Problem with Output Settings w/Sammy DLP

Nameme90

Original poster
May 21, 2004
I just had Voom installed today and everything went great except for one minor problem. I have a Samsung DLP (HLN507W) so I was planning on leaving the box on the 720p setting. When cycling through the outputs the only two that are watchable are 480p and 480i and that is obviously not acceptable. When in 1080i mode it is like there are two images layed one on top of the other so it is like I am seeing double. In 720p mode, the upper left hand corner of the screen has the correct image, the upper right hand corner has a repeated portion of the HD image, and the entire bottom third just has a frozen image of whatever was displayed when the output setting was changed. The box still has the 5.08 software so I'm hoping this is just a compatibility problem that will be cured when the box gets 5.68 but I doubt it will be that simple. I know other people here have this TV so maybe some of you guys had the same problem and can lead me in the right direction. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Name,

The 720p problem is specific to the 5.08 software. Version 5.68 should fix that -- it also improves the stability and responsiveness of the guide, with much faster channel changing speed.

I think you may still find that the 1080i setting (top bar) yields the best picture -- the Samsung appears to do a better job with 1080i->720p conversion than the STB. What input are you using on the Samsung? Note that only two of the Samsung's three component inputs are listed as supporting HD.

I have the same display and use DVI. At first, the DVI output appeared a little washed out; I had to tweak the Samsung's display settings a little to get the same brilliant colors seen on component. After making those adjustments, I prefer the more detailed picture available on DVI.

Nameme90 said:
When cycling through the outputs the only two that are watchable are 480p and 480i...
If you are using component cables, make sure they are not connected to the first component input "Component1". According to your manual, this input can only handle 480p/480i.

Thank you guys so much for your quick replies! At the moment, the STB is connected to the TV by DVI. I may switch it to component just for the Laker game and hope that the update comes overnight so I can switch back to DVI. So Ken, did the same thing happen to you when you first got Voom installed and the 5.68 update cured it? Thanks again for your help and I'll let you guys know what happens after the software update comes in.

5.68 cured it luckily so thank you guys for all your help. I took your advice Ken and went with 1080i instead of 720p. It seems a tad sharper. I already had the set calibrated especially for DVI so I have no complaints in that department. Thanks again, guys! I am officially voomin'!

Nameme90 said:
Thank you guys so much for your quick replies! At the moment, the STB is connected to the TV by DVI. I may switch it to component just for the Laker game and hope that the update comes overnight so I can switch back to DVI. So Ken, did the same thing happen to you when you first got Voom installed and the 5.68 update cured it? Thanks again for your help and I'll let you guys know what happens after the software update comes in.
I had a similar problem but I couldnt set the box to 720P. 1080i worked. I got the updated and the next morning everything was fine.

on 1080i when you get the double picture, just turn your tv off for 10 secs, and turn it back on and yo are set

I have the same TV but the 61" DLP. I got Voom installed yesterday and mine was doing the exact same thing. Got up today and it is still doing it, but only on the 1080i setting. I turned my TV off for a minute and it's fixed. If I try to go to a different output setting and then back to 1080i it messes up again. WHY!! I hope I don't have to turn on-off my TV every time.

the sammy has a problem synchronizing after you swith the resolution. You should just leave it at 1080i

I had my voom installed today as well and had the same problem with my SAMMY DLP. I called twice for a hit for the software upgrade but it didn't seem to take. Hope it does overnight. Since I am replacing my SIR-T165 with the Motorola, it was a bit shocking to see the local digital channels look worse than with the SAMMY STB. Man I hope the software upgrade corrects it. I love the extra sharp picture of my SAMMY from before. Also we had a light rain and lost the signal entirely. I may move to a 24" inch dish. Thanks for the advise on turning the TV off and then on. I will try that later as soon as I can wrestle the TV from my son. He is watching the Stanley Cub.

I also noticed that on SD channels that I get a black space on the left side of picture. I never got that with my SAMMY STB. How do I re-adjust that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)