primestar lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jefferylackey

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
first time post so don't be too hard on me guys. i've got this primestar dish with lnb. i've been reading as much as possible and think i've got it straight but would like to be sure. this dish is 40X44 inches so i should be able to pick up Galaxy 10R.. the lnb has a V & H coax connection on it. to use both i'll need a multi switch or something like that.. i have a Discqe switch, could i use it, plug the lines into say Lnb1 and Lnb2... then on the receiver, set up the sat as if it were 2 satellites then let the switch decide when to use the Horizontal or Vertical. i've also been reading about motors, but this thing is pretty heavy. what motor could handle that weight. any help would be greatly appreciated..

Pretty right so far... but I think since both coax wires off lnb will go to switch and from switch to receiver, you'd only need to have one satellite in the receiver since there's only one cord coming in... When you blind scan it should look for both h and v. I think it should detect both on the one satellite entry. As far as motor goes, you'd have to do some modifications to the dish. I don't have the url here at the moment, but there's some threads in these forums that discuss those modifications. Basically the modifications involve removing all the metal parts off the back of the dish and then using some galvanized metal strips to lighten the load, and then attach that to the motor's pole. There's a lot of work involved in doing it. I too got an old primestar and wanted to start out like you are, but I eventually opted to go with buying new parts and got a winegard 72 cm + sg2100 motor + pansat 3500 receiver. I did so in part because I'm not that great at welding and stuff (almost burned my foot back in a college sculpture class when I tried to do some welding and ended up knocking a red hot piece of metal on to the floor right next to my foot - I'm darn lucky I had a leather apron on and that it didn't land on the top of my foot because I couldn't see anything in that dang mask, also am lucky that the person standing next to me didn't get burned. We were in a booth thingy sort of set up like the stand up election booths - the metal could have landed on them if it had been about a foot over...), and also because some have implied that even with the modifications the primestar may be heavy enough to possibly add a lot more wear and tear on the motor than it's meant to have.

you could use a Diseqc switch but the only issue is you'd have to have 2 satellites set up (one for V one for H)

Most of the stuff is on V so you could just use that. Or geta 3x4 DirecTV multisiwtch to combine them together :)

Iceberg is right (of course). I use a primestar dish for g10r. For a few months I just ran a cable from the V (Vertical). I eventually added a switch, but there's really not much on G10R on H. There is Research and UWTV and an FM station. However I did catch a show on UWTV where they were showing 3D images from a comet probe if you were lucky enough to have a set of TV 3d glasses. On my receiver G10R had to be set up as two different satellites for H and V.

I think I read on this forum that the primestar dish you have is too heavy for most motors without modification.

It’s not the dish that’s the issue. It’s the bracket on the back that has all the weight. You get that removed and you can modify it to work on a motor.

I haven’t tried it yet but others have and it works really good

Iceberg said:
Or geta 3x4 DirecTV multisiwtch to combine them together :)
Hey Ice, not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, what's the third port on those 3x4 switches for? Does it have a diplexer built in?

I used one of those on my primestar LNB to combine the H and V.

They do have a diplexer built in, so you can hook your off air antenna to the 3rd input, then use a diplexer at receiver for both off air and satellite :)

So let me jump in now, I have been reading the FTA threads for a while now and this one has piqued my interest.

I want to get in on this for really cheap right now so I think my best bet is to find a (free) Primestar dish and then buy one of those $50 receivers? For now I would just like to set it up in my yard and move the dish by hand to see what is there but eventually I would like to add a 30 inch dish with actuator.

I have Dish network now but I used to have a ten foot BUD with C/Ku. I really miss all of the extra stuff that I used to get on that system!

Pepper said:
Hey Ice, not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, what's the third port on those 3x4 switches for? Does it have a diplexer built in?

I used one of those on my primestar LNB to combine the H and V.

PSB nailed it. the 3rd port is for a OTA. Then you only need a diplexer at the receivers :)

going to try and get this thing planted this weekend, will keep you guys posted, thanks bunches for the help... after what iceberg said i checked out the langsat site and he's right of course, everything on vertical... stuff on horizontal i can live without. wish me luck, jeff out.

cool, I learn something new here every day (3x4 switch = diplexer).

good luck jeff, let us know how it goes.

ok guys, Got the dish aimed and am receiving Galaxy10r... got good quality and strength, about 18 english channels... i don't speak any other languages so i don't need them, probably should have left the spanish on there to learn. anyhow, it was tricky. the settings are so tight, just 1/8th off and you'll lose it. strangest thing... had the original lnb from primestar with seperate v/h outputs. plugged into the vertical and i'm getting the vertical and horizontal... about 4 horizontal ones... kinda weird... and i don't understand it, but hey, i got channels for free.... HOW KOOL IS THAT..... now, i need to start thinking of getting a motor. i'm not really happy with where i mounted the dish, did it as a temporary thing... do you guys think i'll have any problems moving it about 40 feet from the house. where would you put the disqe switch, near the dish or near the house. THANKS GUYS.

40' should be nothing at all! I have my DiSEqC switch up behind my dish and motor, But its a good idea to have it out of the elemants, but many switch now come with weather covers :)

Attachments

• wp2x1.jpg
    wp2x1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 170
i was reading another thread with iceburg saying something about 110 and 119 but i thought the only thing on there was direct tv... no free channels.... i was also looking at the amc15 i think it is... someone said there were 45 channels on it... with the proper placement for clear line of sight... all i'd need is a motor and i should be able to pick up all the fta sats that are ku band... is that right... you guys were right, it is adictive....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts