Programming package question?

Joe Q

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
I am looking to dump DISH and get VOOM but the package price and what you really get is confusing to me.

Couple of questions:

A)
Forget about pre Feb 29 prices - I am trying to figure out what the REAL recurring cost is.

Is it true that for $39.90/month I will get the following?
1) 21 HD Channels
2) 40 'cable' type channels
3) 1 Plus Pack of my choosing

B) Discovery HD Theater is NOT one of the 21 HD channels but is in one of the Plus Packs?

C) There is no SCI-FI channel in the line up?

D) How much is a second receiver that I can dedicate to my SA TIVO?

Thanks for any definitive answers that folks can provide.

Joe

(A) Yes
(B) Yes
(C) Yes
(D) $199 + Tax

If you are going to get a second receiver it is better to do it all at once. That is get the 2 receivers and one installation cost. Otherwise it will cost you another installation fee.

Sean Mota said:
(A) Yes
(B) Yes
(C) Yes
(D) $199 + Tax

If you are going to get a second receiver it is better to do it all at once. That is get the 2 receivers and one installation cost. Otherwise it will cost you another installation fee.

Thanks for the answer.

Not sure what to do about not having the SCI-FI channel though.
I could just get DISH's AT50 package but then I have no way to run 2 receivers into my TIVO.

Joe

Joe,
BE warned, I'm in the same boat. Tivo (at this time) offers NO Voom support for its Program Guide! I am getting Voom on Wednesday and will try setting it up using DirectTV or the Dish's program guide. This method you should be able to program using TIME/Channel record for recording but will not be able to record by program name. That is if you can trick the Tivo by finding another receiver code which will work for changing the motorola Voom receiver's channels. I'll post my results next week....Harry

P.S. If Tivo doesn't offer Voom support during the next 6 months, I'll be getting the new Voom PVR this fall for sure!

As far as Plus packs: Is it true that only those that subscribe by Jan 31st will get 1 plus pack free? for 39.99 a month?

Harrypr said:
As far as Plus packs: Is it true that only those that subscribe by Jan 31st will get 1 plus pack free? for 39.99 a month?

No, that's not true. You wil get it anytime.

Is this $39.99 a "sucker" price and will stick for awhile, or are they going to pull a Dish and start upping the price a couple of $$ every year?

Currently I only sub to the HD Pack on Dish and would love to get VOOM for the extra HD, but how is the PQ of their SD programming? Is it better than Dish?

DarrellP said:
Is this $39.99 a "sucker" price and will stick for awhile, or are they going to pull a Dish and start upping the price a couple of $$ every year?

Currently I only sub to the HD Pack on Dish and would love to get VOOM for the extra HD, but how is the PQ of their SD programming? Is it better than Dish?

Your first question: Unknown. They could. Who knows?

Your second question: It depends on what channel you are watching. For example: Starz-HD when showing SD content looks explendid and I can say the same about the NLF Networks. But if I go to Speed or MTV it looks the same as the crappy E* channels. So you gain better PQ for the SD channels but very few and the same as E* for all others. HD quality in their HD channels is excellent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)