LNBF problem

iamnomad

Original poster
Sep 25, 2023
Utah
I have a 10 foot dish with a DMS International c/ku LNBF model BSC 621 and an open box 9 receiver. Lately around 2:00 PM I get a no signal message. Later after dark the signal comes back. I am thinking that I need a new LNBF but apparently the bsc 621 is no longer available. Is there another lnbf that compares with the bsc 621? This one automatically switches from horizontal to vertical.

iamnomad

All of the north American satellites particularly X4 and S1. Sorry for not responding sooner, I was traveling.

not sure what X4 and S1 are (we usually refer to satellites by their orbital slots as the names keep changing) but doesn't really matter... These days most people use LNBFs (with voltage-controlled polarity) even for C-band. you can still find chinese-made C/Ku combos but they are of mediocre quality and I have yet to see or hear of one that works well for both C and Ku.

My best recommendation would be to go with a Titanium C128 https://www.titaniumsatellite.com/c138.php

if you also want Ku, many of us have had decent results with a side-mounted regular Ku LNBF (mounted to the side of the C-band scalar)

Reactions: JFOK and FTA4PA
Got any photos of this setup? I'd be interested in seeing how some of you did this.

Thanks,
Just saying................
I used the platic part of a generic Ku LNBF holder, and a piece of flat, stiff ABS plastic, bolted to an unused hole in the scalar (since it has holes for 3- or 4-arm setups)

on the left is the Titanium C2-PLL, and for Ku I used a twin Inverto Black Premium.

I'm in the process of building a new one, that I will 3D-print, as the current one is a bit broken (those Ku LNBF holders get very brittle after a few years)

The most important part to remember is that the Ku LNBF must be located in the same plane as the C-Band feed (plane that is perpendicular to the polar axis, minus the declination) so that is also points at the arc. Of course the Ku satellite positions are shifted compared to C-Bnad, by about 6-8 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_7513.jpg
    IMG_7513.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Lone Gunman
I like universal solutions, like on the pictures. It is possible to install C or Ku band LNB in the focus. It is also possible to move scalar closer/further from the dish and to adjust multifeeded LNB fully independently.
But, of course, any solution is good when it helps to achieve needed results.
IMG_20191005_223841a.jpgIMG_20191005_223951a.jpg

I was referring to 105W. The lnbf that I am using picks up C and Ku and it switches polarity. I have been looking at the titanium but do not know if it does everything that my current one does. I used to use an old lnb and had to use an old receiver to switch polarity. I would prefer not to go back to that.

I'm curious what you plan to watch from 105W? There aren't many channels left in-the-clear on that satellite. Mostly Spanish language channels from Mexico. NBC is scrambled now. Cozi will leave in February 2024. Some others on 105W C-band are available on Ku.

I watch Cozi on 105W. I didn't know that it was leaving in Feb 24. Also since I have another receiver upstairs, I use 105w to park the dish before using the other receiver. I can also get Cozi off air, Guess I will go to that if it stays on Off air.

I'm curious what you plan to watch from 105W? There aren't many channels left in-the-clear on that satellite. Mostly Spanish language channels from Mexico. NBC is scrambled now. Cozi will leave in February 2024. Some others on 105W C-band are available on Ku.
EarthXTV is on 105W and a very good channel

Reactions: FTA4PA