Problem with Ethernet ports

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lou_82

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I have the HD-DVR box and I wanted to set it up for On Demand, I attempted to connect a CAT5 cable from my router into the ethernet ports on the back of the box but the ports were too small for the cable. Not sure why that is....

Which HD DVR do you have, Lou? If it's the TiVo-based HR10-250, then it has no Ethernet ports and will not support DOD. With the HR20s and HR21, however, you should have no problems with either CAT 5e or CAT 6. They both use the wider RJ-45 plug. The only difference between the two cables is the bandwidth the cable itself can support.

Which HD DVR do you have, Lou? If it's the TiVo-based HR10-250, then it has no Ethernet ports and will not support DOD. With the HR20s and HR21, however, you should have no problems with either CAT 5e or CAT 6. They both use the wider RJ-45 plug. The only difference between the two cables is the bandwidth the cable itself can support.

I have the HR20 and the cat5 did not fit, the ports were too small, there are two plastic cases sticking out of the ports, i tried to pull them out but they wouldnt come out so I tried to stick the cables in them and it wouldnt happen.

I have the HR20 and the cat5 did not fit, the ports were too small, there are two plastic cases sticking out of the ports, i tried to pull them out but they wouldnt come out so I tried to stick the cables in them and it wouldnt happen.

Are you using the Cat5 port or the telephone port?

Wow, You Have To Take The Dame Plastic Pieces Off. It Is Not That Hard. You Take It Out Just Like Taking An Eternet Cable Out. You Push Down On That Thing That Is Sticking Out A Little (the Lock Piece) And You Pull It Out. Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, You Have To Take The Dame Plastic Pieces Off. It Is Not That Hard. You Take It Out Just Like Taking An Eternet Cable Out. You Push Down On That Thing That Is Sticking Out A Little (the Lock Piece) And You Pull It Out. Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Excuse me, I tried that and was pretty forceful and the things did not want to come out so I did not want to damage the box and go through the headache of getting another.

Thanks, though. :rolleyes:

I didn't think mine was going to fit, either, but persistence paid off. The hole in the HR20's seems to be a little off-center. I wiggled and pushed until it finally snapped in and it's been fine ever since, but to be honest I didn't think I was going to be able to make it work.

Bit harsh there don't ya think Boyd ...

Jimbo

Well Excuse me, I tried that and was pretty forceful and the things did not want to come out so I did not want to damage the box and go through the headache of getting another.

Thanks, though. :rolleyes:

He is right though.

Did you get it Lou ?

Theres a small clip in the molded plastic that has to be pressed before it will release.
Once you get it out you'll see how it is designed.
The new cord should snap in , you should feel it click into place :up

Jimbo

Did you get it Lou ?

Theres a small clip in the molded plastic that has to be pressed before it will release.
Once you get it out you'll see how it is designed.
The new cord should snap in , you should feel it click into place :up

Jimbo

Yes, I was able to take the clips out. Now I cant connect to the DTV network, but I guess ill start another thread on that lol

Thanks Jimbo.

Yes, I was able to take the clips out. Now I cant connect to the DTV network, but I guess ill start another thread on that lol

Thanks Jimbo.

Making the physical connection ?
Can you run a cat 5 Eternet cable from computer to DTV rec. ?
If not, you can get a "Wireless Eternet Adaptor", Buffalo makes the one I use, works real easy, basically plugged it in and it found everything I needed.

You'll have to talk to others if you want to farther, for some reason Networking is not my game, but there are plenty of people on the site that do, do that ....

Jimbo

If not, you can get a "Wireless Eternet Adaptor", Buffalo makes the one I use, works real easy, basically plugged it in and it found everything I needed.

You'll have to talk to others if you want to farther, for some reason Networking is not my game, but there are plenty of people on the site that do, do that ....

Jimbo
If it's the same Buffalo ethernet bridge I got, it also has 3 extra Ethernet ports (4 total). Great device and cheap, although it may be hard to find due to a patent controversy that I think pretty much covers all brands. Model # is WLI-TX4-G54HP.

Jimbo

I connected the network cable from the back of the HR20 to a port in my linksys router. When I go to help&settings>network> on my DTV box and try to connect it does not connect to the internet, though it does connect to the network.

I am pretty sure I know what the problem is, I am getting a 169.254 IP address which tells me I am not hitting DTV's DHCP server as that is the IP you get when you cant connect to a DHCP server. The Tech at DTV was unable to figure out why this was happening and he advised that I call Best Buy's Geek Squad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)