Programming the 722k Remote question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Zorlac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Iowa
Can the 4 colored buttons in the middle be programmed for anything? The manual says they're reserved for future use, but afaik the 722k isnt exactly new, so when will these buttons be utilized? I noticed that yellow and blue buttons allow me to change ratios for SD and HD. Red and Green do nothing.

What I'd like to do is map these buttons so I can switch inputs on my AVR. Currently, the 722k is programmed to turn the AVR on and off, something that was impossible to do with my old 3.2ir on my 311 receivers. But thanks to the awesome IR port on the side, I was able to teach my remote using my AVR's remote. I also have it setup to control AVR volume while still in Sat mode.

Being able to switch inputs on the AVR thru the 722k remote would be a HUGE help. Otherwise I'd have to get a Logitech Harmony. Anyone know if the multicolored buttons can be programmed?

Ok apparently not. As soon as I try to program a command to that button the light goes off.

What I need the most is to be able to program the inputs of my AVR to the remote. I can program volume, on/off but thats it. I tried the learning remote again, but somethings not working. For example, I press down Aux for a few seconds and all lights up. With my AVR remote pointing towards the IR port on the side of the 722k remote, I press 1 on the keypad, as I want to assign that to switch to Video 1 on my AVR which is also #1 on my AVR remote. same for #1, #2, and #3, all which correspond to my inputs on the AVR.

But nothing happens. Theres a red light on my AVR that flashes whenever it receives a command. It appears when I press the buttons on the remote, but nothing happens. So commands being sent from the 722k remote seem to be talking to the AVR but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Also the whole "press recall then record for 3 seconds" does nothing. I press Aux button, press recall, then press record for 3 seconds. Nothing happens, the manual says the mode button is supposed to light up, but it doesnt.

What am I doing wrong here? I've already programmed my DVD recorder, and it works great. And to my surprise the remote also recognizes the input button for my LG TV allowing to switch inputs on the TV. All I gotta do is get switching working on the AVR and I'd be very very happy.

EDIT:

I think I know whats up. The tech programmed the remote for our AVR (onkyo hts894) before I got a chance to do it myself. The keypad buttons are assigned to something else (even though they do nothing). I was able to assign one of the buttons (# key) to switch to Video 1 on the AVR. I also figured out the recall/record thing. Press Mode button one, hit recall then hold down Record for a few seconds. However this no longer works. So I guess I cannot override pre-programmed buttons.

So is it possible to clear all codes for Aux mode? I'd like to manually teach the remote vol/power and mute buttons, then assign the input switches. This would be SO much easier if I could use the color buttons for switching. I read on another forum someone was able to set their 722k remote this way. Wonder how he did it.

Last edited:
Consider buying a Logitech Harmony remote control. I have an older 550 remote that controls four devices. It works perfect and can easily be programmed on line with their huge data base.

I will. But I'd still like to know if its possible to switch sources using the remote for my AVR. Out of curiosity, I took my other remote for the living room (211 receiver), and tried programming it. It has no codes programmed for Aux mode, so I was able to map #1 to switch to Video1 on my AVR, so it works. However, I cant do the recall/record sequence after that. It works only once afaik. I guess Im supposed to map all the buttons I want in 1 go BEFORE pressing Aux mode again to end sequence? If so how can I redo it, i.e. clear all codes for Aux mode.

edit:

Ok I figured it out. I had to reprogram the remote using the device code. Then, hold down Aux Mode till all lights go on, press/release Recall, then hold Record for a few seconds. Then with the other remote near the IR port, press a key on the 20.0ir (#1 for example), and press the button on the AVR's remote to map to. I didnt realize that you had to program the buttons you want in 1 session. Cant go back and add more, gotta do the whole thing over again. Hopefully this helps anyone else.

I'll keep doing using the 20.0ir for now and see if I can get used to it. Was planning to get the Harmony 650, but perhaps I'll wait a while and see if and when the Harmony One goes on sale.

Last edited: