Problems with 129?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I am one of the people who normally have NO problems with 129, but today I noticed something strange. I recorded Kindergarten Cop for my son on Cinemax-HD, and when he was watching it he started complaining -- the picture is going away.

Sure enough intermittent signal loss. At first I thought that's strange. Blue sky, not a cloud to be seen. Why loss of signal. Then I paid closer attention - not only did the screen pixelate; it was bleeding in another channel (a FOX affiliate from Kansas City!) And then another channel (not sure what, but Montel was on). Since I live in Colorado, I realized that there was really nothing wrong my MY dish if I was getting a Kansas City feed.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Yes!!! since Sunday - same exact problem. I did get the usual barrage of lost signal error messages and then the Fox feed. I called tech support but that was a waste of time. 129 tp 27. According to Lyngsat, Fox K.C. is on 129 tp 1

Last edited:
My in-laws lost 129 last Thursday and only rarely have had a picture since. Dish is coming out tomorrow morning to inspect the original install and get it all right.

Ron

My in-laws lost 129 last Thursday and only rarely have had a picture since. Dish is coming out tomorrow morning to inspect the original install and get it all right.

Ron

That sounds like more of a problem with the local install.

129 has been fine for me other then the two times I have had this happen today and Sunday. Hoping its just a small hiccup from the bird.

That sounds like more of a problem with the local install.

129 has been fine for me other then the two times I have had this happen today and Sunday. Hoping its just a small hiccup from the bird.

What I have noticed is that this started around the first day of summer and occurs when the dish is in full light, the worst is 3-4 P.M. It may start earlier in the afternoon or late morning, though.The only tp that seems adversely affected is 27 which comes in around 15-20 points lower than tp 30.

I recorded a movie around 3:00 A.M. and it went without a hitch.

I have a 24" dedicated dish with a DP single LNB.

ON EDIT: It's 8:00 P.M. and the sun is pretty low and Cinemax HD is again gone so forget all the sun on the dish stuff!!

Last edited:
I too have been having 129 problems lately. First noticed it Sunday afternoon when I tried to watch a movie in CinemaxHD. Tp27 signal strength was only 48. But I have also lost Tp6 and one other one(don't remember which one). I haven't checked yet whether a tree is suddenly interfering (it doesn't seem to be blocking the LNB's but may be blocking the westernmost edge of my dish) or my alignment is off. Any kind of cloud cover now and I seem to lose everything except Tp30 and 31.

We have been having this problem in the Pacific Northwest for a while. Every 20-30 min the signal drops. Sometimes it drops low enough that you lose the lock on the TP you're watching (seen it mostly on 27 but also sometimes on 23). The box doesn't know what to do so it apparently latches TP1 (KC Locals) as a default until the signal returns on the TP you were watching. At least that's what appears to happen.

...not only did the screen pixelate; it was bleeding in another channel (a FOX affiliate from Kansas City!) And then another channel (not sure what, but Montel was on). Since I live in Colorado, I realized that there was really nothing wrong my MY dish if I was getting a Kansas City feed.

Anyone else seen this problem?
Way way back in the day when I was having problems with 105, I saw something very similar to this, documented in this post (click here).

For what it's worth... :)

Pick a reading

TP ---- 407pm ---- 408pm ---- 416pm ---- 418pm ---- 438pm

01 ----- 78 ---------- 61 ---------- 76 ---------- 60 ----------63
02 ----- 60 ---------- 52 ---------- 59 ---------- 52 ----------59
04 ----- 85 ---------- 80 ---------- 85 ---------- 82 ----------85
05 ----- 78 ---------- 73 ---------- 80 ---------- 74 ----------78
06 ----- 55 ---------- 47 ---------- 57 ---------- 51 ----------55
07 ----- 59 ---------- 51 ---------- 63 ---------- 54 ----------59
08 ----- 80 ---------- 76 ---------- 82 ---------- 78 ----------81
09 ----- 83 ---------- 82 ---------- 88 ---------- 82 ----------85
10 ----- 80 ---------- 63 ---------- 85 ---------- 77 ----------82
11 ----- 57 ---------- 55 ---------- 77 ---------- 55 ----------61
12 ----- 84 ---------- 83 ---------- 89 ---------- 83 ----------86
13 ----- 85 ---------- 85 ---------- 92 ---------- 85 ----------88
16 ----- 73 ---------- 75 ---------- 83 ---------- 75 ----------78
17 ----- 76 ---------- 79 ---------- 86 ---------- 79 ----------81
18 ----- 50 ---------- 54 ---------- 62 ---------- 53 ----------56
21 ----- 73 ---------- 78 ---------- 84 ---------- 75 ----------80
22 ----- 50 ---------- 58 ---------- 77 ---------- 55 ----------59
23 ----- 53 ---------- 64 ---------- 83 ---------- 60 ----------64
27 ----- 46 ---------- 59 ---------- 80 ---------- 55 ----------46
30 ----- 57 ---------- 82 ---------- 88 ---------- 77 ----------48
31 ----- 63 ---------- 92 ---------- 78 ---------- 87 ----------79
32 ----- 65 ---------- 77 ---------- 69 ---------- 73 ----------68

24" dish; low-noise LNV; 211 receiver; clear skies

I have ZERO reception from 129. HD, locals- it doesn't matter. Everytime I turn to a station that's on 129 it searches for signal.

I thought it was a leafy tree (HD added in Feb when there were no leaves). But I never had a local reception problem until now.

The higher channels- the Gaming Network, etc had intermittant problems, now it's all of them.

I called the installer. He said to unplug the 622 for an hour and then run the check switch again.

Last edited:
I'm a dish network installer,

Want a permenant fix for 129* SAT problems?

Get dish to mount a 61.5* additional sat location to get your HD channel line up, for one thing this will shoot your HD signal through the roof and you will rarely see it pixalate again and you will almost never lose it during bad weather. The dish 1000, and also dish 1000.2 has a low 129* signal.

(prob have to pay for it as it's not standard unless you don't have a LOS for 129*)

The 61.5* SAT location shoots more to the left at 158az.... and 43 Elevation. It would be a solo dish 500 with a single DP LNBF that would connect either to your current DPP Twin or a 34/44 switch. You would no longer need 129*! Shhhhhhhhhhh.. :)

Get dish to mount a 61.5* additional sat location to get your HD channel line up, for one thing this will shoot your HD signal through the roof and you will rarely see it pixalate again and you will almost never lose it during bad weather. The dish 1000, and also dish 1000.2 has a low 129* signal.

(prob have to pay for it as it's not standard unless you don't have a LOS for 129*)

The 61.5* SAT location shoots more to the left at 158az.... and 43 Elevation. It would be a solo dish 500 with a single DP LNBF that would connect either to your current DPP Twin or a 34/44 switch. You would no longer need 129*! Shhhhhhhhhhh.. :)

Nothing new in your post, we all know that 129 is a POS. We've been discussing the problems with 129 since it went up. The only two solutions are put a dish at 61.5 or get a 24'' or 30'' for 129.

I have ZERO reception from 129. HD, locals- it doesn't matter. Everytime I turn to a station that's on 129 it searches for signal.

I thought it was a leafy tree (HD added in Feb when there were no leaves). But I never had a local reception problem until now.

The higher channels- the Gaming Network, etc had intermittant problems, now it's all of them.

I called the installer. He said to unplug the 622 for an hour and then run the check switch again.

Now I have ZERO reception for 129. In fact, after I ran another check switch, my guide doesn't even have any local listings anymore.

I dunno..........can you nail this bird in the PNW??

fecho3r.gif

Since repeaking my 24" dish for 129 at the top of the cycle, I've had very few drop-outs on any programs I've been watching off 129. That was a little over 2 weeks ago now and 129 has been substantially more reliable than in the past 6-8 months prior to repeaking it (or when just using my D1000).

Since repeaking my 24" dish for 129 at the top of the cycle, I've had very few drop-outs on any programs I've been watching off 129. That was a little over 2 weeks ago now and 129 has been substantially more reliable than in the past 6-8 months prior to repeaking it (or when just using my D1000).

Same here with exception to 2 or 3 different monsoon type rains we've had in the last couple weeks. I can hold signal during a fairly heavy rain now with my 24" dish. I can understand losing it in the rains we got nailed with recently. We could barely see the street.

Anyone that's not afraid to tinker with there own install I highly recommend pull 129 off the 1000 and putting it on a separate dish.

I have an update. Dish sent a tech out and after viewing the bleed through to TP1 he called his boss who told him they were in fact having new problems with the bird and no fix in sight. there is another thread regarding additional programming on 129/27. Whether or not it is having an affect is beyond me.

While the tech was out here I tried to score a 3ghz grounding block but all he had was 1ghz and he told me that is what they (LinkUS) are using.

I bought a couple on the web though and they should be here by tomorrow.

It's absurd that rather tell their Tech Support call in people the bird is f*%#ed. they send someone out instead.