VIP622 HDD Fauilure

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
I am out of contract and they were going to mail me a new receiver and it was oging to take a week. In Atlanta. What? Then they were going to have someone come out and it would be Sunday. The mention of DirecTv and Comcast made it tomorrow AM. This just makes me want to not get a Hopper, they seem to treat customers as second class citizens. Bet my first opening for a new install would be well before a week.

I think this is my second 622. 3-4 years old. Might be my 3rd though. I was kinda disappointed to hear I am getting another, not a newer technology receiver with similar features.

Anyway, after a couple of pulling the plugs and holding the power button in I got a 527 message and then finally got a picture with no DVR function at all. Man has this technology spoiled us. Anyway, took an hour for it to get to where we can watch TV, the green light would come on for a few seconds and go off during that time and it would restart. I got picture in a picture too.

The phone support said I could talk with the guy in the am about a different receiver, but I am not signing a 2 year. Not after the way I was yanked around. My bill is $150/month, its not like I have basic. Dish has me hooked with Epix although they now have an agreement with Amazon. But I so want ESPNU HD.

How do you think you are getting yanked around? They ALWAYS quote delivery time longer than actual. Don't know why you think you can upgrade without new contract.

I consider being yanked around any time I call someone I play thousands a year to and have to threaten to drop them before getting the true first available appointment. I was never put on hold and the rep told me, "I talked to my boss about it and we can get someone there tomorrow AM". Sure you did.

If anything i would think a newer model with the same features, hopefully more reliable, and in the long run would cost them less money. I was assured I was getting a new 622. I doubt it, would bet on it being refurbished. And I expect them to be out to replace it in 2-3 years, just like the last two. Upgrade being it doesn't need to be replaced as often, with the same feature set? Not to me.

You will absolutely get a refurb. 622 ceased production years ago. Want latest and greatest. Get a Hopper...and sign a new contract.

If Disney and Dish kiss and make up and we get ESPNU HD and WatchESPN access I might. Otherwise I am not missing anything and was told my bill would go up with one plus I'd lose five 1.5TB EDDs full of movies, many are HD movies not available on Blu-ray, that took years to accumulate. Don't need that.

If Disney and Dish kiss and make up and we get ESPNU HD and WatchESPN access I might. Otherwise I am not missing anything and was told my bill would go up with one plus I'd lose five 1.5TB EDDs full of movies, many are HD movies not available on Blu-ray, that took years to accumulate. Don't need that.
Anything recorded on 622/EHD will play on Hopper.

Actually having an issue with the EDD not being recognized. Did an unplug and hoping it will show up. Before that, powered down the EDD and when I did that it said a USB device was disconnected. Never noticed when it was plugged back in. And in the the My Media section, no device connected. Hoping this reboot fixes it.

EDIT: Reboot fixed it.

EDIT: The OTA receiver is better, the 622 would drop out in the 70s, this one doesn't, actually holds a signal down to 60 before cutting out.

Last edited:
Looks like I will have to replace this 722. A couple times since Friday its rebooted coming out of standby. Now, Level 1 support says that is not a known issue. I trust posts here over them. What happened was in was in Standby, I pushed power on the remote, the HDD spun up, no lights on the front initially, then the green light came on, went off, blank screen and eventually got Acquiring Signal bar graphic after a couple of minutes, didn't redownload the guide though. The old 622 was doing something similar before the HDD crashed.

I've had this problem with my 722K several times. A red button reboot usually solves this issue. It happens every few months or so. Not often enough to ask for a replacement. Out of curiosity, have you checked the HDD temps?

I've had this problem with my 722K several times. A red button reboot usually solves this issue. It happens every few months or so. Not often enough to ask for a replacement. Out of curiosity, have you checked the HDD temps?

How do you check the HDD temp? And what do you mean by red button reboot? Thanks

And what do you mean by red button reboot? Thanks
On the front panel, open the door and then press and hold the red button until the receiver reboots. Your HDD temps are very good. If the average temp gets above 120, then the receiver can start to act flaky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)