primestar dish need help getting on the satellite arc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackpeas

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Chicago,ILL USA
Hi I am jackpeas tring to get on the sat arc.Amc3(k3) @87 degree is my southmost sat.My lat is 41.6,my longt is 87.6,and dish is 23.5. My neighboor has a tree limb blocking me.Their are garrages,so I had to raise my dish about 14 ft to see over it.Last year I got amc3,But I change my pole.Now I cant find it.My lat is 41.6,my longt is 87.6 and dish elevation is 23.5. This if for primestar 30"x40" on a stab 129 hh motor. Can I used another sat?

Last edited:
As long as the motor is pointing true south and the elevation of the motor is correct, you should be able to use the USALS with the receiver and motor over to any satellite with-in LOS (line of sight). Once you motor over to a satellite, you should then be able to fine tune and find a signal. However, it would probably be best/easier to use the one as close to your true south as possible. Good Luck!

Al

Be Patient.....

It took me well over a week to finally get my motor set up right, once I did, it works like a charm. Make sure not to confuse true south with magnetic south, they are about 14 degrees apart depending on your location. Have fun :)

primestar dish tring to get on the arc.

Hi thanks guys,back in February I had DN to install a dn system .He put the dish on the north side of my garage and my pole is on the south side.He have the dish on the edge and its about center on the north side.Its not in the center or middle of the garage.its lowe and looking over the top of the roof to see the sats.I can not tell how much he clear my roof top.My neighbor
garage is my south side,and i had to clear it with my primestar dish.So I riase it untill i could see over his roof.Maybe I dont need to be that high.Now I can start to bring it back down.But before I do that,I need to know how do the signal come in to the dish?If it come in straigh,it wont work.I am tring to find the middle ground the tree limb and my neighbor rooftop.Thank guys/I hope you understand me.

Jack if your working on this up in the air be careful.
set the motor to your latitude about 41.6 ( you probably did this )
ok using the caculator at sadouns site it says 23.5 for dish elevation ( which you have ) using the manual for the motor it says use 60 minus your latitude of 41.6 =18.4

ok these figures are 23.5 and 18.4 for dish elevation , they are just ballpark figures..... yours might be a bit more or less. you will have to fine tune it from there adjusting up or down slightly a bit at a time from 23.5 ( remember small increments and pause slightly so the receiver can catch up ) you are using a live transponder from the list right.

if this doesn't work or if you've already tried this let us know we have more tricks up our sleeves :)

amc 3 (K3) ku @ 87 W

primestar dish need help getting on the arc

Jack if your working on this up in the air be careful.
set the motor to your latitude about 41.6 ( you probably did this )
ok using the caculator at sadouns site it says 23.5 for dish elevation ( which you have ) using the manual for the motor it says use 60 minus your latitude of 41.6 =18.4

ok these figures are 23.5 and 18.4 for dish elevation , they are just ballpark figures..... yours might be a bit more or less. you will have to fine tune it from there adjusting up or down slightly a bit at a time from 23.5 ( remember small increments and pause slightly so the receiver can catch up ) you are using a live transponder from the list right.

if this doesn't work or if you've already tried this let us know we have more tricks up our sleeves :)

amc 3 (K3) ku @ 87 W
Thank George,I am standing flat on the garage roof by the pole.105,103,101,99,97,95 got about 20 and above quality.I have notice as i come down from sat 105 to g3c ku quality run thru these sats.But it stop at G3/that could mean I am too far down with the dish.So maybe I need to raise it just a bit to get T6@93 deg.And do the same for G11@91 deg.I will marked the pole every time/so i can get back.Ok now my dish elevation is 26(the guage on the side)I tried 23,24 don't work.Now it a stab 120 hh motor and primestar dish.Ok you want me to start to lower my dish elevation and move the dish east and west? So you want me to do a search with my dish at 22,21,20,19,18? I think this is your meaning.Thanks for all the help

was the quality level you received high enough to get a picture ( different receivers receive at different levels) if yes then we should go from there if no( picture or channels) then the meaning of that statment above was this.... although the recommended elevation might have been 23.5 it might actually be + or - several degrees from that. you can hit 105-95 can you hit 79 and receive channels ??

if you have an angle finder.... although the dish is set up on the motor and looks like it is pointing at 23.5 degrees ( or whatever you currently have it set at) it is actually pointing at 47.5 so if you point at the direction your trying to view and anything in the distance at 47 degrees will be in the way ( its about a 24 degree offset)

hope this helps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts