Primestar GI DSR410DS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
I got a couple of Primestar receivers given to me. They are General Instrument DSR410DS. There is an expansion slot, but nothing in it. Didn't know if Primestar used a card back then or not. Wondering if you can pick up anything with these, like a feed or something. Don't suppose I'd be lucky enough for these to be like Analog receivers or something?

Doorstop

Primestar receivers used DC I and there isn't anything DC I out there :(

Darn, that stinks. I am always in search of satellite "junk?" that I can do something with. Although, the assortment of satellite dishes in my computer room, is making it hard to get to the computer. I guess dish farms are made to be "grown" outside. :D

Yea I know what you mean.I probably have 25 Directv receivers and a few Dish just taking up space.Anyone need a receiver :)

Those boxes are definitely a piece of satellite industry history, but as Ice already said, because they were the first flavor of DigiCipher, they are pretty much doorstops now.

Last edited:
If you've got the remote control, it might be worth keeping as it can be used with some other general instruments receivers like the DSR-4200 DCII receivers. When I got my first DSR-4200, I used an old primestar remote with it as I didn't get the original remote that came with it.

Primestar IRD's

I had over 50 of those Primestar IRd's in my parents basement, they were a great receiver, when I moved they went to the local electronics recycling day. They were definetly bette quality than any D or E stb made now.

I had a couple hundred Prime Junk Receivers sitting in my office during the great Primestar conversion.

Since Primestar was not requiring them back from customers, we where taking them on all of our conversions so the customers would have to call us for their equipment back if they decided to switch back. Atleast we would them have the oppertunity to talk the customer out of switching back, rather than having them switch and we would find out a few weeks later when we got charged back, at which point it was too late to do anything about it.

I ended up stacking them next to my back door, and one by one they got stolen by dishonest customers :)

You may not even get $5 a peice out of the Directv receivers on ebay because the person that activates them has to pay $20 for each card to get them active again.

There are still two Digicipher 1 muxes on Cband satellite. One on Galaxy 16 Transponder 24 and another on PAS 9 Transponder 2. They are used by MVSTV, a Mexican Pay TV service. There is a TV Guide Channel in the clear on PAS 9.

Status
Please reply by conversation.