Problems with 129?

A&E is not working (Transponder 27) while all the other HD channels ARE (including the VOOMs). So this must be an issue with the transponder or the channel. Also, Discovery HD Theatre looked REALLY pixelated. Anyone know what's up?

FYI: In July 2001, Echostar-5 experienced the loss of one of its three momentum wheels. Two momentum wheels are utilized during normal operations and the spare wheel was switched in at the time. A second momentum wheel experienced failed in December 2003. The spacecraft currently maintains position and orientation using thrusters. While this mode provides adequate performance, it results in an increase in fuel usage and a corresponding reduction of spacecraft life.

During August 2001, one of the thrusters on Echostar-5 experienced an anomalous event resulting in a temporary interruption of service.

In early 2001, two TWTAs failed and had to be replaced with spares. During the third quarter 2001, another TWTA experienced anomalous behavior and during September 2001 Echostar substituted that TWTA with a spare.

During 2000, 2001 and 2002, Echostar-5 experienced anomalies resulting in the loss of three solar array strings, and during January 2003, Echostar-5 experienced anomalies resulting in the loss of an additional solar array string.

During January 2003, Echostar-5 experienced a problem with the telemetry package that monitors other components onboard the spaceraft. Other methods of communication have been established to alleviate the effects of the failed component.

Ill give my D500 a check when I get home today and see what kinda signals I am getting from 129. 2 weeks ago I had 10pt fluctuations but nothing major.

Ive been gone all week so I dont know if its had issues or not.

It's astounding that an asset like E5, broadcasting the majority of Dish's HD content, can even hang up there in geo-sync orbit when it's obviously falling apart.

Evidently, nothing's been reported as having malfunctioned recently (not that we know about anyway). It's simply a piece of trash...

Anybody else having pixelation problems on ESPN2 HD? They have a dog show right now and there are no problems on the SD version. I have it on both the 211 and the 622. TP 30 is showing SS of 80-81 so I don't think that's the problem.

A&E-HD is its usual 4x3 SD upconverted self - i.e. no problems.

ESPN2-HD Drag Racing looks prefect - no pixelation.

Could just be that the problems have resolved themselves since they were reported.

PS A Winegard 30-inch dish that will take a Dish LNB is about $49...

It's astounding that an asset like E5, broadcasting the majority of Dish's HD content, can even hang up there in geo-sync orbit when it's obviously falling apart.

Evidently, nothing's been reported as having malfunctioned recently (not that we know about anyway). It's simply a piece of trash...

Well they are built to have lots of backup parts, and E5 is essentially running on backup systems. It could go out at any time, and I am sure Dish is not really happy about the situation, but does not have much it can do about it. A new satellite is being built, but it takes a long time to build and they are just going to have to hope that E5 stays together...

Well, what happenes if it dies? Is there a backup plan at all? They just can't leave all their HD subscribers hanging...

Well, what happenes if it dies? Is there a backup plan at all? They just can't leave all their HD subscribers hanging...

Well 129 tp 27 is.............
toast-copy-copy.jpg

Interesting... Those are the 3 channels I have the most problems with, even with my 24" dish repeaked for 129. However, I did manage to watch A Few Good Men on A&E yesterday with only two drop-outs occurring. DVR'd Stargate Atlantis this past Thursday, from UHD, no drop-outs. Watched Posieden on Cinemax HD Friday night with only 1 drop-out.

It's definitely not the most reliable tp, to be sure, but a 24" dish peaked at the high-end of the cycle most definitely helps.

Interesting... Those are the 3 channels I have the most problems with, even with my 24" dish repeaked for 129. However, I did manage to watch A Few Good Men on A&E yesterday with only two drop-outs occurring. DVR'd Stargate Atlantis this past Thursday, from UHD, no drop-outs. Watched Posieden on Cinemax HD Friday night with only 1 drop-out.

It's definitely not the most reliable tp, to be sure, but a 24" dish peaked at the high-end of the cycle most definitely helps.

As far as I'm concerned it's toast. It's wavering between 50 and zero at the moment and the "tech" they sent out would not repeak it cause he says "They don't peak on TP27". Dish is running their flagship HD programming on junk.

I do not understand why the majority of the drops seem to be in the afternoon, though.

I don't think it is necessary to peak on TP27, just get the best signal that you can on 129 on any transponder.

I am getting in the 70's on my 30-inch and I'm not that far from your location(s), so if you are getting a max of 50 on your 24-inch than there is something wrong (I don't remember any signal below 64 when I was using a 24-inch a few weeks ago).

Either it is not peaked correctly at 129, or perhaps you have some leaves/branches in the way? Remember that the dish does not point directly at the satellite. It's about halfway between the horizon and overhead, and then down a little.

PS Dish puts their flagship HD programming on 110 (DiscoveryHD,HD-Net,HBO-HD,SHO-HD).

I don't think it is necessary to peak on TP27, just get the best signal that you can on 129 on any transponder.

I am getting in the 70's on my 30-inch and I'm not that far from your location(s), so if you are getting a max of 50 on your 24-inch than there is something wrong (I don't remember any signal below 64 when I was using a 24-inch a few weeks ago).

Either it is not peaked correctly at 129, or perhaps you have some leaves/branches in the way? Remember that the dish does not point directly at the satellite. It's about halfway between the horizon and overhead, and then down a little.

PS Dish puts their flagship HD programming on 110 (DiscoveryHD,HD-Net,HBO-HD,SHO-HD).

I Think all HD programming, whether they are among our favorites or not, would be considered "Flagship"

There is a measly little branch up there on a California Laurel, locally known as a Myrtle, that could possibly cause a problem. Unfortunately it's a good 40' off the ground. But one would think if it was a branch it would affect all the transponders, not just 27. right?

Maybe I need to go to a 30" dish. I think I'll call an independent installer out after the 4th and get his opinion. There's a good one in Roseburg but it's gonna cost some $$$$.

It's more than irritating that the Tech that Dish sent would not climb up there, just called his boss and said it was the bird. I'm not comfortable working at the top of a 24' ladder. Apparently neither are a lot of dish techs.

Last edited:
I repeaked mine using TP 11 as my "test" TP and then, after getting as good as I could on 11, went through each one on the high end of the cycle and then on the low end of the cycle. On the high end of the cycle many of the TPs were in the upper 80s to low-mid 90s - a very pleasing sight. :) At the low-end of the cycle, mid-low 60s were the lowest numbers I saw and I'd have to say that I'm "content" with my ability to view HD now.

No, it's not perfect - I still get occasionally drop-outs - but at least (on most 94xx channels) I can watch entire or the vast majority of a movie or program and not suffer the dang 1-7 minute drop-outs every 20 minutes and 622 reboots.

Speaking of which, my 622 hasn't done a reboot or SBROD (screaming, black, reboot of death) since I repeaked that dish on 129. Another nice benefit of taking an hour and working with the dish... :)

Well I jammed my 24' ladder high into that Myrtle Tree and took my 18' pole saw and went up there and had at it for about an hour so it's safe to say that the branches are not the problem. The drops continue every 5 or so minutes but only on 129/27

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)