Probably a noob question, sorry.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DavidsAwesome

Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
California
If I were to buy a DirecTV DVR off eBay... I wouldn't be leasing the unit, so I would have free DVR service, correct?

However... Someone said something about there being 2 cables for a DVR or something...

This wouldn't be HD.

Most of the DVR's sold on eBay are actually leased units that are being illegally sold. Since they are fully addressable, DTV will not provide service to one of these stolen units.

Make a good door stop though. Save your money.

to expand upon what you asked, (and yes everything blueeos said was correct including the doorstop bit) the leased receiver you would be unintentionally illegally purchasing would not be able to be activated, but assuming the receiver was old enough to be considered 'customer owned' a tivo perhaps, you would still need to pay the 5.99 monthly dvr service fee on top of the 4.99 additional receiver fee if you do not have any other dvrs on your account.

And to expand even more....If you are getting an hd unit, unless it is Directv branded, it won't get the new mpeg4 channels. It would work fine for the sd ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts