Problem adding old TIVO receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishiki

Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
I recently tried to add an old TIVO receiver to one of our rooms and am having issues. I have another old tivo up and running, and I have and HD-DVR downstairs.

When I go through the setup it fails acquiring info. My locals do not show up and I get about half the channels. I went through satellite setup and changed the zip code and what not because it was from a different location. In the signal strength, every other channel is 0, and the ones the have strength are 94-98.

I called directv and their solution was to send out another box, but I don't think that is the problem. If I try to make a call with the box, it fails saying phone is busy. WHen I do a system it fails to detect all three satellites. Any other suggestions? I know that the cable is fine, because the other tivo was in this room previously.

The Tivo is a Samsung Series 2 SIR-S4120R.

Okay so say I have room 1 and room 2. Room 2 had the first tivo, everything worked fine. I moved the first tivo to room 1 everything worked fine. Tivo 2 went into room 2, and I have problems. So I moved tivo 2 to room 1, viola, everything works fine.

Up in the attic, the cable comes up from the multiswitch, and then there is a splitter there that feeds into the three rooms. Room 2 is the longest run, I would say maybe 25 feet. Could that cause the degradation in the signal, even though tivo 1 works there. I am trying tivo 1 back in room 2 with tivo 2 attached in room 1 to see if it works.

And it doesn't. So if I have one tivo hooked up upstairs to room 2 I am fine. But if I put a tivo in room 1, room 2 craps out. So what is the cabling solution to fix this? Run a separate cable directly from the multiswitch? It's a long run, probably about 60 feet or so. Is that something I can or want to do myself?

Last edited:
I recently tried to add an old TIVO receiver to one of our rooms and am having issues. I have another old tivo up and running, and I have and HD-DVR downstairs.

When I go through the setup it fails acquiring info. My locals do not show up and I get about half the channels. I went through satellite setup and changed the zip code and what not because it was from a different location. In the signal strength, every other channel is 0, and the ones the have strength are 94-98.

I called directv and their solution was to send out another box, but I don't think that is the problem. If I try to make a call with the box, it fails saying phone is busy. WHen I do a system it fails to detect all three satellites. Any other suggestions? I know that the cable is fine, because the other tivo was in this room previously.

The Tivo is a Samsung Series 2 SIR-S4120R.

Okay so say I have room 1 and room 2. Room 2 had the first tivo, everything worked fine. I moved the first tivo to room 1 everything worked fine. Tivo 2 went into room 2, and I have problems. So I moved tivo 2 to room 1, viola, everything works fine.

Up in the attic, the cable comes up from the multiswitch, and then there is a splitter there that feeds into the three rooms. Room 2 is the longest run, I would say maybe 25 feet. Could that cause the degradation in the signal, even though tivo 1 works there. I am trying tivo 1 back in room 2 with tivo 2 attached in room 1 to see if it works.

And it doesn't. So if I have one tivo hooked up upstairs to room 2 I am fine. But if I put a tivo in room 1, room 2 craps out. So what is the cabling solution to fix this? Run a separate cable directly from the multiswitch? It's a long run, probably about 60 feet or so. Is that something I can or want to do myself?

There is your problem. You can not use splitters with a DirecTV system at this time. You need to run a dedicated cable to each receiver input from the multiswitch.

When they hooked up my system, they connected all the cables to the multiswitch, old owner had DISH. So when I hooked stuff upstairs I looked and saw that the cable coming from multiswitch was split in the attic.
So what type of cable do I need to do this? This should resolve my problems? How much would directv charge me to come and do it? I have to essentially run up 4 floors to do this as multiswitch is at basement in back of house.

I'm not sure what DirecTV would charge for this, but you can always call and ask them. It sounds like the cables are wall fished, so you should expect to pay custom labor rates if you have D* do it. You may want to check with a local AV installation company and see what they would charge you. If you're somewhat handy with tools, it is fairly easy to do yourself.

You will need RG-6 cabling, and I would recommend compression connectors also but crimp will work for indoor applications if you don't want to spend the money.

I am pretty handy and I am thinking I can fish the wore that is currently at multiswitch by tying the new cables to it. Is a big box like Lowes or HD going to have everything I need?

DirecTV doesn't charge custom labor and will probably tell you the tech will do it free, which is a lie. Most techs will charge $40-$100 to fish 1 line depending on the complexity and if they need to cut into the drywall (other than the wall plate), may charge more.

Lowes/HomeDepot should have what you need.

They will have the cables, best bet is to buy a 500' box of RG6 60% braid 3.0ghtz.

If you don't have them, pick on a compression tool, RG6 Wire Stipper, a jug of Black compression fittings

You may also need a 4x8 powered multi-switch, though not supported you could cascade 2 3x4's, just make sure they are DirecTV approved for 13v/18v

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts