problems setting up system??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I got a replacement LNB arm for my GEOSATpro dish from SatelliteAV since the original was bent by the wind. The dish was not warped at all. It had survived being taken down and carried in the motorhome for 1100 miles. I tried to set up the system at an RV park, But I had some problems:(:
1} I forgot to bring the remote for my Mercury II.:eek:
2} I forgot to bring a leveling tripod. :eek:I had a level but why try to use it since I could not plumb the post.
3} I forgot to bring ANY RG6.:mad:
4} I forgot to bring a good compass.
5} The batteries in the GPS were dead and
6} I had less than 35 feet to stretch out the string -
7} that I forgot to bring anyway.
8} nothing here for good reference to due south....:confused:

It was 7:15 PM and the program we wanted to watch starts at 8:30. So as a FTA Satellite Guy I went to the RV office/store :eureka- after all they have cable TV here - NO stations I want. They had only RG59/u but they had that. So, I bought a 25 foot piece.

I had a dish base, good for an 18 in. pizza pan but I also had 2 clamps and a picnic table. I clamped the base to the picnic table -- way off plumb. I fastened the dish to the post. I had gone to the computer earlier and gotten the setting numbers from Glorystar forum links.:cool:

I eyeballed the Azmuth (I was off by at least 10 degrees) and set the Elevation to 4 degrees higher than what the markings were (from previous experience with this dish), connected the cable and turned the receiver on. Hmmm front panel has a menu button! :) I found I could get to the Antenna setup page and brought up G25 which is what I wanted! Swung back and forth - nothing. raised about a degree and swung again. Another degree and swung again. repeat, repeat what am I doing wrong??? :confused: But patience. Repeat, repeat Finally 11 degrees higher I got signal. about another 1/2 degree and it peaked. Tightened the bolts some and slightly tweaked then tightened again. I check my cell phone - watch. It was 7:42 PM. :hungry::eureka:

No, I am not an expert. But my post was not plumb, so I did not really expect to be on, the first time. The grin on my face was just as big as it was the first time I got a signal. We keep telling the first timers to go slow make small movements start low and bring up the elevation slightly and sweep slowly untill you get a signal, then tweak everything EXTREMELY slowly. OOOPS I forgot to recheck the skew, but I had set it to the list. so everything works. Yes It can be done. :D

I took a bunch of pictures - but I can not find the camera's download cable so I will post them as soon as I can. YES, I had duct tape - and used it to keep the cable out of the walkway - AND yes, I will (have to) do it all over again, tommorrow, because we have to move the motorhome to another spot! I hope I have LOS from the other spot, it looks iffy!

Forgive all the smilies, even at 64+ years I feel a little giddy!:eureka

POP

Pop you sounded like MacGyver on a mission! Man, could you have been plagued with any other problems! The first time I hit 10R K by eye-balling it put a smile on my face also! I lined up a stationary 90 CM my best guess and had 80 S & 78 Q out of the gate! Great story! Post those pictures I got to see the visual to this story! :)

After hearing all the problems others have setting up, I had to post this. I am not wanting to sound like bragging, because ALL I am doing is exactly as I was told the very first time. I think my only advantage is the Mercury II's easy set up menu AND the fact that when you chose and use the "strong Transponder" it stays on that transponder through the whole setup and does give immediate response to QUALITY as you adjust. The 2 or 3 other receivers I have used do not seem to do either! I will probably always used the Merc. to line up the dishes even if I go to other receivers for viewing.

It seems to me, and I have yet to try it, a motor should be not much harder to do, if you can use USLAS (or whatever that is) set the motor up as directed, move it to a strong bird with a strong transponder, leave the motor and adjust the dish ... If I understand, at all, what I have read. I may never try it since I have the space and the dishes for single satellite dedicated dishes - and the wind which can/will destroy motors!

After hearing all the problems others have setting up, I had to post this. I am not wanting to sound like bragging, because ALL I am doing is exactly as I was told the very first time.

Sure! Brag all you want! Just kidding, I think once you wrench around on these systems for awhile us FTAer's have a big advantage. Now you have the biggest advantage setting up all the time in RV Parks so that gives you the right to brag! I bet you could have done it without the menu on the receiver! Great job!

No noticeable issues using that cheap RG59/u? I guess with that short of a run you would not have noticed but very interesting though!

I bet you’re still giddy! 64+ years young Pop, YOUNG!

Great story!!

Still wanna see those pictures though!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts