Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Now dont turn this into a "Pit" thread but this is an honest question

I've scanned enough satellites and have seen enough church/religious channels. One thing I've noticed is that the quality is at or near max on the Pansat (which 30 is a stable picture most of the time)

3ABN is max
Hope is max
GBN on AMC6 is max
the religious channels on IA5 are 90+
Doc Scott is 90+
BYU TV on C-Band is 85-90 on average

But tonight I swung my C-Band dish over to G4/G16 to see how strong the nets were (still around 75-77) but World Harvest, that went digital a month or so ago is burying the needle at 99 too.

Does anybody know why the church channels seem to max out? Is it really a higher power helping the signal? :)

Donations also probably help when purchasing additional bandwidth ;)

EDIT #1: From a technical standpoint, they probably increase their signal integrity for their mostly direct-to-home viewers who use dishes in the 30-36" diameter range.

EDIT #2: Disco just beat me to that explanation :)

I can see this thread being moved to The FTA Shack soon :D

Last edited:
I know very little about how or why each transponder is of a greater or lesser signal. - other than footprints, spotbeams, nearby TPs, and solar conditions. Still, I seem to remember hearing that some are simply powered higher than others - usually based on the uplinks' decision.

If that is the case, I can understand why religious stations (most of which distribute programming straight to viewers, a rarity in USA FTA) would make sure those who paid them the money for the 30" dish actually get the signal - rain or shine. Many others, like Equity's G10r TPs, are likely not meant to be received on a 30" dish.

Anyway, I did a quick check of Ia5, and quality seems to be spread rather evenly among the stations. A number of religious stations are on 11874 and 11966, and those TPs get downright awful.

I've always noticed that as well, Also on am radio, shortwave radio...but not so much on ota tv (not like when I was a kid anyway). I often wondered about the differences in signal strength...could it have something to do with uplink signal/power? I have noticed that allot of news feeds are low, also sometimes the signal level of the Equity stations fluctuates while other channels are strong and solid (presumably because of weather on the uplink side)...if that is the case possibly the religious broadcasters are using MORE POWER:eek: when they uplink. But I'm in now way an electrical engineer so I could be all wet.

I think that when 3ABN first went KU they changed transponders at least one and maybe twice before they were satisfied with the performance.

There is a whole book written about how 3ABN set up their uplink station and all the things that "fell in place" to enable them to do it. If you visit their webpage, www.3ABN.org they will send you the book for free. Also if you are ever close to their uplink site in West Frankfort, IL they will give you a free tour. You can see the control room and the studio, sets, uplink dishs, etc. The technical pereson there is Mosas Primo. He would probably answer your question if you E-mail him.

You can read the history of 3ABN here
http://www.3abn.org/3abn_history.cfm

At the bottom of the page is contact info.

Thanks guys for the explanations :)

Tron you might have something there with point 1. I know a fair amount of religious broadcasters post the coordinates on their website so obviously they want people to be able to view it.

Since 3ABN has been dropped from Sky Angel (because of a TP failure) they have been actively promoting the free FTA system. They want folks to have an experience that is better then they had with SA. Indeed that is the case in Oregon (it rains a lot here) with 101 high in the sky and 61.5 low on the horizon - no rain fade with a 36" dish on 3ABN!
Bob

I see 3abn puts their transponder data on their website. I know a while back they were trying to get people to write Dish Network to get put in their lineup.

its too bad 3ABN doesnt move to IA5, with the addition on all the reilgious channels there that sat is going to end up being the FTA equivalent of SA, they even added JCTV which is pretty cool. They also added a new one last week but I'm not sure exactly what it is, I think it is related to the salvation army.

I may put somthing at 101 later just for the Texas station but I have 3 dishes up now and will probobly have 5 when I get around to it this summer. I don't watch many of the religios channels myself I just think it would be nice if they where all on one (I only really watch Dr Scott...but thats going to change becouse I hate wasting a dish on IA6)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)