Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
So few days ago we had a huge snow storm, 8" of snow here few days ago..
Anyways there was a lot of wind and there was lots of snow piled up on my Slimsline, I was surprised I never lost signal, had almost 3+ inches of snow on my Slimsline and never lost signal (except in the morning).
Even when I saw my slimsline being hit by strong winds and was moving the whole time, I kept getting perfect PQ and signal with no signal loss.
I am saying this because when I had dish network with little wind/snow I would lose signal.
Can this be because the slimsline is a bigger dish?

I am saying this because when I had dish network with little wind/snow I would lose signal.
Either the dish is aimed/anchored better, or it is because of the larger surface. How has your HD and/or LIL performance been?

I am happy with my HD locals, they been great, too bad channel 8 wasn't coming in HD ( KOLO 8 problems not DTV's)
Regarding my DTV satellite, it was on the same pole my Dish Network satellite was on, but I did mention DTV installers using a roll of duct tape, not sure where they put it (can't see it), but that might have been the difference.
Too bad DTV is not adding KREN-HD (CW network in HD yet in my area)

One of the main reasons I left dish was the 129 satellite and reception problems in the PNW. Since moving to DTV I've not lost signal a single time despite a very wet and often windy fall and winter.

I am happy with my HD locals, they been great, too bad channel 8 wasn't coming in HD ( KOLO 8 problems not DTV's)
Regarding my DTV satellite, it was on the same pole my Dish Network satellite was on, but I did mention DTV installers using a roll of duct tape, not sure where they put it (can't see it), but that might have been the difference.
Too bad DTV is not adding KREN-HD (CW network in HD yet in my area)

The pole was probably a 1 7/8th " pole leaving a small amount of of gap, they from time to time will wrap the duct tape to make up the difference and then place the mast over it.

I told my guy's NOT to do that, I didn't want the tape degrading over time.

tightened mast and placed a self tapper into the mast thru the pole. it's not going anywhere, by evidence of the high winds the last week and no signal loss.

Jimbo

Ah crap, we get snow and rain here, I guess it won't last long...but I guess I can call DTV and tell them to send a tech to fix it when the tape is going to degrade and the dish is going to move around too much...
I believe I need to buy a new pole when the time comes...am I right? What pole size would you recommend for the slimline?

Ah crap, we get snow and rain here, I guess it won't last long...but I guess I can call DTV and tell them to send a tech to fix it when the tape is going to degrade and the dish is going to move around too much...
I believe I need to buy a new pole when the time comes...am I right? What pole size would you recommend for the slimline?

Ahh, another user seeing that the "old mast adaption methods" really are not that great in the long run.

Get the 2"OD sch40 galvanized pipe if you are mounting into the ground.
6-ft galvanized mast 2.0 in O.D.
That can be found local too at a plumbing or sprinkler/irrigation supply.

Otherwise just buy the correct OEM mast.

Nope, its on the balcony floor, not in the ground :S
Bummer, I paid 99$ for this tripod, (paid the dish network installer to buy it) oh well..
When the time comes right I will buy the right tripod for the slimline and I don't think there will be any fees for the installer to come and put the new tripod on since I can blame the old installer using mast and my dish losing signal, for now it works...but for later.

Well if looks are not important you could try this for about $20 and 15mins; I know it works 110% and is perfectly stable even in high winds (regardless of the naysayers that will slam its ugliness).

Attachments

• DSCF1337.JPG
    DSCF1337.JPG
    699.9 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCF1338.JPG
    DSCF1338.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 280
LOL!
I'd rather keep something that is presentable :)

So few days ago we had a huge snow storm, 8" of snow here few days ago..
Anyways there was a lot of wind and there was lots of snow piled up on my Slimsline, I was surprised I never lost signal, had almost 3+ inches of snow on my Slimsline and never lost signal (except in the morning).
Even when I saw my slimsline being hit by strong winds and was moving the whole time, I kept getting perfect PQ and signal with no signal loss.
I've Had one outtage with the slimline.And that was from Ice.Snow hasn't been a problem. But my Dishnetwork system as well seems to go out more often.It goes out first everytime during a T storm, and is out the longest every time.This has been the case even when I had Directvs 3lnb. So I'd say the wider dish helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)