problems with 222 reciever

cuda74360

Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I got upgraded to the 222 receiver yesterday. The tech who came out to my house added a second DISH 500 pointed to 61.5, replaced the LNB of my existing DISH 500 with a DPP Twin, and used my existing cable to connect the receiver (using a DPP seperator). I had an extra HDMI cable and we used that to connect the receiver to the TV.

First impressions:

- picture quality is MUCH better, even on SD channels (vs my old 301 using s-video)
- sound is better

Problems:

- audio losing sync with video (happened twice now, one on Monsters HD and the other on TLC HD) - changing to another channel then back fixes the problem
- video "skips" and is jerky sometimes -- does this mostly on HD channels, but on SD channels as well, intermittent -- this did not happen with my old 301, and I do not see any tiling when this happens so I don't think its lack of signal causing this

I tried to hookup the receiver using component cables to see if the problems persisted, and while the picture worked I got a buzzing sound from the audio.

Is anyone else having similar problems, or did I just get a bad receiver?

Thanks!

Audio sync

I got upgraded to the 222 receiver yesterday. The tech who came out to my house added a second DISH 500 pointed to 61.5, replaced the LNB of my existing DISH 500 with a DPP Twin, and used my existing cable to connect the receiver (using a DPP seperator). I had an extra HDMI cable and we used that to connect the receiver to the TV.

First impressions:

- picture quality is MUCH better, even on SD channels (vs my old 301 using s-video)
- sound is better

Problems:

- audio losing sync with video (happened twice now, one on Monsters HD and the other on TLC HD) - changing to another channel then back fixes the problem
- video "skips" and is jerky sometimes -- does this mostly on HD channels, but on SD channels as well, intermittent -- this did not happen with my old 301, and I do not see any tiling when this happens so I don't think its lack of signal causing this

I tried to hookup the receiver using component cables to see if the problems persisted, and while the picture worked I got a buzzing sound from the audio.

Is anyone else having similar problems, or did I just get a bad receiver?

Thanks!

As far as the audio sync being off if the 222 menu is the same as the 622. Here are the menu steps to help. Menu. # 6 (system setup), #1 (Installation), # & (TV1 Audio Sync), & Choose shich output you would like your audio syncronized to: High Definition.

cuda74360;1033518 - video "skips" and is jerky sometimes ![/QUOTE said:
I am having this issue on all Voom movie channels, but have not noticed it on any sd channels, I am also having other issues, repeated freezing video, snow screens, black screens, I am repeatedly rebooting, when I get rain fade it will go to searching for sat signal which is normal, then it locks up requiring an unplug, On Friday I called tech support, they are sending a replacement, should be here today

Bob

Im having the same issues with my vip222, call tech support they said its a softwear issue and there getting alot of call,its not a hardware issue,so we all have to wait on a software update. PS by sending in your new vip222 its not going to help the issue at all so hold tight everyone, you might get a another problem with a new one ,you know dishs software.

When I spoke with tech support I was told that they were having these issues with a "few" receivers, software issue was never mentioned and here was no hesitation on sending a replacement, never even tried to walk me through the usual, reboot, unplug, etc

Bob

well when you get your new recever it will be the same thing, im on my forth one same problems as far as tech support most of them are idots, second this recever just been released in july 07,third there are not many people with this recever yet, more 622/722 out there, softwear is the issue here only, L301 has bugs just like the 622 when i first got it same problems you advised us of, just hang in there they will fix it some day with a update,Gentleman i think we need to start a thread on vip222 bug report, Hey scott any answer on update or info why people are having problems with vip222, i do want to say that when the recever is working right the pic is much cleaner and shaper then my vip 622 this recever is a winner in my book with out a dvr. dont worry your self sick

I guess I was comparing it to my 211, except it has an additional tuner, and the 211 has been flawless and was expecting the same quality.
Several weeks back I posted basically the same thing I posted above regarding the bugs in my 222 and since no one responded I though it was just my receiver.
When I get my replacement installed I will post back and report if the problems exist or have gone away

I upgraded from an 811 HD only package August 20th. I have a D500 at 110 &119. Have a D500 that was at 61.5 for voom. Dish came out and installed the VIP 222 new lnb's and re-aimed the 61.5 to 129. From that point on I experienced numerous freeze ups, mostly on Voom and repeated "acquiring Sat signal" type of reboots, although the rec. didn't shut down. It got so bad Sunday morning I couldn't use it. Later in the day it worked much better. If either tuner was on a Voom at 129 I had problems. I called tech support and they sent out technician who thought it was the receiver. He replaced it and we still had jerky and freezing video, again mostly on 129. He replace both lnb's re-aimed 129 dish which improved signal level by almost 20 points on the on screen level meter and also replaced 2 cable ends outdoors. Currently the performance is much better. The only problems I get are some lip sync at times on NTGEO, HIST ABC local and some Vooms at times. Some jerky movement only on the Voom channels but no rebooting anymore. This is long but hopefully helpful to someone else having problems. The Voom jerky's are not signal issues as my 129 has good levels. Since he replaced so many items at the same time it would be a guess as to which part or parts were most at fault. This is a great receiver as it does what I want with a decent picture. I do wonder if Dish is having problems with Voom or if there is a software issue yet with the 222. Now have A250 HD package.

software problems,and your problem makes it worse put wing dish back to 61.5 if you can that will limit the problem slighty,but is a sofeware related problem L301 i have the same freze up and jerky pic on voom also ,like i said before replace four already same crap we need a sofwear update period!

I agree with Bill about 61.5, but at even at 61.5 I am having the issues that Nick had especially with Voom, The Voom issue has to be with the 222, my 211 never hiccups on Voom
Well this morning I activated my replacement 222 and so far I have not seen the problems I was having, but it is probably to soon to tell. On of my major issues was involving rain signal fade, we had been a lot of heavy rain and every time the receiver went to searching for sat signal which is normal, the receiver would freeze and have to be rebooted, looks like more heavy rain is coming ths way from the disturbance over Florida, wonder if the lock up problem will return.
Bob

I am now of the opinion given the reports from you other owners of the 222 as well as my own experiences that the jerky video and the freeze reboot issues are fixable with software. I haven't as yet but will report my problems to dish. I would think they are aware, but it won't hurt to give them my symptoms. I am in Arizona so rain isn't a problem with me but Gentleman, based on my experiences, you will probably have to reboot when the storms come as this receiver seems to be prone to freezes when there are signal issues.

see gentleman your right only a few people, not the recever,because only a few people own/lease the vip222, let me tell you guy my setup i have vip622 with no problems except for lnb drift on 61.5 only on that recever all other rec vip222/625 report good after.the lnb drift is a way to get a service call for 49.00 or a jerk off tech to come out and mess with dish algment or your lnb to cause more problems.its just funny on other rec there is no lnb drift why is that because, i say it again softwear is the biggest problem dish has had in the past and in the futher, 625 with one issue when it goes into sleep mode when turn on again it go too looking for sats that started when they updated the software ver but everything works great after it starts up. now kind of dishes i use, i have three very large dishes all with dp duals on them and dpp44 switch my signal on 119/110 /61.5 are well over 100% all the time even when it rain hard real hard,so no rain fade here and my vip222 has all the same problems you all have. i live in south fla,but the dishes are an eye sore,but who cares better signal all the time.ps to everyone that owns a vip 622/722/222 some of the software is good but most of the time it sucks ass,there are some smart people here that can write software better then dishes crew of jerkoffs, that is really the only problems i have with dish

I'm having the same picture freezing and breaking up probs on my VOOM channels with the VIP 222 as well in perfectly calm weather...aren't we paying these greedy bastards too much $$$ a month to put up with this crap? I take it, it doesn't do any good to call and complain....???

From my experience replacing the receiver does not solve anything, all replacements have the same issues, until they get off their rears and upgade the software these problems will continue, and Dish does not appear to be in a hurry or have any concerns that the 222 so far is a piece of crap.
A email I sent to ceo was a waste of time

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts