"Protected" Message on SONY

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I am using an older SONY STR DE-845 receiver in my living room (as my main receiver has taken up HT room duty); the other day there was a brief outage (caused by a bad UPS that I have replaced), and while the Dish, TV, and HD DVD players are fine, the SONY receiver is having problems.

I turn on the receiver, all ok. I turn on Dish and the audio comes in for a second, and then goes away, with the message PROTECTED flashing across the LCD of the receiver.

I have no idea where the manual for that old receiver is, but am wondering if anyone knows what is going on.

I am connecting via optical cables from Dish to the receiver and from HD DVD to the receiver.

I am using an older SONY STR DE-845 receiver in my living room (as my main receiver has taken up HT room duty); the other day there was a brief outage (caused by a bad UPS that I have replaced), and while the Dish, TV, and HD DVD players are fine, the SONY receiver is having problems.

I turn on the receiver, all ok. I turn on Dish and the audio comes in for a second, and then goes away, with the message PROTECTED flashing across the LCD of the receiver.

I have no idea where the manual for that old receiver is, but am wondering if anyone knows what is going on.

I am connecting via optical cables from Dish to the receiver and from HD DVD to the receiver.

The protect indicator is most likely an indicator that the output crowbar protection has kicked in. This would indicate a short in one or more of your output stages.

Web search is your friend here. I found a number of links that would indicate that this is a known problem with this unit.

StR-DE945 stuck in auto protect mode - FixYa
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony STR-DE845 Surround Receiver (do a ^f search for 'protect')

A link to an online manual (Great Britian version)
STR-DE845 : Manuals : Support : Sony Asia Pacific

Oh yeah, one more link with built in recommendation on how to fix this: :)
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?EDP=38607351

Seriously, you first need to check your speaker wiring and make sure there are no shorts. Do this by disconnecting both ends and verifying with an ohmmeter that the resistance is infinite. Then connect the two wires on one end and measure across them at the other end to make sure there is 0 ohms resistance. Second check the speakers themselves. Measure across the speaker terminals. You should get between 4 and 8 ohms. I have seen (rare) cases where a close lightning strike has induced currents into speaker voice coils, causing shorts. If both of these check out OK, the receiver's output stages are blown and will likely cost more to fix than the unit is worth.

You can do a quick and dirty ohmmeter check by just disconnecting at the receiver and verifying 4-8 ohms across them. Yopu are basically combining all three tests there, and if it comes out OK, you don't need to go any further.

BTW, I just bought one of those ecost Onkyo 605 units. Nice solid design, clean sound, good features and comes with a full 1 year refurb warranty.

Last edited:
It was the center channel speaker wire. Not sure what was wrong with it, but once I replaced it, the problem went away. I am just glad the speaker is still ok.

Thanks for the links. I had a brain fart last night or I would have done a google myself. Dumb. But much appreciated.

I realized it wasn't the receiver, when I swapped out another one and had the same problem.

Glad it worked out so easily. I hope this was on the upstairs system so you don't have to fish new wires in the theater.

Glad it worked out so easily. I hope this was on the upstairs system so you don't have to fish new wires in the theater.

It was the upstairs system. I just can't figure out what was wrong. Maybe a wire got crossed; but I've used that same speaker wire for a long time.

But the system is doing pretty well right now; Its just 3.1 for the time being, until I can find a rocketfish to setup two rear surrounds (living room is not setup for surround).

If it was the HT room, I would have been calling the installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts