Primestar 36" value

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghia

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
I have found a 36" Primestar dish in used but good condition. The asking price is $50. It has an lnb but it is a bit odd it has two outputs one for H one for V. I would probably end up replacing this with something else, say an extreme II. The guy has had it for sale for a while. What would be a fair price for this dish? I would be using it as a fixed dish for either G10 to allow not having to motor or IA5 to replace a less than stellar globecast .75m dish

You could avoid changing the LNBF by one of two solutions, especially if using Galaxy 10R. Unless you must have the few channels on H polarity, just connect the vertical port directly and use that by itself. Otherwise, 2 ports of a 4-port
DiSEqC switch would allow you to bring both sides in off the H/V LNBF that came
with the Primestar. You'll just have to use a satellite memory slot again for the second polarity, and program it as another DiSEqC input.

Mike

I use a 36" Primestar for G10R. I got mine last November from a local ebay seller. I got the dish, complete with LNB and roof mount for $20.50. I had to pick it up myself. Shipping would have been around $30. The Primestar dishes seem to have gone up in value a bit as more people want them for FTA and for using as wireless internet antennas. If he's had it for sale for a while he probably doesn't have much of a market for it so I'd offer $30. You can always go up. If it doesn't have a roof mount I'd go lower.

I'm still using the LNB that came with mine. I finally put on a diseqc switch to combine the V and H. That works great. I may upgrade to a better LNB in the future, but for now this works okay and my goal was to keep my total cost as low as possible. For quite a while I just used the V connection as most of the watchable channels are vertical polarization anyway. (On G10R anyway).

Last edited:
$20 is more realistic (IMO) I got my 40" P* dish for free, but of course I had to climb up on a roof and decommission it :)

Mine were free too. One is around one 1 meter in diameter. I guess it all depends on availability and location.
Sadoun has a brand new Fortec star 36" for 65 dollars. (Still would have to pay shipping). Might want to consider this, or at least use it as a bargaining tool.

Last edited:
freecycle, internet, or an add in the paper, the phone should just start ringing. I would go $20 myself.

Good luck.

ghia said:
I have found a 36" Primestar dish in used but good condition. The asking price is $50. It has an lnb but it is a bit odd it has two outputs one for H one for V. I would probably end up replacing this with something else, say an extreme II. The guy has had it for sale for a while. What would be a fair price for this dish? I would be using it as a fixed dish for either G10 to allow not having to motor or IA5 to replace a less than stellar globecast .75m dish

The $20 - $30 range was what I was thinking as well. Will see how it goes. I don't need it there are already three dishes on the roof but I guess I am becoming somewhat of a FTA junkie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)