Problem with Dish service call

Michael252

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
(near) Dallas, Texas
Over a month ago, my 722k developed a problem. I phoned Dish and they sent out a service rep the next day. Indeed, the 722k had a problem and he replaced the unit. My wife was the one at home at the time and I didn’t notice this until later that night. The service rep replaced my 722k with a 722. I felt I had been downgraded. So I called the technician back and explained my issue. He had no idea that there was a difference in the two units. The next day his manager called me, and he, too, was lost as to the difference. It's really perplexing when I know more about the DVRs that the technicians do. He had me read the serial number off the back of the unit and his response was, “Yep, that’s a 722.” He told me he didn’t have a 722k with a dual OTA module in stock and that he would have one sent to him the next day. I had to call him two days later and he said that they sent him the wrong box. He said he’d call when the box came in. That’s the last I heard from him. I sent Dish a message via their online message page a week ago and have yet to hear anything from them.

Has anyone had any similar experience? What did you do to remedy your situation?

I think others have had this happen before and I bet there are thousands more that have no idea they got a different model. The 722 and 722k are considered the same to Dish. I'm sure you could talk to DIRT on here and see if they can help you get the 722k back.

Did you have an OTA module in your old 722k?

We no longer receive training on the OTA module. It's reasonable that if a tech has been employed less than 2 years to not even know the receivers are capable of receiving off air channels.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Maybe they'll let you hop up at no charge, although you'd still have a single OTA tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIRT used to be on the Forums page listed in red but I didn't see any on duty just now. It would make sense if they were on the Dish Forum page but what do I know.

Most DISH systems are leased which means DISH owns the receiver. To DISH 622/722 & 722K are classed as the same receiver so they can substitute one for the other.

Huh. I thought "receiver swaps" was the one place where they treated them all differently just so this scenario doesn't come back to bite us.

Huh. I thought "receiver swaps" was the one place where they treated them all differently just so this scenario doesn't come back to bite us.

As a retailer we try to swap out the exact model so we don't run into this. We also do not steal the customer's OTA module. I would be upset with them taking that since it's a $40 part that the customer has to purchase.

I went to the very top of the Forum where we used to have a list of who is online. I don't see it there with the new software. Has it bee relocated?

If you call Tech Support for a receiver swap, they send the same model. If they roll a truck, they tell you up front it may not be the same model. Or at least they did last time I had one go wonky last summer.

As others have said, and has been discussed here before (and I was told I was wrong), Dish, in our systems, considers the 622, 722, and 722K all part of the same family. In theory, they are considered interchangeable. I know there are differences in the processor, and hard drive space, and also the major difference with the OTA module. When we do a Return Authorization (known as an RA), the system does select the same receiver, but we cannot guarantee that it will be the exact same model. As someone else said, most of the time, the folks paying attention try to be consistent and be sure to replace with the exact same receiver. If anything, there are more 722Ks out there replacing the 722s. But that can make folks angry, as the 722K requires the OTA module, and the 722 has the built in OTA.

Also, if someone does an upgrade, Dish has absolutely zero control whether the customer gets a certain model from the receiver family. None at all. If someone upgrades from an older 625 to a HD Duo DVR, it will show as the 622/722/722K family. If a customer upgrades from an older 311 to a HD Solo non-DVR, they would get something in the 211/211K/211Z family. Technically, even the 411 is shown as part of that family, but I don't recall ever encountering one on an account. But the Dish employees can't force it to be a 211K over a 211Z, for instance.

Disclaimer: As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

As a retailer we try to swap out the exact model so we don't run into this. We also do not steal the customer's OTA module. I would be upset with them taking that since it's a $40 part that the customer has to purchase.

I bet the 'tech' didn't even know there was an OTA tuner in there or anything about it.

I think that old saying goes something like... Never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance. :D

Best bet is to be knowledgeable, meet the tech at his truck, and eyeball the receiver before he even gets inside. Wrong box, move along, come back when you've got the right box. I did that for the 508 offer, when my 2 ViP622s got replaced with ViP722s (before this "common family" nonsense) and again when I moved to 2 HWS (to ensure they weren't "old" Hoppers).

Yet the techs love me. I pre-wire. Makes for a fast install, and I tip well. I even had a wiring diagram for the HWS move, and was respectful that it was a suggestion, not an order. I'd even put down extra flooring in the attic and installed lighting there for this install. He was floored, and took the diagram with him to show the guys in the shop.

Be an educated consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts