Status
Please reply by conversation.

laseradam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2006
Goshen, OH
Primestar with original LNBF G10 Tonight ?Will it work

I'm going out tonight to try to aim my Primestar with the original LNBF at G10. I keep hearing about how hard it is to get G10. Do you think I will be able to get it with the Primestar LNBF or should I replace the LNBF with a newer one I have?

Try it with the one you have, if you do not get anywhere or get poor results a new LNB may be in order. Its a good idea to keep the original feedhorn!

I am going to do the samething tonight or tomorrow...Now that I know about blind scanning, and what it means, I have complete faith that I won't have the problems I did the first time ;-)

G10R was a pain to find with my DirecPC dish, but once it was bang on, it gets a GREAT signal. I imagine the P* would be about the same, just take your time. If it was me, I'd change out the LNB if the new one was a much lower noise ratio.

I have a new .4 standard that I could throw on there but I want to try the original first. I will let you know how it turns out. I might aim it at AMC4 first because I have a lot of experience hitting that satellite. I have installed many FTA systems to receive 3ABN. If I can get 3abn then I might swing it around to G10. Another problem I have is only about 2 or 3 deg of clearance above the trees.

Last edited:
I am using the original LNB that came with my p*, so far it works just fine :D One thing about the original lnb is it is a "high stability" model.

As for nailing g10, here is a tip. Try for 121 first, it has a very strong signal. After you have 121 you just nudge the dish to the right a bit and drop elevation a smidgeon and BAM there ya go ;)

What I did, was I had the sat meter inline, moved dish to the approx. area, got a reading on the meter, did a blind scan, saw where I was and went from there. Once I listened to what people were telling me to do - blind scan - it was no biggie :)

121 will work on that satellite because its linear. 110/119 are circular

The only thing is your current Dish Network setup must be Legacy and not DishPro. Legacy had “Dish Network” on the LNB whereas DishPro has a big “DishPro DP” on it.

I did it originally with the DirecPC dish and LNB.It's a tough find but well worth it.
Plenty of info here on finding G10R.Good luck.

The CONGRATULATIONS You have a 121w superdish channel is always good for a laugh :)

DFreq. 12074

Pol. V

SR. 20000

Get the popcorn out!

Do I have to adjust the skew on the original LNBF that came with the primestar dish to pick up G10. Right now it is set to 0 Deg.

Yes the LNBF will need skewed on a fixed dish, but not on a motorized dish.

Its a good idea to keep all your posts about this subject in this thread :)

The original primestar LNBs are actually pretty good LNBs even though they're a bit old. They're made in japan by New Japanese Radio. I think you'll find that they perform at least as good if not better than most of these new cheap taiwan made LNBs that are being sold today that claim to have lower noise figures. Another thing to think about is that with noise figure ratings of LNBs getting lower and lower there's a point of diminishing return and thus noise figure of the LNB becomes less and less significant. Other things like noise from adjacent satellites become more significant. Therefore most of the time your money will be better spent investing in a larger good quality dish than on some LNB with a supposedly magically noise figure rating.

Last edited:
Here in California, I need to tilt the lnb to the right for all satellites West and including AMC 1. G10 on a PrimeStar dish is great. Only when others are having problems will you notice a problem on most of the channels. Analog feeds are crystal clear when those do appear too.

Stefan said:
The original primestar LNBs are actually pretty good LNBs even though they're a bit old. They're made in japan by New Japanese Radio. I think you'll find that they perform at least as good if not better than most of these new cheap taiwan made LNBs that are being sold today that claim to have lower noise figures. Another thing to think about is that with noise figure ratings of LNBs getting lower and lower there's a point of diminishing return and thus noise figure of the LNB becomes less and less significant. Other things like noise from adjacent satellites become more significant. Therefore most of the time your money will be better spent investing in a larger good quality dish than on some LNB with a supposedly magically noise figure rating.

On a new FSKu-2V lnbf, my signal is worse on G11 and considerably worse on IA 6 then it is with the regular Primestar lnb on both of these dishes. I haven't bothered trying AMC 1 or G4 like I want. I have 2 of the new lnbf's in the cabinet here I don't use. Maybe when I get some more meter Fortec dishes then I can use these in the future. I agree with what you write though about the Primestar lnb's. All 6 of mine still use them. AMC 1 one is getting worse though as it's the oldest. This dish will be the next to be replaced.

Success on G10. The first satellite I hit had White Springs on it. Since that is on IA7 horizontal I turned my Primestar LNBF 90 deg. Then looking on Langsat I saw that I needed to move 5 deg. left and 5 deg higher to aim at G10. The elevation adjustment screw works good.

I still need to run coax into the house to my switch but on 11720 I am getting a quality of around 59.

I worked on it for about 2 hours but after I got on IA7 and realized where I was it only took about 20 min. to finish up.

OH I forgot to mention that some of the time was spent taking the primestar LNBF apart to clean out the dead spider and webs which was keeping me for getting enough signal. I would like to craft some kind of cover to keep out the bugs from getting into the LNBF opening.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)