Program Guide for 922, Tree in the way

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zaxxon

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Dinwiddie VA USA
Just came up with a new problem this spring, I got a tree in the way of my dish. The tree blocks G1, I'm OK above G1, receive excellent singles

Just happened since the leaves came on the tree. Guess I will have to cut it down.

Is it possible to receive the program guide on another satellite other than G1 with a 922????????

Just came up with a new problem this spring, I got a tree in the way of my dish. The tree blocks G1, I'm OK above G1, receive excellent singles

Just happened since the leaves came on the tree. Guess I will have to cut it down.

Is it possible to receive the program guide on another satellite other than G1 with a 922????????

People with 4DTVs probably know better, but I thought the guides were on more than one sat, but that it was the channel maps that were only on G1. Perhaps I got that backward.

But back to the tree, is it the top of the tree that's blocking you, or just certain branches? If it's lower on the tree, and removing certain branches would give you a view, I've had pretty good success with those rope saws, that you throw over a branch, and cut the branch by pulling on the rope. The saws only come with enough rope to reach a branch 20 or so feet up, but I've just added rope, and I've been able to get up at least to 40', and higher. I've cut branches with at least 8 inch diameters, however with a big branch, it takes a bit of practice, and you have to be prepared to get out of the way, because they come down fast when they let go. I've tried cutting from the side, so that I wasn't underneath, but that doesn't work well, as the chain will usually jam, and then you are REALLY stuck.
But I've cleared all sorts of holes through the trees to receive selective sats. I usually set up a fishing rod on a pole mount, and use a sling shot to throw a line over the branch, then pull up the rope with the fishing line. Like I said, it takes a bit of practice, so I'd practice on low branches that you can reach, in case the saw binds when the branch starts to bend.

You can get authorization hits/re-hits on any satellite with a DCII stream except G3. Program guide updates, however, are only available on the G1 satellite. Initial hit is easiest to do on G1-3, because you can get there even without updated channel maps. There is no difference in "strength" from one DCII channel to another on G1. My 920 returns to G1 at 2am every night for guide updates but it stays on the last channel I was watching on that sat.:)

get a power drill with a 3/4 bit, drill 5 holes in it from the bottom every 1 foot, then stick dynamite in the holes, light it and run like hell!

You are right the tree has to die. It's a shame because I planted the tree about 12 years ago. A nice Willow Oak, it's around thirty feet tall.

Oh well it's going to be fire wood for next winter.

Just hoping that I could pick up the IPG on another sat.

Thanks for the help

Shalom

You are right the tree has to die. It's a shame because I planted the tree about 12 years ago. A nice Willow Oak, it's around thirty feet tall.

Oh well it's going to be fire wood for next winter.

Just hoping that I could pick up the IPG on another sat.

Thanks for the help

Shalom

If the tree is very valuable or really sentimental, is it possible to move the BUD past the tree if you have the space and energy??? :confused:

Set up another BUD if possible (also to avoid service interruption) and when done use the current BUD for FTA or ??? ;)

Dan, pleanty of space but not the energy. I have lots of Willow Oaks, they grow wild. So it looks like a cut down job is in store.

I have another pole installed for a FTA system, that won't be blocked. I have a six foot dish, Gbox, coolast 6000 & 8000 using a BSC 621-2 LNB.

Shalom

I got the same problem about trees near my dish. I can't get G1-3 DC light to work BUT on channel 150 the DC light comes on, but with low quality signal. I heard in the past that 150 can do the same as G1-3.
I can get channels on GB and other satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)