Problems...Need advice...

Ghpr13

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've been having problems with my Hopper. Aside from very slow response time in changing screens, and more freeze ups since getting S212, I can't change the name of one of my folders, I recently moved all the movies I recorded to the folder named "No Folder", but after moving them, the folder would not allow me to change it's name. I hit the "Edit" button. Check the folder, bring down the edit menu, and click on "No Folder" and nothing happens...What am I missing?

Ghpr13:(

I've been having problems with my Hopper. Aside from very slow response time in changing screens, and more freeze ups since getting S212, I can't change the name of one of my folders, I recently moved all the movies I recorded to the folder named "No Folder", but after moving them, the folder would not allow me to change it's [sic] name. I hit the "Edit" button. Check the folder, bring down the edit menu, and click on "No Folder" and nothing happens...What am I missing?

"No Folder" isn't really a folder; it just means that the recording isn't in a folder. I created a folder on my second Hopper (I hadn't created any prior). I assigned a recording to that folder. Then I edited the recording again and chose "No Folder". I was able to save it without a problem (on S212).

I'm guessing you did a hard reset etc...

Yes, Tampa, I did...still having the same problems...I like the Hopper, but these "bugs" are starting to annoy me. It seem to me, IMO,
s212 has created more "bugs" then any other software download.

I've been having problems with my Hopper. Aside from very slow response time in changing screens, and more freeze ups since getting S212, I can't change the name of one of my folders, I recently moved all the movies I recorded to the folder named "No Folder", but after moving them, the folder would not allow me to change it's [sic] name. I hit the "Edit" button. Check the folder, bring down the edit menu, and click on "No Folder" and nothing happens...What am I missing?

"No Folder" isn't really a folder; it just means that the recording isn't in a folder. I created a folder on my second Hopper (I hadn't created any prior). I assigned a recording to that folder. Then I edited the recording again and chose "No Folder". I was able to save it without a problem (on S212).

Sorry, I was originally a little confused by your description. I see that you are trying to rename what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". But in your description you indicated after you hit the "Edit" button (I'm assuming you mean "Edit All") that you check the folder (I'm assuming you mean the one called "No Folder") and that you then 'bring down the edit menu (I'm assuming you mean the Edit Action menu), and click on "No Folder"'. How could you possibly click on "No Folder" at that point, as there is no option on the Edit Action menu for that? The only options are Move to Folder, Unprotect, Protect, Delete, and Rename.

I'm assuming that your actual last step is to click on Rename, and that you are trying to rename what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". Now I'm going to reiterate what I said before: "No Folder" isn't really a folder. Even if it was, it isn't one of your folders. It is a built-in special "thing". The reason I say it isn't a folder is that if you choose to view My Recordings by "No Folders", you will see everything regardless of what folder it is in. So if you then choose to view My Recordings by "My Folders" it shows you your folders and what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". As it is built-in (and not really a folder), you can't rename it.

Last edited:
The issue that I have with folders, is that if I move recordings into folders, they are still visible on the main recordings page. So, I don't get the point of crating the folders, and "moving" recordings into them, if it doesn't clean up the clutter of the main recordings page. It's as if nothing is moved, and only shortcuts are created in the folders. Or, they're moved, but shortcuts are left on the recordings page.

Sorry, I was originally a little confused by your description. I see that you are trying to rename what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". But in your description you indicated after you hit the "Edit" button (I'm assuming you mean "Edit All") that you check the folder (I'm assuming you mean the one called "No Folder") and that you then 'bring down the edit menu (I'm assuming you mean the Edit Action menu), and click on "No Folder"'. How could you possibly click on "No Folder" at that point, as there is no option on the Edit Action menu for that? The only options are Move to Folder, Unprotect, Protect, Delete, and Rename.

I'm assuming that your actual last step is to click on Rename, and that you are trying to rename what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". Now I'm going to reiterate what I said before: "No Folder" isn't really a folder. Even if it was, it isn't one of your folders. It is a built-in special "thing". The reason I say it isn't a folder is that if you choose to view My Recordings by "No Folders", you will see everything regardless of what folder it is in. So if you then choose to view My Recordings by "My Folders" it shows you your folders and what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". As it is built-in (and not really a folder), you can't rename it.

dontpanic,
Yes, you have it correct. I used the wrong term in my original post. I understand what you are saying now. That does make sense, though I think the "No Folder" it's unneeded and doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO. Personally, I find folder section on the Hopper much more cluttered than on my VIP722k.
Thanks for your reply!
Ghpr13:)

Havent played with the folders, but my Hopper was VERY slow last night. In changing pages in the guide it was so slow that it would take a few seconds after I pressed page down for the logos to show up in the guide on each page.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Havent played with the folders, but my Hopper was VERY slow last night. In changing pages in the guide it was so slow that it would take a few seconds after I pressed page down for the logos to show up in the guide on each page.

I had this also.. Was very slow to respond to a lot of the actions when navigating in DVR.

I personally have no use with folders at this time. I cannot stand how they overlay all the text on the icons for the shows inside folders. It looks so cluttered and hard to see elegant each show is quickly. They also fade the picture out a bit. I would use folders if they allowed the show icons to remain as they are in the "no folders" or PTAT area.

Why do all of the recorded shows still appear on the main page, if I've moved them to folders? I don't understand the logic behind that design.

If I go to the trouble of creating folders, and move a bunch of stuff there, it's because I want to get rid of them from the main page. It should be the same as on my PC desktop.

I don't like the way icons for the same TV shows are all separate instead of "stacking" all of the same shows under one icon, that when you click on, could spread open to show all the individual episodes of that program you have recorded. I think recorded shows were organized much better on the 722k, then on the Hopper.

I don't like the way icons for the same TV shows are all separate instead of "stacking" all of the same shows under one icon, that when you click on, could spread open to show all the individual episodes of that program you have recorded. I think recorded shows were organized much better on the 722k, then on the Hopper.

My Hopper does that. All episodes of a series are grouped in and accessed from a single series icon. That behavior I do like.

Why do all of the recorded shows still appear on the main page, if I've moved them to folders? I don't understand the logic behind that design.

If I go to the trouble of creating folders, and move a bunch of stuff there, it's because I want to get rid of them from the main page. It should be the same as on my PC desktop.

When in My Recordings move the focus to the Folders menu (or press the green button), then choose My Folders. It will then show you your custom folders and what appears to be a folder called "No Folder". That special folder will contain anything you haven't assigned to a folder. You can then go into any folder to see only what is in that folder. However, it won't "stack" the episodes of shows in that folder; it shows them all individually.

If you view My Recordings by Folders by Title or No Folders, you will see all of your recordings, regardless of what folder they're in.

My Hopper does that. All episodes of a series are grouped in and accessed from a single series icon. That behavior I do like.

It only does that if you choose Folders by Title. If you choose No Folders it will show each individual episode.

I have one that does this at least once a week. I do a hard reset to clear it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts