Problems with 2 receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

morris54

Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I have had a Tivo DVR with Directv for several months and it worked great, getting local channels and basic service with an oval, 3 horn dish. I recently hooked up my original receiver, a Hughes basic unit. The installation has a line directly from one of the 4 connections on the dish to each receiver with no splitters or diplexes. When I hooked up the Hughes, lost every channel except 234, a shopping channel on the DVR unit. Then a short time later, all the channels came in on the DVR, except the locals were out if the Hughes was tuned to the local channels also. If the Hughes was turned to the other channels, the locals came in on the DVR. But overnight, all the channels on the DVR went out except for 234 again.
I had never run a 2nd line to the DVR for full capability, and when I did and hooked it up, all channels went out, except for you guessed it, 234!
This is driving me nuts, and an install guy is coming out again in a few days--any ideas in the mean time? Thanks guys for any help, I am new on this board, you all seem very helpful. Marshall

Disconnect the feeds from the dish to the Tivo at the Tivo. Fire up the Hughes and measure the voltage at either of the Tivo feeds. You shouldn't have any. Hughes IRD may be pushing to much voltage and/or the integrated LNB/Switch is faulty for allowing the voltage to pass.

No voltage

Checked the two cables at the DVR and no voltage. The latest update is I hooked the newer of the two cables to the DVR by itself in Satellite 1 and both receivers are working fine--for now after several minutes. The original cable is the one in the box of the install kit from Directv. Could this be a faulty cable issue? Further update tomorrow.

Welcome to Satelliteguys morris54. We are glad you are here! I have moved this thread to the DirecTV forum so it can get more exposure.

Check your software version. Forgot all about the latest SNAFU from DirecTV with revision "3.1.1d" behaving as you have described. They have released revision "3.1.1e" which fixes this. The timing of your changes, while suspicious, may only be happenstance if your Tivo software is suspect.

Check: here for more info

Thanks to this board--I'm Fixed!

Everything was working with my system finally except for the 2nd tuner of the Tivo--it was only picking up some of the channels and no locals. I was talking to 2nd level support at Directv and the tech had come to the conclusion that the receiver was bad and I asked her about the software, telling her that I had the "d" version. She had to consult with someone, and came back to the phone saying I needed a download to get the "e". Made the receiver make the call and all the channels except the local came in, and
after the 2 am restart, everything has been working fine. Thanks again for this great resource!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts