. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)