primestar dish conversion to DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nyquill junkie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Ive been scanning through the threads on here, and it seems people actually use those old primestar dishes.... I got one sitting outside, the kind with one arm to the lnb.

can these old things be converter to pick up directv?
is there any real advantage to doing it?

are they actually worth anything to try and sell it off?

nyquill junkie said:
Ive been scanning through the threads on here, and it seems people actually use those old primestar dishes.... I got one sitting outside, the kind with one arm to the lnb.

can these old things be converter to pick up directv?
is there any real advantage to doing it?

are they actually worth anything to try and sell it off?
Yes you can mount a Directv LNB on it and pickup 101. Using the Primestar LNB you can pickup some FTA broadcasting if you want to search for it.:)

I have one rigged with a DTV lnb and almost all of my transponder signals are 98 to 100. I have had maybe 2 dropouts in the last 2 years. One was Hurricane Katrina, but it did work until about 10 mins before the power went out.

well now I have 3 redundant cables going out to... well wherever I want them to go.
sounds like a plan... i'll post a picture when its done.

lol

I was tinkering with this old dish this eve... I got a question.

the elevation marks on it cant be right, if you crank it to 38 degrees it isnt very far off from aiming right into the adjacent hillside. looking at my dish next door, at 38 degrees its tilted up way farther than the primestar is at the same elevation.

now there is no tick mark so I ASSUME you use the center of the lock bolt on the scale.

this is a primestar dish with a single arm on the bottom type.

any tips or tricks to setting the elevation on these things?

the pole I set perfectly level, but if I set it at 30 degrees.... it points right into the hillside.

the 18" dish 20 feet away aims much farther up in the sky set on 38....

I must be missing something here.

I do like the way it adjusts for elevation, with a long bolt... you can move it a tiny bit on azimuth and then ratchet it down nice and smoooooooth, move it another wee bit to the side and then crank it up smoooth and slow. once I get it ina good spot and find a good healthy lnb it should be easy to nit pick till I hit something.

but i am confused about the elevation scale...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts