Pro Bowl on Fox looks upconverted 16:9

It was in HD, but the Shockwave generated by Adrian Peterson was disrupting the equipment.

:)

I would say the same thing to you about Fox. They are both good, but I think Fox does it better. As long as it looks good I don't care.

All FOX stations put out the same signal so same multi-casting is the same across the country, unlike CBS which varies by station. Some local markets look like garbage but the unmolested ones are unmatched. There is a pretty good consensus on most web forums that CBS is tops in PQ and when it comes to the NFL, FOX is a good notch down. Now maybe your display isn't large enough or you sit to far away and that could explain things.

But I will agree with you about AP.

I don't know the last time I looked 70 inches was considered pretty big, and just like CBS all Fox stations get the same signal but not all Fox stations multicast ours doesn't and if 70 isn't big enough I can go up to 103 with the projector, or down to 60 with the Sony but like I tell everyone else it doesn't matter what anyone says as long as it looks good to you.

All FOX stations put out the same signal so same multi-casting is the same across the country, unlike CBS which varies by station. Some local markets look like garbage but the unmolested ones are unmatched. There is a pretty good consensus on most web forums that CBS is tops in PQ and when it comes to the NFL, FOX is a good notch down. Now maybe your display isn't large enough or you sit to far away and that could explain things.

But I will agree with you about AP.

Negative. All Fox stations do not multicast. I know one nearby that runs at 17mbps.

Negative. All Fox stations do not multicast. I know one nearby that runs at 17mbps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all FOX stations use the same splicer system and the signal coming to each affiliate already has a chunk cut out for the multi-cast channel. Now the site may not add in their multi-casting but the PQ is just the same as if they were.

Here is a link discussing the issue....

Will Fox kill the null packet stream for Super Bowl XLII ? - AVS Forum

And from FOXeng specifically "And no, I don't expect anymore bandwidth than the 16 max "

Since FOX is 720p60 they do not need the whole 6MHz to transmit their HD signal, many stations use it for a weather channel.

Since FOX is 720p60 they do not need the whole 6MHz to transmit their HD signal, many stations use it for a weather channel.

There's way more info in a 720p60 broadcast than can fit in a 6Mhz channel, hence compression. Using the entire bandwidth of the channel reduces the amount of compression.

There are no full-size HD trucks in Hawaii to handle sports broadcasts. ESPN contracted with a smaller company (and flew in a bunch of equipment) to broadcast the 2007 Hula Bowl in HD. Very much of a makeshift operation though. I think ESPN was trying to show up Fox this year by broadcasting their Pro Bowl coverage (NFL Live, SportsCenter spots, etc.) in HD, especially since they knew the game would be in 16:9 SD.

Hula Bowl to be high-definition broadcast - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all FOX stations use the same splicer system and the signal coming to each affiliate already has a chunk cut out for the multi-cast channel. Now the site may not add in their multi-casting but the PQ is just the same as if they were.

Here is a link discussing the issue....

Will Fox kill the null packet stream for Super Bowl XLII ? - AVS Forum

And from FOXeng specifically "And no, I don't expect anymore bandwidth than the 16 max "

Here's KARD running at 17.6. This is what they are putting out now what they are receiving is a different story.

7wgiqrt.jpg

I don't know the last time I looked 70 inches was considered pretty big, and just like CBS all Fox stations get the same signal but not all Fox stations multicast ours doesn't and if 70 isn't big enough I can go up to 103 with the projector, or down to 60 with the Sony but like I tell everyone else it doesn't matter what anyone says as long as it looks good to you.

My local Fox also looks great at 100" they have no subchannels

On the other hand CBS has constant macroblocking with sporting events. I cringe every year when March Madness rolls around. They have murdered the first couple rounds for the last 2 years.