Priorities for next E* enhancement

Which of the below enhancements should DISH release next?

• Add the RSNs

Votes: 75 21.7%
  • Add Cinemax HD

Votes: 37 10.7%
  • Activate Movies on Demand thru the Ethernet port

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • Let the Ethernet connection replace the phone line for all functions

Votes: 32 9.3%
  • Release a "whole house" DVR

Votes: 43 12.5%
  • Activate external storage via the USB

Votes: 98 28.4%
  • Release a switch capable of receiving 5 satellites

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 37 10.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, it kinda surprises me how much people care about HD locals. When I was up at my parents house this past weekend for Thanksgiving they were very pissed off at Comcast and the crappy HD DVR that they provide and were ready to make the switch (they are on their 4th HD DVR in a year because they keep screwing up). But when they realized that they can't get their locals in HD (as they do with comcast) they scrapped the Dish idea. The thing is they have a very nice setup. A 50" Pioneer Plasma with a nice surround sound system and my Dad just doesn't want to mess with OTA. He likes that he has 2 DVR tuners with Comcast's box. I really think that until the satellite companies can add basically all of the HD locals they are going to be losing out to the cable co's. It sucks, but that is how it is.

Yeah, it kinda surprises me how much people care about HD locals. ...
If we could get our Locals SD and HD OTA we would not have subscribed to Dish (or DirecTV) PERIOD :eek:

The only reason we subscribed to Dish HD Bronze was for the Austin HD locals that were supposed to be available by now. But of course in the mean time Rupert beat Charlie at his own game -- weasel litigation. And now we are all paying the price while Charlie tries to salvage his distant networks fiasco by uploading all the SD locals he can, etc.

FWIW We lived without anything but locals for the last 60 years and could easily do it for the next 20+ :) In fact, I could live without TV at all, but my wife insisted that we have some TV at our new home in the country -- somehing about Desperate Housewives :cool:

Talon Dancer

I know SD locals take less bandwidth by why can't they just shut off SD locals and send just the HD feed. The recievers can downconvert them and all would be good for those needing SD. Or can the non-HD recievers handle that signal? I bet they could with some software modification?? Or is bandwidth not the issue?

It's all well and good...

To have all of that extra stuff, ethernet, etc. but the real "grab" for *E* will be MORE HIGH DEFINITION NATIONAL CHANNELS. DirecTV is pounding their chests about "7" plus being in 65% of the local markets, but the trend, in this installer's eyes, is MUCHO HIGH DEFINITION, maybe even Hispanic HD Channel....

The Hispanics down here in San Diego, would jump at the chance for a Univision or Galavision HD channel.

Stay in focus Charlie.....all of that other stuff is nice, but your bread and butter for the next few years would be HIGH DEFINITION NATIONAL CHANNELS, and providing the bandwith to compete with D* and cable.

With Costco offering a Visio 42" LCD TV for $1199 and a Visio LCD 37" (which I have) for $999 and Christmas coming.....STAY ON THAT COURSE !!!!

ODD- well over a thousand views, but less than 20% actually voted. I know multiple visits will skew the figure, but still- seems like a lot of folks read but don't vote. I wonder why. Are these folks happy with things as-is, and don't care if they see anything new added?

ODD- well over a thousand views, but less than 20% actually voted. I know multiple visits will skew the figure, but still- seems like a lot of folks read but don't vote. I wonder why. Are these folks happy with things as-is, and don't care if they see anything new added?

I know that I've viewed this thread 5-6 times (using select unread to catch up with things), so 20% sounds about right for my voted/viewed ratio. Multiple viewings is why I don't normally pay attention to the viewed count on any website. Some sites use a metric called "unique visitors" or something like that which is more informative IMHO.

Cut back on Voom or ditch it completely. Change the "mpeg4" channels to mpeg2 until the encoders are really ready. Bring back full rez!!!

QUALITY before QUANTITY! Dish shouldn't be an all you can eat buffet!!!

With it looking like Dish Online will be the next enhancement, I thought I'd comment here. It looks like the second lowest item on the list, with less than 5% of the vote, will be the actual next enhancement. Maybe we'll get one or two of the others, such as external storage, at the same time.

We'll see at CES.

I think the 3 most important things to me are HD locals, HD locals and HD locals. I currently get my HD locals OTA but seem to constantly fight signal stability issues. Not to mention the attractiveness of having the ability to record 3 HD network programs at once on 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner.

How about improving the crappy, over-compressed picture quality??

I don't know what you guys are watching, but I have a 57" HD CRT projection Television, basically last of the line. The picture quality of my CRT is higher than any LCD, DLP or Plasma is going to give you, so if thats what you have, look no futher than your hardware. My picture is excellent. We don't get HD locals, so maybe that's what you are referring to, but the SD channels I would rate maybe an 8, and the HD stuff is all a 10 to me.

I voted for the external storage, as we have to be anal about deleting stuff on our 622, or we start running short of storage.

I would also like to see the ethernet port turned on, but external storage is much more important.

Obviously, I would love HD Locals, because my ABC station is 180 degrees from my NBC, CBS and Fox, and at channel 10 it is VHF which makes it a PITA to get, but HD Locals are evidently not happening any time soon for most of us due to bandwidth issues, so I voted for what seemed feasible.

Yes, I think external storage is the most important. I sure hope we hear good news next week. And not that "soon" word again!

Other,

Fix the 622, I still do not have local guide data for my Digital OTA PBS and MyNetwork TV.

I pay $5 a month for local guide data and I am not getting all of it.

Direct TV has it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)