Pros & Cons: Exede Satellite Internet versus Verizon HomeFusion Broadband 4G LTE Internet

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
Working on the premise that getting Satellite Internet is the last thing you should get unless there is no other option,I'm curious as to other people's opinion of the two,Exede versus Verizon HomeFusion Broadband. The thing I like about Exede is the Late Night/Early Bird Free Zone that they offer.......WHEN the internet connection works. I researched Verizon & I saw that people complain about how their data cap is measured for their HomeFusion Broadband,that they are hit for overages,even if they are not using the internet & they have to resort to shutting down their modem/router when not in use. the fact is,I haven't really heard good things about either service,& to me,Exede is the best of Satellite Internet. I'd choose them over HughesNet & certainly over Dish Net based on data caps alone. As far as wireless home internet,I've heard of another company called EVDO Depot USA who has plans with unlimited data for $119.00 for 3G & $125.00 for 4G. It looks like both satellite & wireless home internet have rural customers by the short hairs when it comes to internet connection.

Can't speak for Exede, but I was a HughesNet customer for 12 excruciating years. That said, the only alternative then was dialup. But as soon as Home Fusion hit the towers around me, I dropped satellite like a hot potato. I'm on the $60/mo plan (10GB) which is $20 cheaper than I was paying for Hughes. With Verizon, you have the option to shift plans on the fly (online). Overages are $8 or $10 per GB, but it if looks like you're going to go more than 3GB over - you can switch to the 20GB (or 30GB) plan for the rest of the month. Then shift back to your preferred plan at the start of the new billing period.

//greg//

Can't speak for Exede, but I was a HughesNet customer for 12 excruciating years. That said, the only alternative then was dialup. But as soon as Home Fusion hit the towers around me, I dropped satellite like a hot potato. I'm on the $60/mo plan (10GB) which is $20 cheaper than I was paying for Hughes. With Verizon, you have the option to shift plans on the fly (online). Overages are $8 or $10 per GB, but it if looks like you're going to go more than 3GB over - you can switch to the 20GB (or 30GB) plan for the rest of the month. Then shift back to your preferred plan at the start of the new billing period.

//greg//

How do you watch your data usage? I've read people saying that you seem to be charged against your data cap for all LTE activity,whether it's actually yours or not(I don't mean people stealing from your network either). It's like me having to pay for data overages for everyone who has ATT DSL in my neighborhood,even though they all have separate networks.Everybody's usage is counted against my data cap. That's the impression I got about Verizon HomeFusion. the keyword here is "Phantom Usage."

Last edited:
Not sure how that rumor started, I feel I get what I pay for. But 10GB doesn't go far these days. Pretty sure they count both what I send and what I receive against my monthly allowance tho. But I have experienced long lag times between when I consume the data - and when the usage actually shows up in my account. Sometimes as much as 48 hours. That might be how some folks go over their cap. As far as watching, there's only one user. Me. If I think I'm gettin' close to the limit, I check my account online

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)