Problem hooking up analog reciever to newer tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta4life

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Beaumont,Texas
I am using an uniden analog reciever and i have it hooked up to av port on my tv and it only shows on screen when i hit time otherwise my tv says no signal. i tried all ports on my tv. any of you ever had a problem running an analog on a hdtv?

Do the menus appear?

If so, your TV is seeing the snow (static) from the receiver as noise and suppressing the signal. That's common on modern TVs. I'm not sure how you get around it, unless there is a setting in the menu somewhere.

If that is happening, it should still show a TV channel when tuned in to a signal, like the Shepard Channel on 91W (or somewhere like that)

A lot of old receivers have no on screen menu and it will look as if the TV is not detecting it, if you're not locked onto a signal it will just show snow. What model Uniden is it? Is there a led bar graph on the receiver to show signal strength? I guess that you got your dish up?

I have not got dish up yet still have to get mesh on. i was trying to check the reciever out there is not sat hooked up to it. when i flip channels there is nothing on the screen at alk just a blue screen on my tv saying no signal.

If you aren't hooked up to a working dish, that's what you will get. I'm supposing you will combine with your MicroHD box (once you get the c-band dish aimed).
Does the tv have the old red/white/yellow composite inputs? Or component inputs? The uniden should have the old composite-out jacks on it, or just plain audio output with a separate video out. Some had video/out and audio on the descrambler panel-ignore those because they won't work on channels that aren't scrambled. I have an old GI 650 that outputs to my HDTV, but my tv has the old composite input jacks on the back of it too, just select the correct input and it will show the menu or channel #s as you flip through the sat channels.

Last edited:
Ok i hooked it up to my dvd recorder and got it working but i still am gonna have to find a remote because i cant get t the menu without the remote. i will get it going though and yes i am gonna run my microhd through it so i can move the dish with the analog box.

If you'll tell us WHICH uniden, we might be able to cough up a remote for it. I might even have one, I got a 560 or 590 with a remote someplace here, stored.
Possibly find one on ebay or, universal remote like a Harmony remote could have codes for Uniden.

I have a 7700 with motor drive, when connected to the newer TV it shows a black screen too until it receives a signal. The TV uses some sort of squelching system that won't let it show dead or really low signals.
Kind of a pain these days if you use an LNBF for C-band, you have to change the skew using your DVB receiver by switching channels. Without the remote the analog tuner and motor control would be useless. A G- or V-box with diseqc control makes moving the dish much simpler, and there is a new product on the horizon that controls skew as well for corotor type feedhorns.

yeah i found out it wasnt the tv, lol. For some reason on the screen it only shows when I hit the timer button and it says Sunday 12:00 a.m, it wont let me do anything and when I hit the menu button or settings nothing pops up on the screen even though the remote is working, so I can use it for polarity but no way to set the motor up without being able to pull the settings up. I have never seen this before. lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)