Procedures for adding a third antenna for HD reception

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grafxman

Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Hi folks,

It looks like we have HD locals so I will need to get the HD DVR. I currently have a 24" dish pointed at the 101 sat and an 18" dish pointed at the 119 sat for my locals. I use an Eagle Aspen D-4140-GX 5 input 4 output multiplex switch to feed my 3 satellite receivers.

Will I need any particular antenna/lnb on the third antenna? Am I correct in assuming I can just point it at the 110 sat then use the appropriate multiswitch or is there more to it than that? I would like to keep my 3 existing receivers.

Thanks a lot.
Roger

Hi folks,

It looks like we have HD locals so I will need to get the HD DVR. I currently have a 24" dish pointed at the 101 sat and an 18" dish pointed at the 119 sat for my locals. I use an Eagle Aspen D-4140-GX 5 input 4 output multiplex switch to feed my 3 satellite receivers.

Will I need any particular antenna/lnb on the third antenna? Am I correct in assuming I can just point it at the 110 sat then use the appropriate multiswitch or is there more to it than that? I would like to keep my 3 existing receivers.

Thanks a lot.
Roger

You will need to get a 5 LNB dish (Slimline aka AU-9) which will replace your two existing dishes. The HD locals are on the 99 and 103 satellites (national HD channels are on 110 and 119). The Slimline has 4 outputs and the HR20 requires two cables, so will need a WB68 multiswitch. Directv will supply and install the dish and multiswitch at no extra cost.

Hi folks,

Thanks a lot.
Roger

If you mean the mpeg4 locals, besides mpeg4 capable STBs (you never mention what kind of receivers you have now), you will need the AT9 dish, if you need to drive more than 4 tuners, you will need to replace your switch with a WB68 switch (it requires this switch as it has the required freq. capacity).

The sat your locals are on would depend on your location, but 101/110/119 alone is unlikely to give you what you want (again this depends on your area, and the programming you want (which you never mention either)).

Contact D*, they will provide you the equipment you need.

(The following sat info was from charper1, and may be out of date)

72.5DEGW DirecTV 1: Carries locals from smaller market towns and would be a 2nd dish in addition to the main dish for core programming. It would be of no concern depending on your area zip code.

95.0DEGW Galaxy 3C: DirecTV international programming, will also be an additional dish outside of the core programming.

99.2DEGW Spaceway 2: HD LIL and RSN depending on your metro area (zip code) and requires the AT9 dish and MPEG4 receiver.

101.0DEGW DirecTV 1R/4S/8: This is the main satellite / all the core programming, some HD and some LIL. Can be seen with a standard dish, PhaseIII or AT9 dish.

102.8DEGW Spaceway 1: HD LIL and RSN depending on your metro area (zip code) and requires the AT9 dish and MPEG4 receiver.

109.8DEGW DirecTV 5: HD programming. Can be seen with the PhaseIII or the AT9 dish.

119.0DEGW DirecTV 7S: Some LIL, some HD, some international. Can be seen with a PhaseIII or AT9 dish.

Last edited:
You will need to get a 5 LNB dish (Slimline aka AU-9) which will replace your two existing dishes. The HD locals are on the 99 and 103 satellites (national HD channels are on 110 and 119). The Slimline has 4 outputs and the HR20 requires two cables, so will need a WB68 multiswitch. Directv will supply and install the dish and multiswitch at no extra cost.

Bob, thanks for your quick reply. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have a tree problem which is why I have 2 seperate antennas. I think it's unlikely one antenna will be able to see all the satellites Direct TV has available. I have always done my own installation which includes Dish Network, Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice.

So I guess you're telling me that the 5 lnb dish with factory install is the only choice I have? I will still be able to use my existing Sony A65, RCA DRD485RG and Samsung receivers in addition to perhaps 2 HD DVRs?

Thanks,
Roger

So I guess you're telling me that the 5 lnb dish with factory install is the only choice I have? I will still be able to use my existing Sony A65, RCA DRD485RG and Samsung receivers in addition to perhaps 2 HD DVRs?

Thanks,
Roger

Sorry, let me clarify, You can buy the AT9 dish and WB68 on your own of course, but D* should/would provide them free if you go through them.

As for your older receivers, you will be able to continue to use those to view legacy mpeg2 streams, however, you will _not_ be able to watch any mpeg4 streams, local or national, you will need the H20 or HR20 (which you can also buy on your own if you wanted) for that.

In addition, your situation with requiring 2 dishes may cause you some trouble with the WB68, as I am pretty sure they don't have the required flexport (or do they?, anyone?), and if you use diplexing, you have yet another hurdle.

Sorry, let me clarify, You can buy the AT9 dish and WB68 on your own of course, but D* should/would provide them free if you go through them.

As for your older receivers, you will be able to continue to use those to view legacy mpeg2 streams, however, you will _not_ be able to watch any mpeg4 streams, local or national, you will need the H20 or HR20 (which you can also buy on your own if you wanted) for that.

In addition, your situation with requiring 2 dishes may cause you some trouble with the WB68, as I am pretty sure they don't have the required flexport (or do they?, anyone?), and if you use diplexing, you have yet another hurdle.

My 3 current receivers can look at the 3 satellites available when they were made, the 101, 110 and 119 sats. I don't know what flexporting and diplexing are. So anyway, let me make sure I've got this straight. I mount the 5 lnb dish to receive the 5 sats. I use the WB68 multiplex switch and I can then hook up 2 HD DVRs and my existing 3 receivers. I will then be able to receive my HD locals and my locals that are not HD. I will also be able to receive all the various HBO, Showtime, NFL ticket, etc. in HD. Have I got things straight now?

Thanks,
Roger

So anyway, let me make sure I've got this straight. I mount the 5 lnb dish to receive the 5 sats. I use the WB68 multiplex switch and I can then hook up 2 HD DVRs and my existing 3 receivers. I will then be able to receive my HD locals and my locals that are not HD. I will also be able to receive all the various HBO, Showtime, NFL ticket, etc. in HD. Have I got things straight now?

Thanks,
Roger

Yes. :)

Hi folks,

Thanks a lot.
Roger

I was wondering the same thing since I seem to have a tree in the way of the 119. Is there a way to point a dish at 119 and somehow combine the signal coming from the Slimline?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)