Primestar LNB and water

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BarneyBean

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
I've had my primestar dish for about a year now with no problems until now. I dont have the small plastic cap that goes on the LNB and never did have it, it's been thru thunder storms wind etc. In the last few days I have lost my quality but the sig stayed pretty much the same so I went out and noticed water in the front of the LNB, the bronze colored part, so I dried it out with a towel and bang works fine. I dont know why it's happened now but it did what can I put over the LNB to stop this, syran wrap maybe? Its the dual H and V type LNB one output

On my Primestar they use a very thin piece of plastic, with a few pin holes at the bottom to breathe. If you want use my suggestion I would get some thin plastic that can withstand the weather, cut it the size of the opening then silicone it on there. I have my factory cap siliconed on mine since the o ring was shot. Never had a problem yet.

Last edited:
Any kind of plastic you can cut out a circle in should work, it won't block the signal. If you have a leaky 5gal bucket, cut a hole out of the bottom of that. Or a clorox bottle lol. I'm lazy and just tie a garbage bag over a couple of mine, it'll last a couple of months in the sun.

There was a similar thread discussing how to keep moisture out of LNBs with caps or covers.

I took some tongue-in-cheek pictures of some plastic covers, but don't see 'em right now.

I thought the plastic needed to be clear but that dosen't seem to be the case. I think I'll use a something like a sandwich bag for a temp fix.

That'll work. The microwaves will pass thru plastic, long as you don't use anything metallic it should be ok.

I will try a sandwich bag on my 75E. But a related but different question; with the wind problem I have, can the dish see through sliding glass door glass? I am thinking about trying to build a box with a glass wall in front of my dishes to keep from damaging mounts. I have built wind breaks with the glass and not lost the wind break (so far) even Thursday at 94 mph for 2 minutes.

If its double pane I'm pretty sure that wont work
I have about 60 panes of single pane glass removed from sliding glass doors from demolitions.

Thanks Tron, I was hoping..

I am using some for an atrium and they have been holding up to the wind. I have learned how to make the roof water-tight and using liquid nails sealant/adhesive seems to hold the the glass down against the wind.. Enough Hi-Jack of thread. will try this and start a new thread with pics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)