Problems Splitting OTA Signal

quick

Original poster
May 25, 2005
I'm trying to split my signal coming from my antenna Channel Master 4228 antenna

I am about 30 miles to the antenna farm on the other side of the city (houston, texas)

Splitting one to my Directv HD Receiver Samsung TS360, and the other to my ATI HDTV Wonder. The signal is strong when i don't split it, no breakups on any channels etc.. But when split i get some signal breakups on the ATI HDTV Wonder card in the PC.

My antenna is on my Balcony (I live on the 3rd floor of an aparment) and the RG6 cable run to the two devices is about 50' max.

So I'm wondering what would be the best way to boost my signal, or to avoid signal loss, would a preamp be the best option and if so does anyone recommend a good one?

Also I'm trying to avoid putting a second antenna on there, cause they are big and the balcony is not exactly huge :p

Thanks,

quick

You could try a premap. Most people need every bit of OTA strength as it is. Look at the ChannelMaster line.
You could try a RadioShack because of the leiberal return policy also.

If you get a pre-amp, you'll also need a special splitter that will NOT pass the DC voltage on one side. A regular splitter won't work with a preamp. I haven't heard many good things about RS antenna preamps (they add too much noise), but it may work for you. Channel Master also make good pre-amps.

Make the split between the TV and the pre-amp power supply, then you don't need to worry about DC pass issues.

So hook it up like the diagram attached right?

I am going to use a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna and going to grab a Channel Master 7777 preamp, found one locally for $53 and 90 day return policy...

Attachments

• Split-OTA.gif
    Split-OTA.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 282
Your diagram is missing a piece. The CM pre-amp is a hard-cover dark gray box. It should be as close to the antenna down-lead connection as possible. Preferably within a few inches of the antenna's output balun.

On the other end is the CM pre-amp's power supply. A white plastic box with two coax connections and a power cord. It can be located anywhere down-stream of the pre-amp itself, but up-stream of your splitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)