Problem aiming Dish Coolsat 5000 Geosatpro 36"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tif

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2012
Northeastern US
Tif,

Regarding the firmware and the satellite list. I recommend that you use the file available here: FTAFirmware for Coolsat
You will need the CS5000 - 006 - 2009/12/23 file, the other one is for the 6000 model. If you upgrade the firmware with this file, it will have a satellite list included with some transponders, but no channels (you do have to scan for those).

The only other firmware that would be recommended would be the factory firmware from about 2005. If you bought it used, it may very well have a hackware version installed. I would install the firmware version that I mentioned to be sure, safe and legal. It also has a lot of nice perks to make setup and maintenance easier.

ADDED: Please read the guide here... http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band.html

RADAR

Yep thats the firmware I have installed. So at least thats right.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 9, 2009
canada
if the quality meter is bouncing up and down between zero and say 30 or 40 then that probably means your hitting DTV satellite at 101w....

i think you should take my previous suggestion and install a circular lnb temporarily....circular satellites are simple to find and you can use them as reference points....

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Pictures are worth a thousand words or at least twenty posts.....

That dish is definitely aimed too high! It looks to be tilted back an extra 10 or 15 degrees....

Isn't the SG9150 motor the one that is shipped with wrong instructions for setting the dish elevation angle? :eek:

I believe that the manual incorrectly states that the dish angle should be calculated by deducting the declination from 40 degrees, but in reality the manual was printed wrong and should instead read subtract the declination angle from 30 degrees?

If so, the OP should have the dish elevation set below 25 degrees (like Mike11 suggested in post #3)..... Comments????

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
Isn't the SG9150 motor the one that is shipped with wrong instructions for setting the dish elevation angle? :eek:

I believe that the manual incorrectly states that the dish angle should be calculated by deducting the declination from 40 degrees, but in reality the manual was printed wrong and should instead read subtract the declination angle from 30 degrees?

If so, the OP should have the dish elevation set below 25 degrees..... Comments????

Brian,

I was wondering about this in a few posts back, too. I don't know for sure about this specific motor, but I do recall that there were two or more variations of the SG2100 motor and each one had a different motor tube bend angle depending upon where or which manufacturer produced it. One had a 30° vs a 35° or 40° bend. You couldn't just go on-line to look at the SG2100 manual because you had to match the manual found to the specific mfg (not the model number) and they might have misprinted some of the instruction pamphlets or put them in the wrong box.

Almost like buying a TV set from Wards vs Sears. Neither one actually produced it, but they contracted it from almost the same parent company and the two sets were nearly identical, but not quite. They just made a few minor changes and labeled the box and the logo differently.

RADAR

tif

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2012
Northeastern US
Pictures are worth a thousand words or at least twenty posts.....

That dish is definitely aimed too high! It looks to be tilted back an extra 10 or 15 degrees....

If so, the OP should have the dish elevation set below 25 degrees (like Mike11 suggested in post #3)..... Comments????

Before I take the motor off I will reset the dish using 30 degrees - the 6.4 declination that the manual chart says to use for my latitude. I noticed today that the signal did seem to bounce a tad higher more the lower I went.

tif

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2012
Northeastern US
if the quality meter is bouncing up and down between zero and say 30 or 40 then that probably means your hitting DTV satellite at 101w....

i think you should take my previous suggestion and install a circular lnb temporarily....circular satellites are simple to find and you can use them as reference points....

Yes I'll look for a circular lnb. I have a couple old dtv dishes will the single lnb work on my dish? I think it mounts differently or can I just clamp onto the round part of the lnb instead?

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
If that reading of 30 is truly due to a satellite signal being received, and moving the elevation up/down and azimuth right / left very small amounts doesn't improve that reading to at least 70% or better, then you're receiving the wrong satellite. My experience when orienting my dish is, once in the ballpark (meaning you are receiving some reading for signal quality), forget the numbers and focus on orienting the dish. The numbers on the motor are guidelines: they are coarsely marked and not really useful for the precision required to align the dish. I agree the circular pay TV sat signals are useful if you happen to have a circular LNB for dish orienting, if you can't find any FTA linear signals. But if the circular LNB isn't mounted in the exact same spot in the same way as the linear LNB, then you might be "led astray" since the dish will end up being oriented in the wrong direction with respect to a linear LNB for a given azimuth reading.

tif

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2012
Northeastern US
Last night I moved the SG9120 motor to the lower set of bolt holes and managed to start pulling in signals and channels. The suggestions that maybe the dish was aiming to high by the looks of the pictures I posted got me thinking. I'm @ 41 Latitude and there are two scales patterns on the motor. The upper scale starts @ 41 and the lower scale ends @ 40 I figured if the motor scale was a tad off even by .5 degrees it would throw my aim off. So I figured what do I have to lose and gave it a try.

(See picture of mount I moved the motor to the red circled holes)

sg9120 mount.jpg

I set my Latitude on the scale on the motor just a tad above 40 degrees and I set the dish @ 24. I know I totally ignored what the manual said but at least now I am picking up something. I'm sure its set wrong and will need more fine tuning because I'm not getting the channels I want , but at least I'm getting something. I have some more questions that I'll post in a new thread.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read my posts and take the time to reply with suggestions. It's so nice to know that there are still people that are willing to help out. All you help is truly appreciated. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
I set my Latitude on the scale on the motor just a tad above 40 degrees and I set the dish @ 24. I know I totally ignored what the manual said but at least now I am picking up something.

Congratulations! The beginnings of success!!!

I don't believe that you are wrong. The manual is wrong. :mad:

Too bad that over a year has gone by since the error was first documented and these motors are still being shipped with bad manual. One would think that an addendum printed on a neon paper insert would have been included in each motor alerting customers of this major error. I wonder how many thousands of hours have been lost over this misprint! :eek:

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
That's great news, glad you are getting somewhere. If that dish is as high off the ground as it looks, I feel for you!
On a ladder is a tough way to work on a dish. Or standing on the edge of a building.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
You have it set right, Tif. I've never even looked at the manuals for my SG-9120 motors ;) ...

Like most FTA equipment manuals, they're not soft enough for bathroom tissue, and they burn too fast for firewood! :eek:

I like the SG-9120 hardware, though... These have been the best motors I've ever used. They have the occasional slack (backlash) issue like most H-H motors, however it is easier to correct on these motors than on others.

tif

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2012
Northeastern US
That's great news, glad you are getting somewhere. If that dish is as high off the ground as it looks, I feel for you!
On a ladder is a tough way to work on a dish. Or standing on the edge of a building.

The dish really isn't that high off the ground and the roof is a flat roof so its easy to put the 8 ft step ladder on my deck for easy access to the roof. Thats why I chose the location. Easy access and up out of the way from tractors and lawn mowers.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
The dish really isn't that high off the ground and the roof is a flat roof so its easy to put the 8 ft step ladder on my deck for easy access to the roof. Thats why I chose the location. Easy access and up out of the way from tractors and lawn mowers.
Haha, I can't even mow around mine, got so many in a small place I just use the weedeater! If'n I didn't I'm sure I could knock down 2-3 before I got the mower stopped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)