PS3 Blu ray on 720p DLP Samsung

mckots

Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
south florida
Hi all, I know some of this as been discussed before but this is a bit of a different question.

Just got a ps3, I have a 50" Samsung DLP 720p. I've noticed some blu ray discs look grainy and not as sharp as others.

For instance..the movie 300. With the background, all the clouds, sky etc, it really seems grainy u can make out all the tiny pixels I guess thats what it is.

I'm using a fairly cheap HDMI cable. Could it be this? Or do I really need a 1080i tv to make blu rays look right?

Thank you

in my opinion you need a 1080 res on your tv. to me blu ray on a 720p tv looks slightly better but does look better on 1080
I agree. 1080i is a bit crisper on my 56" DLP. My player is a Pan DB30.

Hi all, I know some of this as been discussed before but this is a bit of a different question.

Just got a ps3, I have a 50" Samsung DLP 720p. I've noticed some blu ray discs look grainy and not as sharp as others.

For instance..the movie 300. With the background, all the clouds, sky etc, it really seems grainy u can make out all the tiny pixels I guess thats what it is.

I'm using a fairly cheap HDMI cable. Could it be this? Or do I really need a 1080i tv to make blu rays look right?

Thank you

1. It shouldn't have anything to do with your HDMI cable. More expensive doesn't mean better. That's a huge myth. $5 Monoprice HDMI cables are just as good as $100 Monster brand ones.

2. 300 isn't the ideal HD Demo film to judge your setup. The "grain" you speak of is actually intentional and is an artistic style left in by the director.

3. Along with the increased picture quality that Blu Ray brings, it also adds a dramatically better color palate and increased sound quality that is superior to DVD. I also have a PS3 and 720p and the advanages of Blu-Ray over DVD is still quite noticable whether I have a 1080i/1080p or not.

Yea, im sure it looks better. But I'm sitting here trying to justify getting a 1080i just for the increase in quality with blu-ray.

With regular HD channels and video games this TV looks amazing even if its 720p. Its 3 years old at 50" Switching to a quality 50" LCD 1080i will set me back 2k or so.

Does anyone find it worth it to upgrade? Do video games look better as well? I read somewhere all games are max resolution 720p anyway?

To be honest with you, Ive owned 3 upconvertors, a PS3, a Samsung BDP-1000, and then a BD30 all on 720p tv's. They all gave me a sharper image set to 1080i, as opposed to 720p. My current 1080p tv likes 1080i from the dvr better than 720p, even on the 720p channels. Cant explain it.

As far as changing tvs, I would not. Just set any upconversion to 1080i and enjoy, and as stated, 300 is a horrible movie for PQ demo. Try something like Transformers, or the new Hulk in the daylight scenes.

300 isn't the ideal HD Demo film to judge your setup. The "grain" you speak of is actually intentional and is an artistic style left in by the director.

Yep. And keep in mind, some Blu-rays have better PQ than others. Not all movies are given the best treatment before placing on Blu-ray, sad to say.

I have a 61" 720 LCoS set, and a 52" 1080 LCD set. Both look great with Blu-ray. Keep in mind, some networks transmit in 720.

Whats weird is on my ps3 display settings, it was set to automatic. Then it said on automatic, my tv supported 480, 720 and 1080. I know for a fact my tv is only 720, so i unchecked 1080 to see if it made a difference. It didnt really.

Not sure if I should mess with that or leave as is or why it would have 1080 checked. Maybe thats just the default.

Also, is a vga cable better quality than HDMI?

Thx again for all the replies!

Whats weird is on my ps3 display settings, it was set to automatic. Then it said on automatic, my tv supported 480, 720 and 1080. I know for a fact my tv is only 720, so i unchecked 1080 to see if it made a difference. It didnt really.

Not sure if I should mess with that or leave as is or why it would have 1080 checked. Maybe thats just the default.

Also, is a vga cable better quality than HDMI?

Thx again for all the replies!

This may depend on how the TV and PS3 are negotiating for resolution. I agree with Elway and Navy that the image looks better when I feed 1080i into my 720P Toshiba DLP.

Try unchecking EVERYTHING except 1080i on the PS3 and see if that makes a difference.

BTW, there is a difference in HDMI cables. Some older cables built to the 1.0 spec didn't have the bandwidth to handle 1080P, so you do want to look for cables with a 1.3 spec. As others have noted, that doesn't mean expensive.

Also remember that upgrading does not always mean getting a better picture quality. The quality also depends on how far you sit from the TV also.

One thing a lot of people overlook is having the TV calibrated properly. While an ISF calibration is ideal, a self calibration using an HT disc like AVIA, Sound and Vision, DVE or even a THX program often found on Disney DVDs can help a lot.

And I would say a VGA cable will not be as good as an HDMI.

Not necessarily. VGA is analog like component and every bit as good as HDMI for video signal transfer. The one advantage of VGA, which only PCs and the Xbox 360 use, is that the exact resolution can be set. Since many 720p LCD and DLPs are really1366x768, there is one less conversion to the actual output. In this case no one uses VGA because STB's and Blu ray players only use component or HDMI.

Last edited:
Yea, im sure it looks better. But I'm sitting here trying to justify getting a 1080i just for the increase in quality with blu-ray.

With regular HD channels and video games this TV looks amazing even if its 720p. Its 3 years old at 50" Switching to a quality 50" LCD 1080i will set me back 2k or so.

Does anyone find it worth it to upgrade? Do video games look better as well? I read somewhere all games are max resolution 720p anyway?

I'm not sure you can still buy a 1080i TV anywhere... the only thing I would say is that getting a 1080p/120Hz TV might give you a more noticable difference (because of the refresh rate) with a Blu-Ray than just the upgraded resolution alone.

Of course, this is coming from someone that doesn't have one - just going by what I've read and seen with my own eyes on demo sets and a friend's house...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)