Problems with DP301 and Legacy LNBs

Christopherve7alb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Victoria BC
Having some problems setting up a DP301 receiver with a legacy dish.

I'm currently trying to setup a basic Dish network system (dish500, legacy twin LNBs, DP301 receiver) to use with the basic Dish network welcome channel package and am having a few problems setting up the dish. I am using an old dish 500 with the two twin LNBs as I don't need any HD programming or have any need for additional receivers at this time. I have aimed the dish 500 at the 119W and 110W satellites (verified on a separate receiver). However, I am unable to receive anything on the DP301 receiver; when I connect an output from the 119 LNB directly to the receiver the only message I get in the “point dish” screen is "wrong satellite" and signal strength of 117%. I have verified that the dish is aimed at 119W by connecting the dish to an FTA receiver (I also have a legitimate FTA setup, no piracy here). I have also run numerous “check switches” to no avail.

Just wanted to confirm that the legacy LNBs will work with the DP301 receiver?

Have you confirmed that the 301 is a working receiver? Do you have Legacy TWINS or is it 2 dual Legacy LNBs? If it is actually 2 dual LNBs you will need an SW21 switch, the switch is built into a TWIN.

The receiver most likely needs a sw update. The only way to do this on a dp301 is power the receiver down to a snowy screen and wait. Since you have already ran a check switch test it should only take a minute or two till you see, vital information is being downloaded, after that is finished it will reboot and work normally

Thanks for the replies; I have two dual legacy LNBs, I do have an SW21. I have tried running the check switch with and without the SW21 connected. The receiver does detect the SW21 when it is connected, however doesn't find any active satellites.

I will try leaving the receiver turned off but connected to the dish and power for a few hours and see if it upgrades the firmware.

301 receivers are no longer supported by Dish and are next to unusable. You can not add one to an acct. You might be able to get it exchanged/upgraded to a 311 at no charge. I would call Dish about it.

301 receivers WILL NOT be activated anymore and most are being systematically shut down, besides the fact that any Legacy equipment you have probably has LNB drift and won't work correctly anymore anyways.

So my question is: Why? Where did this equipment suddenly come from?

So my question is: Why? Where did this equipment suddenly come from?

The reciever is one I purchased locally from Craigslist, The dish is one I've had in storage for a few years now. Sounds like I made a bad call purchasing the receiver and have definitely learned my lesson about doing research in the future. Thanks for all the responses guys and I'll stop throwing more time into trying to get this receiver up and running.