VIP622 HDD Fauilure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think the 622 does not have a red button. The red button reboot is on the Hopper. On the 622 press and hold the Power button. Or do a plug reboot.

I consider being yanked around any time I call someone I play thousands a year to and have to threaten to drop them before getting the true first available appointment. I was never put on hold and the rep told me, "I talked to my boss about it and we can get someone there tomorrow AM". Sure you did.

If anything i would think a newer model with the same features, hopefully more reliable, and in the long run would cost them less money. I was assured I was getting a new 622. I doubt it, would bet on it being refurbished. And I expect them to be out to replace it in 2-3 years, just like the last two. Upgrade being it doesn't need to be replaced as often, with the same feature set? Not to me.
There is really no such thing as a newer model except the Hopper. The 722 is just the same unit w/ a 500 Gb HDD. The 722k is almost the same as the 722 only difference is it has to have an OTA module inserted to receiver any OTA channels. None of the models are produced any more so it would have to be refurbs just like you are having install. It is quite possible that they did ask their boss either via chat or muting their mic and pointing out the conversation on the PC. Then super gave the retention department approval for a date that seemed to be earlier. If they were shipping the unit to you then it would have to be received by you before the tech would come out. When they set the newer date and sending out the tech w/ a unit they looked up a list showing the Dish dealers in the area w/ equip. BTW the Hopper install is completely different than the 622. They have to run 2 line from the LNB set up to something called a node then run a line from that to the DVR. So that is one of the reasons that it needs a tech and you would also have to get a USB OTA module to get your local channels OTA. So the technology is totally and completely different than anything you have. They will not let anyone do a self install w/o purchase of the Hopper and all parts separately. I know as I have tried and I have been an electronics engineer for around 40 years. I understand your frustration but it is slightly misplaced.

On the front panel, open the door and then press and hold the red button until the receiver reboots. Your HDD temps are very good. If the average temp gets above 120, then the receiver can start to act flaky.

There is no red button reboot on a standard 722. It started being put on the 722k and the Hoppers. The K is a completely different model to the 622/722.

On 722k and later, simply press the red button to reboot. On the older receivers, press and hold the power button until it reboots.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Its doing it every single time coming out of stand bye now. I've actually noticed the sequence. Whirr of the HDD, both green and Mode lights on. Then the mode light goes out and then the green light goes out and it appears to reboot.

And thanks for all the responses from everyone. This is one of the nicest forums I've been on since going online almost 20 years ago.

Today a contractor came out and now I have a 722K. So now I have to buy an MT2 OTA module. The tech didn't have one. He gave me his number and told me to call him for the next 2 months otherwise Dish will charge him for this visit even if its an equipment issue.

I have the second best Panasonic plasma from last year and no guide. Plus I can't use the DVR functions for football games...OTA looks better and can't DVR Svengoolie. So got to get the OTA module.

Today a contractor came out and now I have a 722K. So now I have to buy an MT2 OTA module. The tech didn't have one. He gave me his number and told me to call him for the next 2 months otherwise Dish will charge him for this visit even if its an equipment issue.

I have the second best Panasonic plasma from last year and no guide. Plus I can't use the DVR functions for football games...OTA looks better and can't DVR Svengoolie. So got to get the OTA module.

Shop ebay I've seen them for less than $5 for 722K/222K.

I just went back and cancelled it. If ESPN is dropped in 2 days, probably going to Comcast. Ironic.
ESPN and the Disney channels should be on at least through 9/30/13.
Call Dish back and try to get a free MT2 module. Try going through DIRT. You had OTA with the 622 and 722.

I would have done a hard reset (unplug for 30 seconds) if possible. That will completely stop the hard drive from running and reset instead of just restarting the receiver.

Power cord reboot also clears all the capacitors and diodes in the system for a cleaner reboot.

What the guy said that came and did this last replacement was that when I said that I could hear the HD spin up on coming out of standby, to him that was a bad sign and immediately he just replaced it. And the 622 was doing that the last few months before getting the HDD failure message. He said that if he came out, rebooted it and it seemed ok, if I had an issue in the next 2 months, Dish would take money from him since he did not fix the problem, even if its equipment related. He said he gets money taken even if something else happens so he gave me his number to call for the next 2 months.

I would agree that if you are hearing the hard drive, you have a problem with the hard drive and will soon lose the hard drive. But are you sure you are not just hearing the cooling fan? During a reboot, the cooling fan speeds up and can be easily heard.

I would agree that if you are hearing the hard drive, you have a problem with the hard drive and will soon lose the hard drive. But are you sure you are not just hearing the cooling fan? During a reboot, the cooling fan speeds up and can be easily heard.

That is possible.

In regards to the OTA module, its $42 with standard shipping on Amazon. I didn't see any super cheap in eBay. I called Dish and they said its $50 but they would split the cost in half and include expedited shipping. So, I saved $17 and a couple days by calling Dish so thanks for suggestion boba.

I've been reading your thread about VIP622 w/OTA modual. Maybe you know if the 622 can be replaced with the Hopper or Genie and have the OTA in the Guide like we have with VIP622. Hope I didn't hijack your thread . I have one room with a HDMI HD Vizio and Sharp 12000 that needs component out at the same time ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)