Problems getting sat signal after move

ZuniJayne

Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
New Mexico
Greetings, Gang!

I just switched to DISH this summer. I was housesitting, so the installer used the existing dishes on the roof to the 522 receiver. I'm not sure which dishes those were, exactly, but two coaxes came into the house and went to the #1 and #2 inputs on the back of the receiver. I really loved the DVR!

I'm waiting for my house to be built on my property and am living in an RV in the meantime. I'd used DirecTV portably for years without a problem. The dish was mounted on a tripod and it took all of 15 minutes to aim it with the help of the basic $35 analog signal meter. I was told that DISHMover did not support RVs, but I should be able to do this myself.

The installer at the house gave me a DPP dish to use later. I also have a basic twin LNB as an option. "Later" is here, and I'm having problems.:rant:

The RV has an input on the outer wall for a *single* coax. I tried setting up with a single coax cable from LNB connector #1 to the outside connection, then ran a single coax inside to input #1. I was able to get a 60 signal on 119, but couldn't pull in 110. When I tried again, I lost 119 but got 110. When I ran "check switch" the receiver recognized 110 but not 119. About that time my analog signal meter quit - it got no power from the receiver like normal. Now I don't know if that is a receiver problem or something in the meter fried??

I tried the old "open the window and max the volume" trick to hear the onscreen signal meter. Nothing. Then the receiver insisted on changing to either sat 105 or 129 on the signal strength page ALL BY ITSELF, no matter what I changed it back to. I don't have HD.

The first advanced tech rep I talked with said to use the DPP LNB and use a separator just before the receiver so there is input for both #1 and #2. That sounded good and I figured I'd get one Monday after the Xmas holiday.

Then I realized that one feature of having twin inputs to the receiver was being able to record more than just one - especially since I don't have a second TV.

I used the HughesNet dual coax (a mistake?) to run from both outputs on the DPP in through the window straight to inputs #1 and #2 on the receiver. I still couldn't get a signal tuned in, and "check switch" didn't seem to recognize the new configuration. We are talking less than 30 feet, so is line loss a factor?

I recall from somewhere that there is a Catch-22 at work here.....you can't get the onscreen signal meter to work properly unless the "check switch" function is working properly BUT the "check switch" function won't work properly unless it sees a valid signal. SHEESH! Of course, I did the hard off/on thing several times with the receiver, to no avail.

I would like to run two coaxes from the DPP LNB and don't mind doing some new "plumbing" in the RV for it if I can get increased versatility from the 522. All my coaxes were working fine before. I can run another resistance test on all of them again, I suppose.

Can I manually set anything on the "check switch?" Use regular (not satellite TV) coax? I really appreciate any help you can give me. I have just enough knowledge to be scary. ;)

P.S. I just LOVE the RANT smiley!

clear the switch matrix

1st thing you are going to have to do is clear the switch matrix. To do this disconnect the cable to the recvr. Then run the chk switch, next hook both inputs up with the 2 cables and run chk switch again. Then let us know what it shows. How many output ports are on the LNB, are three 2 or 3? What was the question about the HD I don't understand that, are you asking about a hard drive or Hi Def?

Greetings, Gang!

I just switched to DISH this summer. I was housesitting, so the installer used the existing dishes on the roof to the 522 receiver. I'm not sure which dishes those were, exactly, but two coaxes came into the house and went to the #1 and #2 inputs on the back of the receiver. I really loved the DVR!

I'm waiting for my house to be built on my property and am living in an RV in the meantime. I'd used DirecTV portably for years without a problem. The dish was mounted on a tripod and it took all of 15 minutes to aim it with the help of the basic $35 analog signal meter. I was told that DISHMover did not support RVs, but I should be able to do this myself.

The installer at the house gave me a DPP dish to use later. I also have a basic twin LNB as an option. "Later" is here, and I'm having problems.:rant:

The RV has an input on the outer wall for a *single* coax. I tried setting up with a single coax cable from LNB connector #1 to the outside connection, then ran a single coax inside to input #1. I was able to get a 60 signal on 119, but couldn't pull in 110. When I tried again, I lost 119 but got 110. When I ran "check switch" the receiver recognized 110 but not 119. About that time my analog signal meter quit - it got no power from the receiver like normal. Now I don't know if that is a receiver problem or something in the meter fried??

I tried the old "open the window and max the volume" trick to hear the onscreen signal meter. Nothing. Then the receiver insisted on changing to either sat 105 or 129 on the signal strength page ALL BY ITSELF, no matter what I changed it back to. I don't have HD.

The first advanced tech rep I talked with said to use the DPP LNB and use a separator just before the receiver so there is input for both #1 and #2. That sounded good and I figured I'd get one Monday after the Xmas holiday.

Then I realized that one feature of having twin inputs to the receiver was being able to record more than just one - especially since I don't have a second TV.

I used the HughesNet dual coax (a mistake?) to run from both outputs on the DPP in through the window straight to inputs #1 and #2 on the receiver. I still couldn't get a signal tuned in, and "check switch" didn't seem to recognize the new configuration. We are talking less than 30 feet, so is line loss a factor?

I recall from somewhere that there is a Catch-22 at work here.....you can't get the onscreen signal meter to work properly unless the "check switch" function is working properly BUT the "check switch" function won't work properly unless it sees a valid signal. SHEESH! Of course, I did the hard off/on thing several times with the receiver, to no avail.

I would like to run two coaxes from the DPP LNB and don't mind doing some new "plumbing" in the RV for it if I can get increased versatility from the 522. All my coaxes were working fine before. I can run another resistance test on all of them again, I suppose.

Can I manually set anything on the "check switch?" Use regular (not satellite TV) coax? I really appreciate any help you can give me. I have just enough knowledge to be scary. ;)

P.S. I just LOVE the RANT smiley!

Okay so I assume you are using the DishPro Plus LNB at the Rv as well; so there are a few things:
1. If you are using the the DPP lnb on the RV, you only need one line plugged into port 1 of the lnb going to the input on the rv. Then once on the inside YOU DO NEED THE SEPARATOR because the 522/625 receivers need both connections(port 1 and 2 on the receiver) to check switch properly.
2. To get the best signal on 110/119, make sure the tripod is plum and your elevation/azimuth settings are correct. Check dishpointer dot com for that info depending on your area. The 110/119 are in the southwest (compass, hello) but I do advise a meter to find these sats if you are going to be moving the dish multiple times a year or even months.
3. You can clear it by running check switch without connections to clear it but it takes forever and does not help you find the signal...you need a meter if you are going to be doing this multiple times.
4. It is possible you might have fried the DPP. I'm not sure how but maybe too much current or an open ground in your RV? You might want to look at that or just your meter went out, I can't tell without looking at it myself.
5. Like I said the dual tuner receivers depend on BOTH INPUTS FROM THE LNB.
6. If I am correct, Hughesnet cable is not approved for dish network equipment. but that will not work if I am correct. If you are using the DPP you only need one line going to the receiver then USING THE SEPARATOR to both inputs.

Hope this info is useful...call back if you need any more info.

Success!

Thanks for your suggestions! I started from scratch and checked the volts DC output on both #1 and #2 on the back of the receiver. 13.3 - good so far.

I checked the HughesNet coax for resistance and everything was 0.00. Ran the coax out the window to bypass any possible internal wiring problems in the RV. Checked vDC again at the end of the coax before attaching them to the LNBs. Still 13.3! Attached the HughesNet dual coax (RG6, 75 ohm resistance, 3000 mHz) to the DPP #1 and #2 LNBs. Ran check switch, and the receiver actually recognized the change in configuration! Finally getting somewhere!

Then I double-checked the mast and discovered a "hit forehead with palm of hand" error. I had been reading the elevation from the center of the adjustment bolt, NOT the correct vertical flange. ( I am REALLY out of practice at this!) :eek:

I corrected the elevation and covered the 110 with the tinfoil "hat." I did remember to start the azimuth swing several degrees west of where I thought it should be. It was hard to be patient to stop the swing long enough to let the on-screen signal meter catch up, but I did.:angel: Five minutes later I had enough 119 signal to run another check switch and make slight adjustments to get 110. Yeehaa! :eureka

The receiver WAS putting out power to run my analog signal meter and the meter didn't still didn't work. Then the meter is toast, so I'll get another. Hey - it lasted 15 years. $13 is cheap enough......although it would be nice to have the dual analog signal meter for $75. :lick

I mentioned HD (high def) because the receiver kept switching to satellite 129 all by itself on the on-screen signal meter while I was trying to aim the dish. (I think 129 is HD?) I don't need HD.

Now all I need to do is rewire the RV for the dual coax. I won't need it for HughesNet any more. THAT is another tale of woe. :river I fixed THAT with a USB modem.

At least in my quest for satellite knowledge I learned more about "reverse corkscrew diplexing" than any noob should know! :cool:

Thanks again!

Jayne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)