Primestar 36" value

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ghia

ghia

Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
I have found a 36" Primestar dish in used but good condition. The asking price is $50. It has an lnb but it is a bit odd it has two outputs one for H one for V. I would probably end up replacing this with something else, say an extreme II. The guy has had it for sale for a while. What would be a fair price for this dish? I would be using it as a fixed dish for either G10 to allow not having to motor or IA5 to replace a less than stellar globecast .75m dish

M

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
You could avoid changing the LNBF by one of two solutions, especially if using Galaxy 10R. Unless you must have the few channels on H polarity, just connect the vertical port directly and use that by itself. Otherwise, 2 ports of a 4-port
DiSEqC switch would allow you to bring both sides in off the H/V LNBF that came
with the Primestar. You'll just have to use a satellite memory slot again for the second polarity, and program it as another DiSEqC input.

Mike

techpuppy

techpuppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2005
I use a 36" Primestar for G10R. I got mine last November from a local ebay seller. I got the dish, complete with LNB and roof mount for $20.50. I had to pick it up myself. Shipping would have been around $30. The Primestar dishes seem to have gone up in value a bit as more people want them for FTA and for using as wireless internet antennas. If he's had it for sale for a while he probably doesn't have much of a market for it so I'd offer $30. You can always go up. If it doesn't have a roof mount I'd go lower.

I'm still using the LNB that came with mine. I finally put on a diseqc switch to combine the V and H. That works great. I may upgrade to a better LNB in the future, but for now this works okay and my goal was to keep my total cost as low as possible. For quite a while I just used the V connection as most of the watchable channels are vertical polarization anyway. (On G10R anyway).

Last edited:
PSB

PSB

On vacation
Nov 5, 2003
$20 is more realistic (IMO) I got my 40" P* dish for free, but of course I had to climb up on a roof and decommission it :)

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Mine were free too. One is around one 1 meter in diameter. I guess it all depends on availability and location.
Sadoun has a brand new Fortec star 36" for 65 dollars. (Still would have to pay shipping). Might want to consider this, or at least use it as a bargaining tool.

Last edited:
Tron

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
As an alternative to using the DiSEqC switch, you could use a DirecTV compatible 2 x 4 (or 3 x 4) multiswitch.

ken2400

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
freecycle, internet, or an add in the paper, the phone should just start ringing. I would go $20 myself.

Good luck.

ghia said:
I have found a 36" Primestar dish in used but good condition. The asking price is $50. It has an lnb but it is a bit odd it has two outputs one for H one for V. I would probably end up replacing this with something else, say an extreme II. The guy has had it for sale for a while. What would be a fair price for this dish? I would be using it as a fixed dish for either G10 to allow not having to motor or IA5 to replace a less than stellar globecast .75m dish

ghia

ghia

Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
The $20 - $30 range was what I was thinking as well. Will see how it goes. I don't need it there are already three dishes on the roof but I guess I am becoming somewhat of a FTA junkie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.