prospective New Customer, help me understand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gocanes719

Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am thinking of making the switch from comcast to directv mainly for sports but also for the RFDTV channel which relates to my line of work. I am in the process of buying an hdtv so I think the HDTV programming will be a necessity. That will cost me $9.99 a month. Does that $9.99 include HD local channels? My question is about the current NFL promotion and the HD DVR and reciever question. Right now, we need 3 receivers, 1 HD DVR receiver, 1 DVR receiver, and a regular receiver. I am fixing to put a tv in my daughters room in the next month or two. If I understand the website correctly, I have to buy an HD DVR receiver for $299 but I can get a $100 rebate? The other receiver the DVR one can I rent it or do I have to buy it as well? Can people buy there own receivers from classifieds or ebay or is that a no-no?

The current promotion is 4 months of Sunday Ticket? Isn't the 4 months going to be up before the football season is over? Do I need to make sure I write down a date and make changes to my account or will I be warned that my 4 months is over.

Is there any special equipment a person needs to request or make sure they are going to get before the installer comes out? My wife is adamant that our TV signal will be lost everytime it rains. I have been trying to get me wife to let me switch over to directv for a while. Now is probably the best time to do it, agreed?

Sorry for so many questions, I need to make sure I know everything involved before I make a 2 year commitment.

Local HD comes with your local channels,if avail. If you go with a lease you will save a ton of upfront costs,but 2 year contract,on HD equip.You can buy Receiver's on ebay ,but sometimes D* frowns on it for New customers.They want you to atleast buy 1 receiver from them ,or lease. as far as NFL better write down the date,because the only notice your going to get is a Bill!! For HD DVR you need HR-20... DVR they will give you an R-15 ...for nondvr you will get D-11 or D-12.

I am thinking of making the switch from comcast to directv mainly for sports but also for the RFDTV channel which relates to my line of work. I am in the process of buying an hdtv so I think the HDTV programming will be a necessity. That will cost me $9.99 a month. Does that $9.99 include HD local channels? My question is about the current NFL promotion and the HD DVR and reciever question. Right now, we need 3 receivers, 1 HD DVR receiver, 1 DVR receiver, and a regular receiver. I am fixing to put a tv in my daughters room in the next month or two. If I understand the website correctly, I have to buy an HD DVR receiver for $299 but I can get a $100 rebate? The other receiver the DVR one can I rent it or do I have to buy it as well? Can people buy there own receivers from classifieds or ebay or is that a no-no?

The current promotion is 4 months of Sunday Ticket? Isn't the 4 months going to be up before the football season is over? Do I need to make sure I write down a date and make changes to my account or will I be warned that my 4 months is over.

Is there any special equipment a person needs to request or make sure they are going to get before the installer comes out? My wife is adamant that our TV signal will be lost everytime it rains. I have been trying to get me wife to let me switch over to directv for a while. Now is probably the best time to do it, agreed?

Sorry for so many questions, I need to make sure I know everything involved before I make a 2 year commitment.

The $ 9.99 HD fee does not affect the locals .... The locals are normally a part of your package you decide on, if D* has them in HD and you have the HD fee YES you will get them in HD. The $ 9.99 fee covers all HD channels you get, which would be all with the exception of the movie channels and any addl programming such as the NFL ST, in order to get the NFL in HD you need to pay another fee called the Super Fan.... ( it is possible to get this discounted of even free if you work it right)
Kinda round about way to tell you this, but I wanted you to understand how it came to that.

Receivers , You are strictly LEASING the rec's there are very few that are actually OWNED anymore. Even if you get them from ebay, most of the time they are still considered loans.

The current NFL promo : It's the best promo every year, provided your an NFL fan, I see you are :)

The promo covers 4 months oprogramming, be aware, sometime they only offer 3 months of HD fee free.,
Yes you will want to keep track of it as the NFL season is longer than the promo runs, depending on when you get started.

As for going out whenever it rains ????
I have been using the new AT-9 (or slimline, thats what you will get) for 11 months now and have had the normal amount of bad weather, with the exceptionally bad from time to time.
I have lost my signal twice now for about 10 minutes over the course of the year.

Ask her how long the Cablevision signal will be out when the weather takes your cable drop down ... count on 3-5 days
With D* (or DISH) a properly pointed dish will go out ONLY when you have extreme weather and then will be back and working as soon as the storm clears from the SW, usually before you get the weather your service is back in and working.
I love it because if the dish starts to go out, I know in advance that I have real bad weather coming.

Normally it's not a problem, I think the D* reception rate is about 99.5 % I think I heard.

Jimbo

In my experience, the least expensive way to get into D* is to start with a basic system and upgrade gradually.

Over the past year I have gotten all the D* equipment in my sig, plus another HD DVR that is coming Thursday, for about $150. But I started with one SD DVR and 3 standard receives last July.

First any Total Choice package "including" the Total Choice Premier package in the promo comes with your local channels (HD versions included) at no extra cost. Now onto the boxes you will need.

You can get the HD DVR for 200 bucks total upfront.
You can get the SD DVR for 100 bucks upfront.
The basic box is free.

You would need to add the HD Access fee which is required for two reasons below.

1. You must activate the HD Access fee to get the above 100 buck instant rebate on the HD DVR box.

2. You need the HD Access service to get any and I mean any HD channels beyond your local HD channels.

Beyond the above you will need to order NFL Sunday Ticket at the normal price which right now costs 280 bucks for the season. This "doesn't" include any NFL games in HDTV.

To get NFL games in HDTV you must order NFL Sunday Ticket "Superfan" package which will cost an extra 100 bucks.

So to get NFL Sunday Ticket "with" all the HD games you must spend 380 bucks for the NFL games.

So because of all of this above this is my suggestion and its something I have done a few days ago and have in writing now when I sign up next month.

You would call the main DirecTV toll free number and ask to speak to customer rentention. Honestly don't bother with normal sales reps as my experience says they can't do jack. Once your with a customer retention rep tell him/or right away your "not" an existing customer but need "specific" help that sales couldn't handle. This gets you in the door.

So go ahead and ask the rep if he/she can give you the SD DVR box for free and also see what he can do on the HD DVR but I doubt he /she can go lower than 199 for the HD DVR. You key here is to try and get the HD DVR, SD DVR and normal digital box for a total of 200 bucks upfront.

While your on the phone also tell the rep you want NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan free or better. Make sure you add Superfan because you don't want to by mistake to say you want NFL Sunday Ticket free. Again they may even be able to give you a better deal. But for now don't settle for anything less than free NFL SuperFan "and" an HD DVR, SD DVR and digital box for 200 bucks "max".

Also the promo states that if you buy NFL Sunday Ticket you will get "four" free months of their Total Choice Premier package. That package includes all channels (including premium channels like HBO etc). The Premier package also includes the DVR service fee as well. The premier package however "doesn't" include the HD Access fee so you must pay that extra 10 bucks a month but they could give you that free as well you just never know.

I hope I've helped you out and again I'd highly suggest you call DirecTV and speak to somebody in customer retention okay.

That helps. I guess I need to call. The deal is I don't even have an HD set yet. I was scheduled to buy one from a friend today and heard it was a problematic set so now I have cold feet and need to get a new one. I will get on this early next week.

First any Total Choice package "including" the Total Choice Premier package in the promo comes with your local channels (HD versions included) at no extra cost. Now onto the boxes you will need.

You can get the HD DVR for 200 bucks total upfront.
You can get the SD DVR for 100 bucks upfront.
The basic box is free.

You would need to add the HD Access fee which is required for two reasons below.

1. You must activate the HD Access fee to get the above 100 buck instant rebate on the HD DVR box.

2. You need the HD Access service to get any and I mean any HD channels beyond your local HD channels.

Beyond the above you will need to order NFL Sunday Ticket at the normal price which right now costs 280 bucks for the season. This "doesn't" include any NFL games in HDTV.

To get NFL games in HDTV you must order NFL Sunday Ticket "Superfan" package which will cost an extra 100 bucks.

So to get NFL Sunday Ticket "with" all the HD games you must spend 380 bucks for the NFL games.

So because of all of this above this is my suggestion and its something I have done a few days ago and have in writing now when I sign up next month.

You would call the main DirecTV toll free number and ask to speak to customer rentention. Honestly don't bother with normal sales reps as my experience says they can't do jack. Once your with a customer retention rep tell him/or right away your "not" an existing customer but need "specific" help that sales couldn't handle. This gets you in the door.

So go ahead and ask the rep if he/she can give you the SD DVR box for free and also see what he can do on the HD DVR but I doubt he /she can go lower than 199 for the HD DVR. You key here is to try and get the HD DVR, SD DVR and normal digital box for a total of 200 bucks upfront.

While your on the phone also tell the rep you want NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan free or better. Make sure you add Superfan because you don't want to by mistake to say you want NFL Sunday Ticket free. Again they may even be able to give you a better deal. But for now don't settle for anything less than free NFL SuperFan "and" an HD DVR, SD DVR and digital box for 200 bucks "max".

Also the promo states that if you buy NFL Sunday Ticket you will get "four" free months of their Total Choice Premier package. That package includes all channels (including premium channels like HBO etc). The Premier package also includes the DVR service fee as well. The premier package however "doesn't" include the HD Access fee so you must pay that extra 10 bucks a month but they could give you that free as well you just never know.

I hope I've helped you out and again I'd highly suggest you call DirecTV and speak to somebody in customer retention okay.

Longhorn,
You expect a new sub to get ALL of this for under $200 including ST and SF ?

You may be able to pull this off, (I wish I could) I highly doubt a new sub will get all of this.
Parts yes, but not all.

Good luck gocanes719 :up

Jimbo

Longhorn,
You expect a new sub to get ALL of this for under $200 including ST and SF ?

You may be able to pull this off, (I wish I could) I highly doubt a new sub will get all of this.
Parts yes, but not all.

Good luck gocanes719 :up

Jimbo

No I said he could get all the hardware for under 200 bucks "and" get free NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan which almost anybody can get nowadays.

Customer would still most likely have to pay the following fees listed below.

1. HD DVR for 199.99 upfront.
2. SD DVR for free upfront.
3. Digital box for free.

Of the above charges DirecTV is only reducing the costs by 100 bucks total if they give him those prices. I consider this as really doable for DirecTV even for a new customer.

Customer would also have to pay the four payments of about 70 bucks for the base NFL Sunday Ticket package but he would get free Superfan which again isn't out of the question.

So if the customer can get the deal I said and yes I think he will this would be exactly what he would pay and what discounts he would get.

300.00 - HD DVR upfront cost.
100.00 - HD DVR instant rebate.

200.00 - Net HD DVR upfront cost.

100.00 - SD DVR upfront cost.
100.00 - Customer Retention credit.

Free - Net SD DVR upfront cost.

Free - Basic digital box is always free now.

280.00 - Upfront cost for NFL Sunday Ticket "base" package (4 monthly payments of 70 bucks).

100.00 - NFL Sunday Ticket "superfan" upfront cost.

Free = Net cost for NFL Sunday Ticket "superfan.

If the customer can get those "two" 100.00 Customer retention credits as listed above it would leave his net overall cost for the hardware at 200.00. It would also leave his net cost of the Sunday Ticket package "with" Superfan of 280.00.

Beyond everything above the customer would also get most likely the new customer offer which is "four" free months of the Total Choice Premier package with local channels. This package is priced at 100.00/month.

I don't believe that anything listed above would be something that should be a hard time getting from DirecTV. DirecTV will work much hardware to get HDTV and NFL Sunday Ticket subs compared to anytime before. Also HDTV is what they are banking their future on so again they are much more likely to give an extra 200 bucks in credits to not take the chance of never getting that customer back again. Also if DirecTV (I think they do think this way) considers the Superfan for free credit a normal part of doing business than it would only be in DirecTVs view just an extra 100.00 credit which is nothing at all for that return on investment for DirecTV.

I am calling today. Is there a certain dish or receiver I need to ask for. I need 4 receivers total.

What do I need for a phone line. I had a VOIP phone and they went belly up last week.

Do I need to call a certain number of ask for something particular when I call?

My neighbor just told me that if I mention him I will get $50 off and he will too, anyone heard of that?

Yes Directv gives you money if you are a directv subscriber and you refer someone. Dont know the amount but they have a referral program.

My neighbor just told me that if I mention him I will get $50 off and he will too, anyone heard of that?

Yes Directv gives you money if you are a directv subscriber and you refer someone. Dont know the amount but they have a referral program.

However he has to call the correct phone number or they won't work with you.
I lost money this way, so I no longer refer anyone.

Jimbo

No I said he could get all the hardware for under 200 bucks "and" get free NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan which almost anybody can get nowadays.

Customer would still most likely have to pay the following fees listed below.

1. HD DVR for 199.99 upfront.
2. SD DVR for free upfront.
3. Digital box for free.

Of the above charges DirecTV is only reducing the costs by 100 bucks total if they give him those prices. I consider this as really doable for DirecTV even for a new customer.

Customer would also have to pay the four payments of about 70 bucks for the base NFL Sunday Ticket package but he would get free Superfan which again isn't out of the question.

So if the customer can get the deal I said and yes I think he will this would be exactly what he would pay and what discounts he would get.

300.00 - HD DVR upfront cost.
100.00 - HD DVR instant rebate.

200.00 - Net HD DVR upfront cost.

100.00 - SD DVR upfront cost.

Free - Net SD DVR upfront cost.

Free - Basic digital box is always free now.

280.00 - Upfront cost for NFL Sunday Ticket "base" package (4 monthly payments of 70 bucks).

100.00 - NFL Sunday Ticket "superfan" upfront cost.

Free = Net cost for NFL Sunday Ticket "superfan.

If the customer can get those "two" 100.00 Customer retention credits as listed above it would leave his net overall cost for the hardware at 200.00. It would also leave his net cost of the Sunday Ticket package "with" Superfan of 280.00.

Beyond everything above the customer would also get most likely the new customer offer which is "four" free months of the Total Choice Premier package with local channels. This package is priced at 100.00/month.

I don't believe that anything listed above would be something that should be a hard time getting from DirecTV. DirecTV will work much hardware to get HDTV and NFL Sunday Ticket subs compared to anytime before. Also HDTV is what they are banking their future on so again they are much more likely to give an extra 200 bucks in credits to not take the chance of never getting that customer back again. Also if DirecTV (I think they do think this way) considers the Superfan for free credit a normal part of doing business than it would only be in DirecTVs view just an extra 100.00 credit which is nothing at all for that return on investment for DirecTV.

We called tonight and got what is listed here. Paid $200 for the HD DVR got a $10 off credit for the year which paid for the second DVR and got $50 referral credit. I ordered the ESPN gameplan to but they wouldn't cut me a deal on that. THE bad part is they can't install the system until August 25th. I was shocked there is a 3 week delay in installing equipment. That is bad especially considering I live in Houston,TX.

Some locations are worse off than others. Took me 2 weeks from time of order until I went live. At least you'll be installed before Week 1!

Don't worry about not having the HD set when you are installed. The HR20 does a good job of "downconverting" the HD signal to a regular SD set. You'll be very impressed by the picture quality of HD even on an SD set.

Go Canes, I live in San Antonio, Texas. I signed up with Directv on Monday, the 6th. The rep I spoke with set up an installation appointment for the following week, the 14th. I decided the next day to upgrade my hardware (from HD receiver to HD-DVR), called back, talked to another rep who cancelled the original order, created a new order ticket with the hardware upgrade, gave me a discount, and moved my installation date to the 9th, tomorrow morning between 8-12.

Call back to see if a rep can set up an earlier installation appointment for you. The rep who set my original installation date suggested I do so. Folks ahead of us cancel out sometimes which creates an open opportunity for those of us who can't or don't want to wait weeks for their installations. Calling back definitely worked for me :up

We called tonight and got what is listed here. Paid $200 for the HD DVR got a $10 off credit for the year which paid for the second DVR and got $50 referral credit. I ordered the ESPN gameplan to but they wouldn't cut me a deal on that. THE bad part is they can't install the system until August 25th. I was shocked there is a 3 week delay in installing equipment. That is bad especially considering I live in Houston,TX.

I figured that the install dates would be out aways seeing we are getting close to the new HD channels coming on board, I would imagine it will stay that way for awhile, but it all depends on what area you live in.
Also tha fact that the NFL season is about to start will also affect this time frame.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts