Status
Please reply by conversation.

va2ir

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Eastern Canada
Guys,

Last October I had to remove all my dishes for a new roof. I have a good sub, so the FTA stayed down until now, as I read that RTV (or RTN) has changed their programming, and have a couple of good shows I have not seen in a while

Equipment is a Viewsat extreme, and a 1 meter (39 inch dish) with single LNB.

I did get the channel with Q between 35 and 50 last year.

I remounted the dish today in roughly the same spot, and took a reading on the dispointer site (207 degrees at a 36 degree elevation) and nothing. I also tried aiming over a nearby landmark according to the overhead view, and still, strong signal on the S meter, over 80, but no Q at all. I did a blind scan, I believe I am on the right bird, but it finds no TV channels. I have a strong signal at TP 10795, Q is around 50, but its not a TV channel, maybe a data transponder. Should I use this to peak out the dish and rescan? As it did a blind scan, the Q-meter did jump a few times, but it still registered no channels.

All this for Starsky and Hutch.

Thanks

Ian R.

My settings for the RTV TP are ok, I just have no signal, and I cannot remember how I dialled it in. I remember last year getting the NBC color bars, then just adding the RTV TP info, and poof, it was there.

RTN is coming in fine here in eastern Washington. Are you able to pick up other sats close by?

I have a strong signal at TP 10795, Q is around 50, but its not a TV channel, maybe a data transponder.

Lyngsat shows the transponders for AMC 9 Ku to be from 11735 to 12180. Is your LO frequency set properly?
The standard LNBF receives from 11.7 - 12.2 GHz.

Last edited:
Larry, maybe I have my initial antenna settings wrong. Its been so long I forget. I have the LNB type set to standard, then there is a frequency it needs, so should I put that up at 11.7 ( think its 11.250, but I have to check?) I have a strong signal, s meter is at 80 or over, but no channels detected. I manually had to add the satellite name to the list. So how does the receiver know the satellite parameters? Or does it get that when it scans the channels? I'm almost postive I'm aimed right. Used an angle finder to check the elevation for my area, and I went left and right with the dish with a good compass, I'm on 207 degrees.

A standard Linear Ku LNBF has a LO of 10750
A DBS Circular LNBF has a LO of 11250
A universal Linear Ku LNBF has two LO's, 9750/10600 These are selected by 22khz on/off

For RTV on AMC 9, (83W) you would use a standard Linear Ku LNBF (has a LO of 10750) or a Universal Linear Ku LNBF (LO 9750/10600)

There should also be a transponder frequency that would have 11735 Horizontal and symbol rate 4440. A scan of that transponder should pick up the channels.

Larry, I think I am aimed wrong. I changed the LO value (to 10750 I think) and it found channels, Nimiq 1 channels, so I must be pointed in the slightly wrong direction. Nimiq 1 is at 91 degrees, AMC9 at 83, so I am a few off the mark. I will have to try tomorrow night to turn it a bit further south and see what happens. Is there any way, by entering the TP and channel info manually into the receiver to determine when I am on AMC9? Or is it just hit and miss. Doesnt say much for the Iphone compass app.

On the antenna setup screen (under installation) pick the satellite 83.0W on the top, then down to TP frequency. Arrow across to 11735 and the S and Q meters on the right hand side should rise when you hit the satellite. But first mark with an ink marker the spot on the pole and the elevation for reference of where you are now. Check the channels names you scanned in from Bell to make sure you are on 91 and not on 82.

Larry, I don't have that bird in any list on the viewsat. I actually have to "add new satellite" and then name it. I did a factory default, still no list. I only show 3 birds, 2 US, 1 Canadian. Dont need any of them. Tonight I will swing the dish further south. Guaranteed I am on 91 and not 82. So I need to move it 8 degrees south. One dish I had, had a small ruler tape around the main pipe, every 1/16th of an inch was about 3 degrees, so I will mark where I am, but I will move the dish maybe an eighth of an inch to get 83w. i hope.

on the Viewsat Ultra you go menu>installation>Channel scan then down twice and right twice to "add satellite" from the bottom. add the two transponders(NBC &RTV) from the list. go right twice to edit transponder then the color keys to add/edit the transponders. alternately you could upload a .sat file through the serial cable

go to Antenna setup and choose the added satellite .
LNB Power:On
LNb type:standard
LNB Freq 10750
TP Freq 11735 (or 11775)
(switches to off/none)
put a sharpie mark where Nimiq is(both azimuth and elevation,doesn't hurt to save as a reference point) then move it to where you think the AMC9 is. If your using one of the little sf95 squealer meters it will max out when you hit the other nimiq sat at 82 after that you'll have to use your receivers meter to get 83. I use the same mounting post circumference trick as you do because it works pretty good. you might have to change your elevation slightly. luckily the RTV signal is much stronger than it used to be

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts