Prof 7301, linux, and lock ups

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jowski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
the can
I installed my Prof 7301 into my linux Slackware64, 2.6.29.6 kernel, with the s2-liplianin-b663b38d616f.tar.gz module code. First, the card isn't being recognized by the kernel (nothing in 'dmesg' indicating the 7301 is being seen). Second, when I go into X-Windows, the machine locks up and requires a reset.

I've removed the 7301 for now but would like to get it running. Does anyone have a working set of udev rules they'd like to share? Which modules need to be installed? What are the module dependencies? Finally, is the code in the tar.gz package 32 bit?

Thanks,
Jim

I'm running on s2-liplianin-77a5248e92b5 under 2.6.28 on Gentoo, but it's a custom kernel with lots of specifics to the hardware that I'm using across all my Linux systems. On the surface it sounds like you're missing some kernel options necessary for DVB, but I have no experience of what is in Slackware by default. If you're not getting any dmesg notices on the 7301, that's a very basic failure. I'm sure you will find more help in Linux forums than here.

The X-Windows lockup likely has nothing to do with the 7301, but may indicate you are missing other pieces and/or have incompatible video drivers for your hardware. I'm running my 7301 and 7500 on a 64-bit OS, but it should work fine with 32-bit.

The X-Windows lockup surprised me, especially when it went away when the card was removed. The Slackware kernels are pretty lean and everything is modules. Which DVB modules did you compile into your kernel? I suppose loading i2c might help but the DVB module has to come first if I remember correctly. Maybe once that's taken care of, the lockup problem will go away. I can work in the terminal mode to do the loading and after figuring it out, rc.local will be my friend.

By the way, great work on the blind scanning! I think you're the first one to accomplish it on a PC card and we all owe you a debt of gratitude for that.

Thanks for the reply,
Jim

20 minutes after this post I found the Prof 7301 in CARDLIST.cx88 which is a start. /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep just happens to have the cx88 family listed so I think I'll try reinstalling the card and see what happens with a 'modprobe cx88'.

Last edited:
Update:

3 hours later and I downloaded and compiled s2-liplianin-3625cf4fb1d6.tar.gz, installed everything, and success. The kernel automagically recognized the cx88 card as a Prof 7301 and loaded all the modules it needed without any help from me. The lockup problem also went away so I'm guessing there was a conflict that loading the proper drivers fixed. Next is some testing using the crude video4linux utilities.

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)